New iPad ad campaign focuses on productivity, highlights Microsoft Office support

Posted:
in iPad edited August 2014
Apple on Monday pushed out a new email ad blitz focusing on the iPad's prowess in productivity, highlighting both first-party apps like Pages, Numbers and Keynote alongside Microsoft's Office for iPad.

Titled "Achieve big things," Apple's mailer pushes back against Microsoft's increasingly aggressive Surface Pro 3 campaign, which casts the Redmond, Wash. company's "tablet and a laptop" as true productivity tool.

Apple takes a different tack with its most recent ad, noting that the iPad is not a replacement for its MacBook lineup, but instead a portable hardware solution powered by powerful apps. Specifically, the ad says the App Store's titles "are designed to take advantage of the things only iPad can do."

Of the apps selected to highlight iPad's at-work acumen, Apple chose its own iWork suite, noting Pages, Numbers and Keynote come free with new tablet purchases. In addition to onboard creation and editing features, the apps connect with iCloud to take documents cross-platform, allowing users to start a project on iPad and finish on a Mac.

Along with iWork, Apple threw a spotlight on Microsoft Office for iPad, which debuted in March as a trio of "freemium" app offerings connected to the Office 365 subscription service. Anticipated for years, the collective Office for iPad app suite -- Word, Excel and Powerpoint -- quickly rocketed up the charts, netting 27 million downloads after 46 days of availability.

Apple has been pushing the productivity side of iOS as of late and most recently kicked off a limited time sale on 20 popular productivity, business and utility apps.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Talk about turning the other cheek..

Microsoft: Out tablet is more productive than Apple's laptop.

Apple: Our tablet is more powerful with Microsoft Office.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    So glad I bought a MacBook Pro w Retina this year vs an iPad (after owning 3 of them). There is no competition for productivity between a laptop vs a tablet. I'm going for a Kindle HDX next time. Tablets just don't cut it for most anything other than reading or viewing.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Meh, not a selling point for me. I'm not a slave to MS-Office any more.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    So glad I bought a MacBook Pro w Retina this year vs an iPad. There is no competition for productivity between a laptop vs a tablet. I'm going for a Kindle HDX next time. Tablets just don't cut it.
    Seems to me these ads and emails are Apple saying "iPad is more than just a consumption device", not "replace your Mac with an iPad". Microsoft is trying to portray Surface as the ultimate device. One stop shop for everything you need. Apple is not doing that with iPad although they know a lot of people have ditched their laptop for iPad. This is reminding people there's a lot more you can do on your iPad besides watching movies, surfing the internet and playing games.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

So glad I bought a MacBook Pro w Retina this year vs an iPad (after owning 3 of them). There is no competition for productivity between a laptop vs a tablet. I'm going for a Kindle HDX next time. Tablets just don't cut it for most anything other than reading or viewing.

Just you talking about your own limits.

• Reply 6 of 15
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    iPad running Office renders the Surface rather pointless.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Earth to Bobschlob...

Love my iPad retina tablet AND my MacBook Pro 15 retina.  Message and email away on a tablet all you like.  Write a bit of text too on one.  Read a book, a magazine or newspaper as well, but there's a reason why working people use computers.  You probably don't have a real job but if you did, you would know the meaning of productivity.

• Reply 8 of 15
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Just wait until MS intentionally keep Office for iPad version at least two years behind Office for Windows.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Seems to me these ads and emails are Apple saying "iPad is more than just a consumption device", not "replace your Mac with an iPad". Microsoft is trying to portray Surface as the ultimate device. One stop shop for everything you need. Apple is not doing that with iPad although they know a lot of people have ditched their laptop for iPad. This is reminding people there's a lot more you can do on your iPad besides watching movies, surfing the internet and playing games.

"Seems to me these ads and emails are Apple saying "iPad is more than just a consumption device", not "replace your Mac with an iPad".

This sentence pretty much nails it.  On a side note, I do think the Surface Pro 3, specifically, is a great product.  And like phablets, I think 2-in-1's will gain in popularity, especially among the college and business crowd.

• Reply 10 of 15
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    iPad running Office renders the Surface rather pointless.

The Surface is surplus to requirements.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    makeintosh wrote: »
    bobschlob wrote: »

Earth to Bobschlob...

Love my iPad retina tablet AND my MacBook Pro 15 retina.  Message and email away on a tablet all you like.  Write a bit of text too on one.  Read a book, a magazine or newspaper as well, but there's a reason why working people use computers.  You probably don't have a real job but if you did, you would know the meaning of productivity.

Please. You sound like Ballmer.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Office and iWork both makes sense. Notebooks and Tablets makes sense as tools. There are enough space for Notebooks like the Air, Office Suits and an iPad.

Only the complex Surface makes no sense because you get many pieces of technology that can't position itself. The iPad is clearly positioned, the Air as well but what is the sum of keyboard, screen, kickstand, mouse, pen and power supply? I mean, who really wants a bunch of pieces to say it's more easy?

The surface says; "I can't decide. I a more complex. Not easy".
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Please. You sound like Ballmer.

Time you moved out of your mum and dad's cellar.

• Reply 14 of 15

I really don't understand Apple's reluctance to advertise more about the Mac's ability to run Windows natively. I'm pretty sure that most Mac owners know this; but I think there is a lot of non-techie WinPC users out there who don't know it, or think that it's still the old-style emulation. I doubt that Apple has any qualms about head-to-head comparisons between MacOS and Windows (and especially with Win 8).

If Microsoft wants to advertise, "Hey look! Surface can run full Office on full Windows 8.1!", then I think Apple should come back with, "Big deal. So can MacBook Air".

• Reply 15 of 15
    I%u2019m really excited about the new iPad coming out.%u2028Especially after all the articles I%u2019ve read about the features it%u2019s going to%u2028 have and I better sell my old iPad before the value of it drops. I just read an article on a company called RecomHub, they compare 8-13 of the buyback companies and shows you what price they will give you when you sell.

It%u2019s like Kayak but for electronic devices that show you all the%u2028offers in one spot.