Latest purported leak shows scuffed-up 'iPhone 6' rear panel

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
While it may be a little worse for wear, a part alleged to be a full back panel for Apple's anticipated "iPhone 6" appeared online Tuesday, offering a closer look at what could be the final design for the hotly anticipated product.

Photo via Sonny Dickson.

The scuffed-up and dented part was shown off by Sonny Dickson, showing a consistent design with other leaked components. In particular, the part suggests that the rear camera may be a protruding lens, and that the flash True Tone module may evolve from an elongated "pill" shape to a circle.

The part is noticeably damaged, with dents around the Apple logo and chunks of material missing from indentations at the top and bottom of the back panel. Instead of glass cutouts like Apple has featured on the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s, Apple appears to be using a new design to allow the internal antennas to work through the handset's metal exterior.

The leaked part also lacks any brand name or regulatory information printed on the rear side, which has been known to happen in the past with pre-production components that leak online.

As such, it's possible that some elements, such as the protruding rear lens, could change before the product actually ships to consumers. No iPhone camera to date has stuck out from the back panel, though Apple's fifth-generation iPod touch has adopted that style.

Alleged "iPhone 6" parts have leaked consistently over the last few weeks, suggesting that Apple is ramping up production of its next-generation handset in time for a September launch. The company is rumored to be planning both a 4.7-inch model as well as a 5.5-inch one, both of which would be larger than the 4-inch display currently found on the flagship iPhone 5s and mid-range iPhone 5c.

Apple is expected to be planning a media event for Tuesday, Sept. 9 to finally reveal its hotly anticipated "iPhone 6." If the company follows its usual release pattern, the device would likely be in the hands of consumers the following Friday, Sept. 19. Recent rumors have suggested that the 5.5-inch model could see some delays, however.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    I can't get over the idea of a protruding camera lens. I won't say "sloppy" but it really just seems a little unpolished for Apple's flagship product that has always been svelt, balanced, and symmetrical. Call me skeptical until Sept 9.
  • Reply 2 of 69
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Call me skeptical as well. I really don't think the thick antenna bands will find their way into production, either. As for the round flash component, I saw a leak yesterday on another site, looks as if Apple may be putting the True Tone into a round shape instead of pill shaped.

Can hardly wait until Sept 9!
  • Reply 2 of 69
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    Seems like a quality of a fake iPhone product.
  • Reply 4 of 69
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    The fact those lines on the back of the phone are so chipped and scuffed I think is a good indication they either won't be there in the final product or will look very different. Or we're not seeing a legit part and this is some Chinese knockoff fake.
  • Reply 5 of 69
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    It isn't sloppy it is good engineering. Eventually you have to improve your optics to get substantially better cameras in cell phones. Goods optics require space.
    ttollerton wrote: »
    I can't get over the idea of a protruding camera lens. I won't say "sloppy" but it really just seems a little unpolished for Apple's flagship product that has always been svelt, balanced, and symmetrical. Call me skeptical until Sept 9.
  • Reply 6 of 69
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    The 5.5 will be able to be thinner. But getting a decent lens will mean it protrudes. Also looks like no liquidmetal on the phone. I'm not buying the "it's in the logo" meme.
  • Reply 7 of 69
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    I can't imagine Jony Ive designing such a ghastly piece of work. The thick bands, the protruding lens. It's a disaster, the worst looking iPhone since the 3GS. Not to mention the screen and its huge surrounding bezel area making it an unwieldy beast.
  • Reply 8 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Well that seals the deal.

5.5 here we come. We all know the protruding flash is only needed on the 5.5.

Proves nothing.  Also, it isn't a protruding FLASH, it's a camera LENS.   

Now where is my bottle of "Troll-away...?"

• Reply 9 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It isn't sloppy it is good engineering. Eventually you have to improve your optics to get substantially better cameras in cell phones. Goods optics require space.

Perhaps, but from a selfish point of view, I use no case and my phone frequently sits flat on my desk.  Typing on an iPhone w/ a protruding lens (on my desk) will be irritating...guess I'll be using a case.

• Reply 10 of 69
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Then keep the rest of the handset slightly thicker so everything is in proportion, and don't thin it out further until you can get the lens flush with the back sometime in the future.
  • Reply 11 of 69
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member

i wonder if there are a few guys out there with a 3d printer slagging this crap out.  and if they are- i enjoy the joke.

• Reply 12 of 69
    sully54sully54 Posts: 108member
    I feel theres more to the protruding lens that we don't know. theres an apple patent that talked about a lens mounting system. perhaps (hopefully) that's the idea.
  • Reply 13 of 69
    Can't wait for the 5.5" iPod Pro.
  • Reply 14 of 69
    macvicta wrote: »
    I can't imagine Jony Ive designing such a ghastly piece of work. The thick bands, the protruding lens. It's a disaster, the worst looking iPhone since the 3GS. Not to mention the screen and its huge surrounding bezel area making it an unwieldy beast.

Ahem...http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/17/possible-iphone-4g-images-surface/
  • Reply 15 of 69
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    macvicta wrote: »
    Then keep the rest of the handset slightly thicker so everything is in proportion, and don't thin it out further until you can get the lens flush with the back sometime in the future.

Have you held the new iPod touch in your hand? It's pretty freaking impressive- even with a protruding camera.

I'm not a fan of he protruding camera; honestly, but signs are pointing to making it thin enough as a 4.7" to claim "1 handed operability". Very much looking forward to the keynote.
  • Reply 16 of 69
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rogifan wrote: »

It's funny reading the old comments. Funny how people quickly changed their tune.
  • Reply 17 of 69
    "protruding camera lens" = Interchangeable lenses for different focal length.
  • Reply 18 of 69
    hngfrhngfr Posts: 72member
    if its real then its not made out of liquidmetal,
    so many scratches on it.
  • Reply 19 of 69
    This is what we got from Sonny Dickson last year. He's NOT always reliable.

[IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/ayasjn.jpg[/IMG]
  • Reply 20 of 69
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    Yikes! I would hate my iPhone band to be peeling off like that. A new attenagate may be brewing if that is representative of the wear and tear we are in for. Not too mention it is just not the most elegant of iPhone. There could be a backlash at how low end this phone looks and how much it costs.