Microsoft sues Samsung over unpaid Android patent royalties

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by netrox View Post

I am not understanding this... why is Samsung paying royalties to MS for using Android? Isn't Android made by Google? It makes no sense to me. 

Microsoft has some patents that it claims are infringed by Android. So far, all the Android folks have licensed the patents rather than fight MS in court.

We don't know what the patents cover, since the contracts have provisions that prevent the licensees from disclosing them (NDA of some sort).

• Reply 62 of 72
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Samsung is a shameful company. In what world would an acquisition mean that you no longer need to uphold your contracts?

Sometimes contracts have provisions that terminate the contract in the case of an acquisition. 

For example, since this is Microsoft licensing stuff to Samsung, it would not be surprising to find a provision that would terminate the contract if Samsung was acquired by someone else. But it would be most uncommon for MS's contract to have a provision that caused termination if MS were acquired. Mainly because that would mean that the contract could not be regarded as a asset in such a sale (as it would be worthless in that circumstance). And entirely weird if MS's acquisition of Nokia would invalidate it.

My guess is that Samsung is, again, just trying to see what they can get away with. I expect them to try to re-open the issue of whether or not the technology is patent-eligible, given the recent rulings from the Supreme Court. MS will do well to keep it as purely a licensing issue.

• Reply 63 of 72
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    jungmark wrote: »
    No GM either, I suppose.

OMG no more GM! I was a GM vehicle user, but left GM several decades back for Chrysler. I still look at GM cars at the auto shows and occasionally get a GM rental; what crap !
    Chrysler got screwed for their money by Daimler/Mercedes then a NY hedge fund,
    being left with no money and no car designers.
    We still have 11 and 13 yr old Chrysler cars, fortunately running very well. We are still driving them hoping Chrysler comes out with a car that suits our needs, but unfortunately nothing yet.
    With their Fiat connection I don't expect they will produce a car that suits me.
    If we had to buy a car now the VW Passat 1.8L TSI would be on our short list, after a successful 2wk 2,300 mile rental.
    Made in NA/USA BTW ! Ford also has a few cars that may suite us; their European designed models.
  • Reply 64 of 72
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    disturbia wrote: »
    Oh boy!

Microsoft is NO Apple. Apple is soft ... Microsoft ....well.... :smokey:
    On another note, needed a shiny new SSD for my office PC (running Win7 :embarrass )!

The sales guy tried his best to sell me one from Samsung. :\  And, looking at price and specs, I was soooooo very close .... :no:

Left the store with one from OCZ! Cost a little more ... but you know what? I didn't give my $$ to Sammy! That made me smile! :p  

Are you sure that OCZ isn't using anything Samsung in their SSD, though?
  • Reply 65 of 72
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    plovell wrote: »
    Maybe now we'll find out just what Microsoft's "Android" patents cover.

That would be good.

It can be found already..:

http://www.zdnet.com/310-microsoft-patents-used-in-android-licensing-agreements-revealed-by-chinese-gov-7000030564/

Some info was available way back with MS-Motorola case.
  • Reply 66 of 72
    truffoltruffol Posts: 50member
    It still cracks me up that Microsoft makes so much money from Android...
  • Reply 67 of 72
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Truffol View Post

It still cracks me up that Microsoft makes so much money from Android...

Why?

• Reply 68 of 72
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member

Most probably there are some points in the contract or in other agreements that makes Samsung believe it can stop paying fro the moment.  Although we can only guess for moment, these points could be:

- There is a non competitive clause in the contract.  As MS has bought Nokia, MS has become a competitor of Samsung

- A Windows Phone license price + sales figures were part of the deal, but MS has recently dropped the price of WP to 0$ for small devices.

- In China the list of patents were disclosed that MS was using to attack Android.  Samsung is convinced that some of these patents might be considered invalid (prior art, ...) .

It is for sure that Samsung has elements to get a better deal from MS. Not paying anymore is just a strategic positioning in the new negotiations

• Reply 69 of 72
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

Oh boy!

