Rev. Jesse Jackson & Rainbow PUSH Coalition praise Apple for releasing detailed workforce diversity

1235»

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 98
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by Drax7 View Post

    The nba is not racially balanced, no white players. Whites should boycott the games.

     

    The NBA is discriminatory against short and old people, as well.

     

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

    99.999999999999%




    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

    99.9999999999999%


     

    I guess if you lie about something enough, that makes it true.

     

    Must be nice not to feel obligated–to yourself or others–to have any foundation for anything you say, demanding instead that you are always correct, regardless of how you feel on any topic.

  • Reply 82 of 98
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,408member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    Tim Cook:  I want to treat all employees the same regardless of race, sex, age, religion, nation, weight, height, wealth, status, ect. ect.

     

    SpamSandwich: Thats a HORRIBLE idea


     

    You must hire more people immediately down at the strawman factory. Production is at an all time high.

  • Reply 83 of 98
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,408member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    The NBA is discriminatory against short and old people, as well.


     

    And they hate babies! Where are the infant players?

  • Reply 84 of 98
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post



    How did Apple creat great products like the Mac, iPod, iPhone, iPad, iTunes, OSX, iOS etc. with a mostly white male workforce?

     

    Black magic.

  • Reply 85 of 98
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

     

     

    Playing the race card again, I see.  Do you have any other cards to play, or is that it?


     

    Race card?

     

    I'm not even black.

    I'm a white male.

     

    But i have a conscience and I know racism is evil.


     

    It's a shame that the word racism has been corrupted. 

     

    When we talk of racism today, we really mean prejudice by race. Strictly speaking, we are all racists, not because we are prejudiced by racial differences, but because we all make distinctions by race, amongst many other things; it's a small but significant difference.

     

    But prejudice? I haven't given it any thought, but I imagine that it is more often than not used with evil intent (e.g. Hitler). It can be petty, insinuous, destructive.

  • Reply 86 of 98
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JWoodBass View Post



    how about releasing diversity data for online bloggers, LOL!

     

    100% human, purportedly.

     

    There you are.

  • Reply 87 of 98
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Splif View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quanster View Post

     

    I can't believe the kind of uproar this diversity report is causing on this website.  Are you kidding me?

     

    1.  No company is putting diversity above talent if they want to be competitive.  No where did Cook say that they are considering less talented minorities for jobs in the name of diversity.  

    2.  I am a hiring manager of a tech company and we are similarly conscious about our workforce's diversity.  There are goals for diversity that the company set for ourselves.  But every hiring manager understands that you only make a hiring that improves on diversity when it doesn't compromise the talent.  Yes my company has a big majority of white males but that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for diversity.  

     

    It's true that besides encouraging diversity through the hiring process, companies should also work at the root of the problem and promote more diversity in engineering programs.  My company holds events to encourage greater participation of minorities and women in engineering.  

     

    What Apple is doing will only improves on its branding.  When you are the #1 company in the world, these are the kind of things you need to do to improve your brand.  So Apple is not only synonymous with quality hardware/software but is also admired as a green company with great diversity and etc.  It gives people more reasons to admire the company and buy the products.  When it was near the brink of bankruptcy in the 90s, it doesn't need to worry about such things because it has other more immediate problems.  Tim is a great CEO because he is improving Apple in various facets simultaneously.  Steve Jobs was the perfect CEO to get Apple to become the #1 company in the world but I think Tim Cook is the perfect CEO to keep it there.  


    At last sanity.


     

    Sanity if you're smoking a splif, possibly. :smokey:

  • Reply 88 of 98
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    What else would you consider “I’m not satisfied with the numbers” to mean?

     

    Why.


     

    Ask Tim Cook. Don't try to read his mind.  What did you want him to say?  "I'm satisfied with the results!  We are perfect with diversity and we have nothing to improve on!"  If he said that Apple would have faced big time criticism.

