Apple drops cross-appeal of final judgment in Samsung lawsuit, no longer seeks permanent injunction

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    sog35 wrote: »
    You do know that Samsung report revenue is down 10% this quarter and profits down 25%.
    While Apple showed 20% EPS growth while making double the profit of Samsung (mobile division)

All this while Samsung just released their flagship phone while Apples flagship is 9 months old.

Samsung is not dominating. Apple is.

Exactly!
  • Reply 22 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Samsung does not care to look like fools. In the end it's Apple that looked foolish, throwing all it's litigation power and coming out with a measly payout, while Samsung continues to dominate, yes dominate.

In what universe do you live in where selling half as many phones as Apple is "dominating"?

• Reply 23 of 55
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    magman1979 wrote: »
    Except Samsung doesn't see what's coming in the form of iOS 8 and the new iPhone 6. Their recent ads wreak of desperation, and they're like a deer in the headlights of a freight train heading right at them.

I predict fun times ahead ;)
    But samsungs had all that for years¡
  • Reply 24 of 55
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

Apple's laughing their way to the bank, Samsung's laughing their way to the bank, the lawyers are laughing their way to the bank, AI's laughing their way to the bank (thanks to clickbait headlines)...

Is there anyone who isn't laughing their way to the bank?

BlackBerry, Microsoft (Windows Phone team), Nokia, LG, HTC.

Did I leave anybody out of the sad-face-in-mobile party?

Pretty sure I did.

• Reply 25 of 55
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Samsung does not care to look like fools. In the end it's Apple that looked foolish, throwing all it's litigation power and coming out with a measly payout ...

Samsung spent billions to kill off all other serious Android competitors. 

It worked.  They're all gone.  Not even Google's Nexus sells in any quantity.

And Amazon's fork of Android serves only one purpose: to ring up sales for Amazon.

You could argue that Apple's lawsuit against Samsung didn't just get them $1.05 billion.

It also fired a warning shot heard 'round the world by all would-be Android hardware copycats.

Apparently Xiaomi is hoping the (corrupt) Chinese government will protect them somehow.

Or maybe Apple will let Xiaomi eat Samsung's sales from the bottom up.

Because only a fool would mistake a Mi Phone for an iPhone.

And only a cheapskate would intentionally buy a Mi Phone instead of a real iPhone.

And cheapskates are outside Apple's target demographic.

• Reply 26 of 55
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member

well that was a complete waste of time...

• Reply 27 of 55
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    The amount of optimism on this thread is funny.

last month it was "crush sammy!"

today it's "who cares? sammy isn't important"

Apple should have completely annihilated Sammy.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    In what universe do you live in where selling half as many phones as Apple is "dominating"?

In the universe of Android manufacturers. Have you not seen how much more Samsung sells than the next nearest competitor?
  • Reply 29 of 55
    Estimated high end Samsung phones sales for 2014 - 80 million
    Estimated high end iPhones sales for 2014 - 170 million

Samsung can continue to sell 100 million $200 phones if they want to.
    Actually they won't since the Chinese makers are eating there lunch lately.  

Except I said Android manufacturers. Show me Motorla's, LG's, and HTC's numbers.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    those all make $0

dominating a crappy platform is not dominating.

Apple makes 70% of the profits in the entire industry

go buy a Samdung Universe S9 and report to us next week

Seriously are you like 15 yrs old? You can be so knowledge at times, and sound absolutely foolish on others.

Btw "dominating a crappy platform is not dominating" is contradictory. It may not be dominating to your liking, but that doesn’t mean that they're not.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    It seems to me that Apple is right not to pursue this, even apart from the fact that the products at issue are no longer being made. Samsung is circling the drain in high end mobile. Most of what they sell, sells because it's cheap; and those buyers have no loyalty to Samsung. Most of the buyers of the high end Galaxy phones are with Samsung because they hate Apple but can't stomach Win Ph8. If something better comes along, they're gone too.

The fun will really start after Apple releases the iWatch. Will the next Samsung Galaxy Smart Watch still look like a late '70s digital watch, that they so boldly brought to market, 'leading the industry', or will it look like a cheap copy of the iWatch?
  • Reply 32 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    cali wrote: »
    The amount of optimism on this thread is funny.

last month it was "crush sammy!"

today it's "who cares? sammy isn't important"

Apple should have completely annihilated Sammy.

Oh, they'll still do that... in the marketplace and with developers.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    In the universe of Android manufacturers. Have you not seen how much more Samsung sells than the next nearest competitor?
    Moving the goal posts again. I clearly stated that Samsung sells half as many phones as Samsung. Why are trying to turn this into Android vs the iPhone when the article is clearly about Apple and Samsung?
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Except I said Android manufacturers. Show me Motorla's, LG's, and HTC's numbers.
    Except that I stated Samsung vs Apple.

However I'll play along. It's been said Samsung outsells Motorola, LG and HTC combined.

Therefore, the iPhone outsells the top 4 Android manufacturers COMBINED.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

It was never about getting a big settlement.  No way any court will award a company $10B 

Absolutely true.

If I had TS's talent, I'd clip that bit of the Joker lighting the pile of cash on fire and saying 'It's not about the money. It's about sending a message' from 'The Dark Knight'!

EDIT: @sog35 - love reading your posts. Props to you!

• Reply 35 of 55
    Quote:

Samsung does not care to look like fools. In the end it's Apple that looked foolish, throwing all it's litigation power and coming out with a measly payout, while Samsung continues to dominate, yes dominate. Samsung will run a few more wall-hugger ads, and flood the chat-rooms with anti-Apple / pro Samsung sentiments, get someone to make another "theatre" on PBS of how horrible conditions are at Foxconn, and bob's your uncle.

If Apple could've EVER been successful in litigation it would've been with the original iPhone and then the iPad, things could've never been so cut-n-dry.

Where's @Slurpy when you need him?

• Reply 36 of 55
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

EDIT: @sog35 - love reading your posts. Props to you!

He’s right on point here.

• Reply 37 of 55
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

Apple's laughing their way to the bank, Samsung's laughing their way to the bank, the lawyers are laughing their way to the bank, AI's laughing their way to the bank (thanks to clickbait headlines)...

Is there anyone who isn't laughing their way to the bank?

AI readers.

• Reply 38 of 55
    Back when Samsung made the Matrix phone, they were cool. They even got the guy who played an Agent in the movie in an ad.

The sad part is that if they had diverted half their ad budget to their R&D dept., they may have still had something cool.

I, for one, am still disappointed with the outcome of the lawsuits against Samsung by Apple. I think Apple wuz robbed.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

It was Nokia that made the cooler of the two phones show cased in Matrix, I know, I have a signed one with Keanu Reeves signature sitting in my Nokia display right now, Samsung's version was just awful in every single way imaginable.

It wasn't until the Nokia 7650 though that this particular form factor really took off.

• Reply 40 of 55
    Moving the goal posts again. I clearly stated that Samsung sells half as many phones as Samsung. Why are trying to turn this into Android vs the iPhone when the article is clearly about Apple and Samsung?
    Except that I stated Samsung vs Apple.

However I'll play along. It's been said Samsung outsells Motorola, LG and HTC combined.

Therefore, the iPhone outsells the top 4 Android manufacturers COMBINED.

I didn't deny Apple's dominance, but that doesn’t mean there cannot exist another dominant player.