Xiaomi's Redmi Note allegedly sending user data to China surreptitiously

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    inteliusqinteliusq Posts: 111member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Landcruiser View Post

Guess they better hand over their source code to the Russia government too.

I was just thinking that.

• Reply 22 of 32
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    mstone wrote: »
    Governments already have control. Controlling the masses is what they were elected to do. They pass and enforce laws. Control does not explain spying. Why would the US spy on both friendly and adversarial countries? It can't be for control of the masses because they are citizens of a different country. Your explanation uses way too much tin foil.

Governments do not have control by merely implementing and (partially) enforcing laws.

They spy on their own citizens to find out what is happening beneath the surface. Whether that is to understand threats to national security or otherwise. Foreign powers are spied on for numerous reasons. Again threats to security or to find out information which could be useful to trade or a whole raft of other reasons.

To dismiss my comments as tin foil shows you haven't actually looked at what information was being gleaned by spying.

Google 'US spies on Germany' to kick off.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    obviously it's a glitch. how else would code be present that still executed after the phone had a new operating system installed, that would send things like sms messages to companies server? Everybody puts code like that at the very lowest level of their baseband firmware, if not actually coded on the radio hardware chips directly.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by lukei View Post

What amazes me is that people are surprised that governments are spying on them.

It’s not like we have laws to prevent that from happening or anything.

Oh, wait.

They spy on their own citizens to find out what is happening beneath the surface.

Which isn’t allowed.

...shows you haven’t actually looked at what information was being gleaned by spying.

All studies into this matter show that no relevant information was gleaned. What’s your point?

• Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It’s not like we have laws to prevent that from happening or anything.

Oh, wait.

Which isn’t allowed.

All studies into this matter show that no relevant information was gleaned. What’s your point?

It's always best when commenting to look at the question being answered first. Look at what I was responding to.

Just for your reference having a law against something does not prevent people doing it, otherwise courtrooms around the world would be very quiet places and we could fire all of our police. 

• Reply 26 of 32

Just for your reference having a law against something does not prevent people doing it...

At least you acknowledge the point of the discussion, even if you don’t comprehend it.

• Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

At least you acknowledge the point of the discussion, even if you don’t comprehend it.

I often wonder if you just have to have the last word.

I comprehend the point of the discussion perfectly. Your stated belief that having laws in place stops things happening is however beyond logical comprehension.

• Reply 28 of 32
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Why people worry about info sending to servers somewhere?  I never use any real info on my phone.  They can get whatever they want.  Everything is made up.  Even the location is fake by using an app faking the location info.  Stop using your real info on the phone.  You're trusting your phone more than yourself?

• Reply 29 of 32

I comprehend the point of the discussion perfectly.

Were this true, your last post wouldn’t have been made.

Your stated belief...

Thank you for confirming exactly what I just said: you didn’t read.

Originally Posted by ipen View Post

I never use any real info on my phone.  They can get whatever they want.  Everything is made up.  Even the location is fake by using an app faking the location info.  Stop using your real info on the phone.  You're trusting your phone more than yourself?

You’re insane. “Stop using your phone as a phone, or as a device for any purpose” is not an answer. Allowing this to happen is not an answer.

• Reply 30 of 32
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    I would suggest reading some John le Carré, particularly the Smiley books for an insider's viewpoint. He explains the many reasons for spying and why governments do it. They can't afford [I]Not[/I] to. If your friends and enemies know more about what 'your' people think and do - than you do, then you're in big trouble.
    With that out of the way, the pervasiveness and extent are mere questions of deniability. Public concerns are only 'of concern' when that deniability is threatened.
    He pretty much covers it all.
  • Reply 31 of 32

What the hell do people expect from a Chinese company, or China in general?

You have to be on drugs to buy any device loading up with Chinese software.