     

    Cook never said he was going to hire less White Males.

     

    Who knows?  Maybe he has an inside tract on how Apple hires.  Could be that many hires are simply part of the 'old boys network' and are being hired not because of skill/ability but by who they know.


     

    Hopeless.

     

    You're saying that Tim Cook should be in sop to the media, regardless of what is the right thing to do. Presumably, you also think that they should bring out a $200 iPhone to win market share.

  • Reply 89 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

     
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

     

    What Apple is doing will only improves on its branding.  When you are the #1 company in the world, these are the kind of things you need to do to improve your brand.  So Apple is not only synonymous with quality hardware/software but is also admired as a green company with great diversity and etc.  It gives people more reasons to admire the company and buy the products.  When it was near the brink of bankruptcy in the 90s, it doesn't need to worry about such things because it has other more immediate problems.  Tim is a great CEO because he is improving Apple in various facets simultaneously.  Steve Jobs was the perfect CEO to get Apple to become the #1 company in the world but I think Tim Cook is the perfect CEO to keep it there.  




    +1 Very well stated!




    Seconded!



    I usually avoid posting to threads like this, but it is interesting to note that out of Apple's first 10 employees they had:



    1 female

    2 males with Hispanic surnames

    1 male communist (English surname)

    1 male Finnish descent

    1 male Polish descent

    1 male Syrian descent

    3 males with English surnames



    http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/06/the-first-10-apple-employees-where-are-they-now/240020/#slide1



    That's pretty diverse for 1978 in Silicon Valley ...





    FWIW, I met most of these people in the early days -- but only the communist came into our home ... but that's another story image

     

    Indeed. What's more, two had chipped toenails, three liked beetroot, one missed his mom and four liked apricots as well as apples.

     

    Beat that for diversity!

  • Reply 90 of 98
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post



    I am not in favor of what Cook said. I'm more interested in what they intend to do. If quotas are involved, they will be institutionalizing racist policies and giving in to race-baiters. What is Jackson's criteria or description of a "diverse" company anyway? I have a deep suspicion it is something along the lines of a hiring consultancy contract issued to his organization.



    To dredge up a shopworn meme, Steve Jobs would've told Jesse Jackson to go **** himself.




    I don't think quotas will be involved. However if two qualified candidates (white, minority) come in and score "near equally" in the interview, who do you choose.

     

    You're describing quotas.

  • Reply 91 of 98
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,814member
    You're describing quotas.

    Nope. If the two are similarly qualified and both interview well, who do you choose?
  • Reply 92 of 98
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,408member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post





    Nope. If the two are similarly qualified and both interview well, who do you choose?

     

    You spin around and throw a dart at the wall.

  • Reply 93 of 98
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

    You spin around and throw a dart at the wall.



    Whichever candidate you hit gets the job (and the requisite eye surgery, now covered by their health plan).

  • Reply 94 of 98
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,408member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     



    Whichever candidate you hit gets the job (and the requisite eye surgery, now covered by their health plan).


     

    Oh, my. I just had the biggest laugh because of that comment. The neighbors must have fallen off their chairs.

  • Reply 95 of 98
    jungmark wrote: »
    You're describing quotas.

    Nope. If the two are similarly qualified and both interview well, who do you choose?

    The better qualified one.
  • Reply 96 of 98
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post



    He won't.  He and Jackson are arch enemies and covet these opportunities.  Except for the major, major ones it's one or the other.



     This counts as a check in Jackson's column.  I say only half jokingly that Sharpton was quicker to own the most recent racial ambulance chasings so Jackson saw this as something he needed to weigh in on in order to not score zero for the quarter.




    I don't know if they are arch enemies but neither will give up the camera time. HD isn't big enough for both.

     

    They truly detest each other.  

  • Reply 97 of 98
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,408member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

     

     

    They truly detest each other.  


     

    And everyone else detests both of them.

Sign In or Register to comment.