Microsoft looking to open retail outlet near flagship 5th Ave. Apple Store

124»

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 68
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,814member
    jfanning wrote: »
    I've been to Apple stores which virtually no one in them as well, what is your point?

    And yet Apple is the most successful retail store per sq ft. Where does MS rank?
  • Reply 62 of 68
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post



    Monkey see. Monkey do.

     

    Ballmer retired you know.


     

    I'm not trying to expand this thread to 300 comments, but it's interesting to think that if Ballmer were black, it's unlikely that he would have earnt the monkey moniker, even if he had still behaved like one. 

  • Reply 63 of 68
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

     

    What the hell is there of interest to see inside a Microsoft store, and why would any conscious person ever want to visit a Microsoft store?

     

    They should invest in a Microsoft museum instead.

     

    Fast forward 25 years:

    (tour given by official tourguide)

     

    Over here in this corner we see something called a Surface Tablet. This curiosity existed from 2012 to 2016, when it was officially terminated after Microsoft could no longer sustain the billions of dollars in loss and damage each year caused by weak sales. Microsoft continued to promote the tablet until the very end, making expensive commercials which featured ridiculous looking dancing morons, but unfortunately, the product simply wasn't meant to be.

     

    There has been some speculation that the main concept behind the tablet, attempting to combine both a laptop and a tablet into one device, was a retarded concept, and there just weren't enough retards out there to financially support this noble endeavor.


     

    I chuckled!

  • Reply 64 of 68
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Fred1 View Post

     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post



    I don't know the exact design details behind that store, but Steve Jobs had to have been very much involved, wasn't he? Of course there is a professional architect behind the store, but what about the overall concept and idea?



    I remember reading that Steve Jobs even paid for the glass out of his own pocket, so it was obviously a very special store to him.




    I'm sure Steve gave a lot of input. Clients always do, but to say that "Steve designed it" is to ignore the fact that a very talented architect was responsible for the design and realization. And I wouldn't doubt that Bohlin, the architect, had to deal with a lot of reality distortion field issues from Steve.



    That's neat that Steve paid for the glass, but of course that's a whole different topic.

     

    Funny post.

     

    Genius though Jobs was, even he would have struggled to warp the laws of physics to such an extent that the architect would have had to design round them.

  • Reply 65 of 68
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post



    To be fair, the majority of regular posters / readers here don't go to sites of products / companies they don't like and do nothing but post comments to support their own biases against the flow of the threads, but you do. They probably have better things to do than troll.




    Wow, the old AI troll card didn't take long to get played.



    So i forget what the current rule is, are you only allowed on this site if you own 100% apple products?

     

    I don't believe it's mandatory, but desirable, unless you have sheer force of personality (see Relic).

  • Reply 66 of 68
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,582member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

    I'm not trying to expand this thread to 300 comments, but it's interesting to think that if Ballmer were black, it's unlikely that he would have earnt the monkey moniker, even if he had still behaved like one. 


    I don't understand why you find that surprising.   Racial slurs become points of sensitivity.    Racists have frequently used the image of the monkey or the ape to depict black people.   Once that happens, the stereotype becomes something to be avoided.   It's not a racial slur for white people to be called an ape.  It is a racial slur for black people, just like being called "cheap" is a slur to Jews.   

  • Reply 67 of 68
    zoetmb wrote: »
    I'm not trying to expand this thread to 300 comments, but it's interesting to think that if Ballmer were black, it's unlikely that he would have earnt the monkey moniker, even if he had still behaved like one. 
    I don't understand why you find that surprising.   Racial slurs become points of sensitivity.    Racists have frequently used the image of the monkey or the ape to depict black people.   Once that happens, the stereotype becomes something to be avoided.   It's not a racial slur for white people to be called an ape.  It is a racial slur for black people, just like being called "cheap" is a slur to Jews.   

    I hadn't heard the 'cheap' jibe.

    You're not going deep enough. Ballmer, for better or worse, became banded with the monkey insult, presumably because it was a succinct and effective way of describing him. It seems a shame when the English language becomes a little more restricted because of those racial slurs.

    The reason I draw attention to it is because it's unusual for a person to acquire a unique insult, which suggests its effectiveness. If a black guy acted like Ballmer, presumably we'd have to think of another non-racially sensitive insult, which is quite likely to be less effective.

    Oh for Shakespeare's time, when insults were thick and swarming.
Sign In or Register to comment.