UBS praises Apple CEO Tim Cook for thinking 'big,' pushing for iOS to become ubiquitous

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Yes, Google is shooting the moon 24/7! What does it have to show for it? A group of devoted fanbots praising the company in the comments section of the Verge! And nothing but revenues from the same PC web ads its been relying on since it was founded.

Apple is building an ecosystem and platform. Google is introducing exciting new strategies every year that are abandoned and replaced the next year. Google doesn't even have a copycat Android tablet platform, just a stretched smartphone platform that nobody uses for anything but watching pirated videos. What an amazing lost opportunity! Google should have tried to be Microsoft. Instead it is trying to be Linux.

For the kids who didn't observe the 90s, Microsoft made money, Linux gave an idealistic minority a cute logo to ineffectually rally behind. 

Google is a one franchise company (search->ad revenue) on PC desktop and is attempting and failing badly to create more franchises. The share price is predicated on achieving those new franchises and once Wall street gets an inkling that these franchises are not happening - oops the share price will sink to a level based on only that one franchise namely search / ads. Essentially Google is a Ponzi scheme based on the promise of future revenue. The founders cashed out already  and when , not if, the word gets out that those pie in the sky revenues are a fallacy,  the share price will drop to reflect a multiple of the usual 15 P/E ratio -  I estimate a drop of about half to $250 to $300 a share range. It already is starting to happen to Amazon, Google is next.

• Reply 22 of 35
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Actually they started out as prune yards image

Prune help as  laxative! Look at HPQ! -     lol there's a company full of it

• Reply 23 of 35
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    paul94544 wrote: »

Mars??? You've got to be kidding. After the Apollo missions, we've never been more than a few hundred miles above Earth, nowhere close to reaching the moon, never mind Mars.
    Manned missions true but not unmanned as always there are clueless people who only see the surface and don't think deeply enough. We don't need manned missions anymore fool! 

Velcro is the answer ... What was the question?

This might be worth considering

A number of Velcro brand products were displayed at a fashion show at the Waldorf-Astoria hotel in New York in 1959,[16] and the fabric got its first break when it was used in the aerospace industry to help astronauts maneuver in and out of bulky space suits. However, this reinforced the view among the populace that Velcro was something with very limited utilitarian uses. The next major use Velcro saw was with skiers, who saw the similarities between their costume and the astronauts, and thus saw the advantages of a suit that was easier to don and remove. Scuba and marine gear followed soon after. Having seen astronauts storing food pouches on walls,[17] children's clothing makers came on board.[15] As Velcro only became widely used after NASA's adoption of it, NASA is popularly — and incorrectly — credited with its invention. By the mid-1960s Velcro was used in the futuristic creations of fashion designers such as Pierre Cardin, André Courrèges and Paco Rabanne.[18]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velcro

"That's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind."
    -- Neil Armstrong
  • Reply 24 of 35
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    paul94544 wrote: »
    Actually they started out as prune yards :)
    Prune help as  laxative! Look at HPQ! -     lol there's a company full of it

Ha!

In 1978, our Sunnyvale Computer Plus store was located in a shopping center at Fremont and Mary in Sunnyvale -- .7 mile from Apple's new headquarters on Bandley Drive in Cupertino (a block NE of Stevens Creek and Sunnyvale-Saratoga (later renamed to De Anza.)

Our landlord Steve Vidovich had his office across Mary Ave. from the store.

I wish I had access to it, but on Steve's wall was an old photograph with an areal view. In the center was Steve's father's (or grandfather's) farm house -- with nothing but orchards for miles around in every direction.

Nice!
  • Reply 25 of 35
    knowitall wrote: »
    Thinking big. That would be putting skylon to the sky, having your own satellite network, making electric cars Apple style and putting liquid metal into it all, and perhaps even going to Mars.
    Haven't seen that.

A few people going to Mars vs. hundreds of millions of people using iOS every day to interact with the digital world.
    Now who is thinking big?
  • Reply 26 of 35
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by knowitall View Post

Thinking big. That would be putting skylon to the sky, having your own satellite network, making electric cars Apple style and putting liquid metal into it all, and perhaps even going to Mars.

Haven't seen that.

No, that's called being ridiculous and unrealistic. Going to Mars? Yeah, maybe Apple should empty it's entire bank account into going to a piece of rock. I'm sure that will please consumers.  

• Reply 27 of 35
    mrphil49mrphil49 Posts: 22member
    Apple Is big into solar power having put 1/2 a billion $ into GTAT & going almost off the electric grid w/their mega solar farms. Apple is also big into Liquid Metal who also has contracts w/NASA & Boeing. There are ways to support improving the quality of our lives w/out throwing $ away as does Google.
    If Wall Street understood Apple, then I would be worried. Making money in playing the market is all about knowing why a company will grow & not about past performance. With 80% of all stock trades made by computers using algorithms as their reason to buy/sell, how can you expect the brokerages to truly make money except by manipulating the market for short term gains. Apple keeps that pile of cash to make sure they never join Palm or Dell or (soon) Blackberry.
    Yes, of course I have money in Apple. Bought in @ $7 a share when Steve came back & saw what Ive had hidden in his workshop.
    ps: NASA going to the moon was a huge boon to the American economy.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    This 'clown' was working at Apple since 1998, earning his way up in the ladder. You don't become a company CEO by being a clown.
    sog35 wrote: »
    Where was this clown 12 month - 18 months ago?
  • Reply 29 of 35
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

Yes, Google is shooting the moon 24/7! What does it have to show for it? A group of devoted fanbots praising the company in the comments section of the Verge! And nothing but revenues from the same PC web ads its been relying on since it was founded.

Apple is building an ecosystem and platform. Google is introducing exciting new strategies every year that are abandoned and replaced the next year. Google doesn't even have a copycat Android tablet platform, just a stretched smartphone platform that nobody uses for anything but watching pirated videos. What an amazing lost opportunity! Google should have tried to be Microsoft. Instead it is trying to be Linux.

For the kids who didn't observe the 90s, Microsoft made money, Linux gave an idealistic minority a cute logo to ineffectually rally behind. 

Not the moon, that is already done, I said Mars!

And no, all goals I mentioned are attainable at this moment.

• Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

No, that's called being ridiculous and unrealistic. Going to Mars? Yeah, maybe Apple should empty it's entire bank account into going to a piece of rock. I'm sure that will please consumers.  

Thats always better than burning the money like they do now.

And no, all things mentioned are realistic, I guess you are not.

• Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

A few people going to Mars vs. hundreds of millions of people using iOS every day to interact with the digital world.

Now who is thinking big?

I guess I struck a nerve.

Going to Mars is perhaps a bigger issue, but why not both?

What about the other targets I mentioned?

• Reply 32 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Manned missions true but not unmanned as always there are clueless people who only see the surface and don't think deeply enough. We don't need manned missions anymore fool! 

You should save this quote for later generations. To them it would be clear who is the real fool.

• Reply 33 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by knowitall View Post

Not the moon, that is already done, I said Mars!

He’s using an expression, but Google IS actually shooting for the moon.

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

You are a physical and psychological threat to humanity itself. Never, EVER say this again.

• Reply 34 of 35
    He’s using an expression, but Google IS actually shooting for the moon.

I know, I made a joke.
    That's why I added the second sentence.