Microsoft is NO Apple. Apple is soft ... Microsoft ....well.... :smokey:

On another note, needed a shiny new SSD for my office PC (running Win7 :embarrass)!

The sales guy tried his best to sell me one from Samsung. :\ And, looking at price and specs, I was soooooo very close .... :no:

Left the store with one from OCZ! Cost a little more ... but you know what? I didn't give my $$ to Sammy! That made me smile! :p 

First, OCZ makes good products no doubt about that, however, I had to say this I believe base on what I know about OCZ they use Samsung NAND memory.

• Reply 70 of 72
    maestro64 wrote: »
    First, OCZ makes good products no doubt about that, however, I had to say this by I believe base on what I know about OCZ they use Samsung NAND memory.

Yes, ironically they do, even their PCIe version uses Samsung NAND. That was my point when I asked Disturbia if he plans on discontinuing the use of Apple products because they also use Samsung memory. I really like the Samsung 840 series, they are very good SSD drives, not only are they very reasonably priced but are also among the fastest. I have the 256GB version in my ThinkPad X230T, no problems. Just because Samsung's mobile division sucks doesn't mean the rest of their products do. We also have a smart refrigerator that we got for our winter home, very cool system, I can adjust the temperature over the internet which is great because I can turn it down to its lowest setting when were not their and then turn it up a day before we arrive.
  • Reply 71 of 72
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Yes, ironically they do, even their PCIe version uses Samsung NAND. That was my point when I asked Disturbia if he plans on discontinuing the use of Apple products because they also use Samsung memory. I really like the Samsung 840 series, they are very good SSD drives, not only are they very reasonably priced but are also among the fastest. I have the 256GB version in my ThinkPad X230T, no problems. Just because Samsung's mobile division sucks doesn't mean the rest of their products do. We also have a smart refrigerator that we got for our winter home, very cool system, I can adjust the temperature over the internet which is great because I can turn it down to its lowest setting when were not their and then turn it up a day before we arrive.

Just an FYI for you, there are trade off with NAND, yes Samsung maybe faster but most likely it will be at the cost of endurance of the NAND over time. Samsung plays the performance game, they do the bigger, baddest and fastest thing really well but what will be the long term reliability and performance be like. I can guarantee you will begin to see the performance of the SSD go down as you load it up and use it over time.

• Reply 72 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Just an FYI for you, there are trade off with NA ND, yes Sam sung maybe faster but most likely it will be at the cost of endurance of the NA ND over time. Sam sung plays the performance game, they do the bigger, baddest and fastest thing really well but what will be the long term reliability and performance be like. I can guarantee you will begin to see the performance of the SAD go down as you load it up and use it over time.

I fully understand that but Samsung also backs up their 256GB drive with a 5 year guarantee and I also purchased a 3 year insurance from the computer store I bought it from, it was only 30CHEF extra, I thought it worth the expenditure. Since I back up my entire drive with OneDrive and a local Sun Storage NASA I'm fully protected against data lost. The only manufacture that has consistently come up on top in reliability tests is Intel. Though since I've had a Samsung drive in my Mac Book Air for a while now without fail I thought I could continue that luck with using one in my Think Pad, so far so good but I'm also vary reliant on cloud and network data, meaning I rarely tax my drives. Even my little Nokia 2520 has nothing actually on the local drive, I store all data to a mini SD card which is mirrored on One Drive, local drive is specifically used for apps only, truth be told it only has 32GB of storage so this method was kind of a necessary, but I liked the setup so much I did the same thing with my MacBook Air. I have a very fast 256GB SD card strictly used for data which is in turn mirrored on Google Drive, I'll change it over to iCloud once Apple lowers their cloud storage prices. I'm paying 100CHF for 50GB with iCloud and that's kind of on the the high side for me, especially when for 120CHF I get 1TB with Google Drive, along with the 1TB for two years that came with my Pixel.

So as long as the Samsung drive lasts at least two years I'm fine with it as that it is the maximum time I usually own a laptop for. I replace my MacBook Air yearly.