Walmart.com To Sell PCs Sans OS

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    :: beats goverat over the head with a shovel ::

XP is NOT fine, do not EVER say that again.

:: head explodes ::
  • Reply 22 of 31
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Spart:

<strong>:: beats goverat over the head with a shovel ::

XP is NOT fine, do not EVER say that again.

:: head explodes ::</strong><hr></blockquote>

Is it really that bad?
  • Reply 23 of 31
    It's about keeping up appearances, EmAn.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    hmm... that Athlon one is tempting.

anyone know if BeOS 5 will run on it?
  • Reply 25 of 31
    Athlons are where it's at. I saw benchmarks, kernel compiles etc, not artificial benchmarks, where a dual 1.2 GHZ Thunderbird beat (albeit barely) a DUAL 1.7 GHZ PENTIUM 4 XEON in like 9 out of ten tests. The xeons have 1/2 MB cache, cost the earth, and were on a 400mhz rambus bus. The athlons were old, not even the new palomino core.

That's weak, especially considering the Intel box goes for about $5000, and the dual 1.2 thunderbird fetches, oh, about a grand.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Hmmm...

Maybe walmart should create a OS. Imagine it now...

Tight-Sweatpants OS, now with free deer jerkey!

or

Yall cam and get it! OS, now with Deer Hunter!

Take that M$!
  • Reply 27 of 31
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by Crusader:

<strong>Hmmm...

Maybe walmart should create a OS. Imagine it now...

Tight-Sweatpants OS, now with free deer jerkey!

or

Yall cam and get it! OS, now with Deer Hunter!

Take that M$! </strong><hr></blockquote>

If only hicks shop at walmart there must be an awful lot of hicks everywhere
  • Reply 28 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by janitor:

<strong>

If only hicks shop at walmart there must be an awful lot of hicks everywhere</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well you are right about that. There ARE an awful lot of hicks EVERYWHERE. It's getting even worse. Its truly sad what people are becoming in this country. And Wal-Mart totally encourages and promotes this lifestyle, so they can make fat cash off . Sure, plenty of regular folks shop there too, but you can't tell me it isn't a little depressing stepping in there. Sure, they have good deals, but they sure as hell better, with the amount of inventory they hold on to/turn over. This is the whole concept behind a discount store. My main problem with the likes of Wal-Mart is they totally wipe out other small stores such as the grocery down the street for me. This was a family run grocery that wasn't able to profit anymore due to Wal-Mart adding a grocery to its store. They had to close down after like 50 years of business. Wal-mart can pretty much charge as low as they want to, while small stores can only drop prices so much without going belly up. Truly sad considering the execs at Wal-mart would probably sell crack and crystal meth if they were able to. It caters to their demographic. I know this is quite a little rant, I just needed to get it off my mind!

pepper

[ 02-25-2002: Message edited by: pepper ]</p>
  • Reply 29 of 31
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Screw Mom & Pop, they're inefficient and of little use.

Get them a job at the new SuperDuperWallyWorld.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    [quote]Let's say, in 1999, you bought an HP Somethinorother. It came with Windows 98 on it. Now it's 2002 and you're ready to get a new computer. Suppose you don't want XP (you're not ready to upgrade yet, or whatever). Why shouldn't you be able to buy a "blank" PC and install your legal copy of 98 on it?<hr></blockquote>

that would all be nice and grand, except you don't buy a copy of win98 when you get your computer through HP. you buy the licensce to use win98 on that hp computer. if you use that disc on another machine, it's an illegal copy.

if you bought the full retail version of win98, you could install it on two different machines, as long as it was only on one of them at a time, but you can't use the one that came as an OEM in that manner.

lots of computer box makers have been sued by MS for that exact thinking.

-alcimedes
  • Reply 31 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>you don't buy a copy of win98 when you get your computer through HP. you buy the licensce to use win98 on that hp computer</strong><hr></blockquote>

I didn't realize the license was different. I'll need to find one and read it. That would make sense, though. A license like that would probably cheaper for the PC maker and better for MS.

Of course, it still works for somebody that went out and bought the retail version of 98 (or whatever). They shouldn't need to buy a new license with their new computer.

[edit: added second pp]

[ 02-26-2002: Message edited by: spotbug ]</p>