NomadPlus battery attachment for Apple wall plug will completely recharge an iPhone 5s

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
The newly announced NomadPlus battery accessory serves as a plug for Apple's official 5-volt wall charger that packs in a full 1,800mAh battery, which can completely recharge an iPhone 5s on the go.

Though the NomadPlus, which is currently available for preorder for $39, was previously announced with a smaller battery, Nomad revealed on Wednesday that it has upgraded the battery specification to 1,800mAh, matching the capacity of Apple's iPhone 5s. That means the accessory will be able to provide a complete recharge rather than a partial one.

Unlike other battery packs, which frequently require dedicated micro USB cables to have their power replenished, the NomadPlus features a unique design where a 5-volt Apple wall charger can be inserted into the back. A built-in USB plug accepts power from the adapter, and when the parts are connected the unit appears as a single wall charger with integrated battery.

On the front of the NomadPlus is a USB input, into which an Apple Lightning cable can be inserted to recharge an iPhone 5s, 5c or 5. Of course, the USB plug could also be used to charge other devices, but the 1,800mAh battery capacity was designed with the iPhone 5s in mind.

The NomadPlus is made of polycarbonate, measures square in length and height, at 53 millimeters by 53 millimeters, and is 31 millimeters wide. It weighs 60 grams, requires a two-prong IEC Type A Apple wall charger, and outputs at 5 volts/1 amp over USB.

AppleInsider previously reviewed the ChargeCard flat USB to Lightning charging cable, as well as the keychain-worn ChargeKey Lightning cable, and had an extremely favorable impression of both accessories.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18

Clever design. very tempting.

• Reply 2 of 18
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Have one on order. Won't ship until the very end of November IIRC.
    (I wonder if it will charge an iPhone "6" fully...)
  • Reply 3 of 18
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Have one on order. Won't ship until the very end of November IIRC.
    (I wonder if it will charge an iPhone "6" fully...)
    Doubt it, maybe though they will make one size of IPad/MacBook charger that will fully charge a iPhone 6.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Page not found. My concern is whether it'll be 1 or 2.1 amps. I'm done with 1 amp charging lol.

Updated: page works again, also says it's just 1 amp charging. For $40, that's ridiculous. You can find $15/20 ones at Walmart that have a bigger battery.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    The USB connection is nice, but I wish the battery enclosure had a male charger connection sticking out 1/4" on the side so that I could plug an iPhone or iPad directly into the battery. That way it would not be necessary to carry a cord for the battery to be useful. An alternative would be a small USB-to-iPhone adaptor, which would also do away with the need for a cord.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

Page not found. My concern is whether it'll be 1 or 2.1 amps. I'm done with 1 amp charging lol.

Updated: page works again, also says it's just 1 amp charging. For $40, that's ridiculous. You can find $15/20 ones at Walmart that have a bigger battery.

I ordered one a few weeks ago, but at the time there was a code that knocked $20 off.  I couldn't resist for $20.  I'm happy to see it'll now charge the 5s completely, at least.  

• Reply 7 of 18
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post

The USB connection is nice, but I wish the battery enclosure had a male charger connection sticking out 1/4" on the side so that I could plug an iPhone or iPad directly into the battery. That way it would not be necessary to carry a cord for the battery to be useful. An alternative would be a small USB-to-iPhone adaptor, which would also do away with the need for a cord.

Or perhaps the ability to flip the wall plug around when not in use so that the prongs are not sticking out when you toss it in your travel bag. 

• Reply 8 of 18
    It's weird that they require you to put your Apple charger inside the unit. Would have been a no brainer if it was a stand alone unit and had folding prongs that let you plug it right into the outlet. I'm guessing the UL listing costs to make that happen were too high.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    My iPhone wall charger has been known to get very warm and I'd be reluctant to reduce its heat dissipation by having a battery wrapped around it.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Clever design.  It didn't dawn on them about integrating a pop-out (swivel) male lightning port connector?  I don't want to have to bring my cable.

So close, yet so far.

• Reply 11 of 18
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Clever design.  It didn't dawn on them about integrating a pop-out (swivel) male lightning port connector?  I don't want to have to bring my cable.

So close, yet so far.

I can't really visualize how a pop out lightning swivel would work. Something would need to support the iPhone other than just the friction and rigidity of the connector. Some wall outlets are mounted sideways too, more so in other countries besides the US, but still, that would be awkward to try to charge the phone and the external battery at the same time without a cable.

Rather than trying to make a swiss army knife, they seem to be addressing a specific target market. Most of the people who have heavy usage without access to AC power are travelers who would always have their cord with them. Looks like a decent design, however I don't need one. I have never run low on battery power. I always fly first class, when possible, and there are plenty of outlets in the lounge. Also I am seeing a lot more power and USB outlets at the gate waiting areas, and of course, in first class we have individual USB ports on the plane as well.

• Reply 12 of 18
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    "Looks" cool - but it's too big and bulky for the measly little 1800 mah battery capacity - especially when considering the price.

Last December, I bought everyone on my gift list battery packs with 2 outputs (1@ 2.1amps and the other at 1.2amps) so 2 devices can be charged simultaneously.

But the truly impressive features were the 8,000mah battery and the $27 price tag! Monoprice has a couple dozen different models with capacities ranging from 1200mah to 9,000mah all for under 40 bucks.

Batteries are heavy though - so the larger the capacity, the heavier the unit. But please don't buy these from a retailer like Best Buy. Check Amazon and other online retailers for some truly amazing prices!
  • Reply 13 of 18
    notienotie Posts: 7member

The TYLT Energi 2K product is better.  Same prices, 2,000mAh instead of 1,800.  Already has the two prongs for AC outlet AND they fold back into the unit.

http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/2458/power-go-tylts-energi-2k-travel-charger

• Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Jojade View Post

It's weird that they require you to put your Apple charger inside the unit. Would have been a no brainer if it was a stand alone unit and had folding prongs that let you plug it right into the outlet. I'm guessing the UL listing costs to make that happen were too high.

This is why you want to use an Apple charger and not some third party knock-off.

Also 95% of iPhone owners probably have one already.

• Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

So close, yet so far.

They didn't put in a pop-out lightning connector because they already make this:

Also available in micro-USB.

• Reply 16 of 18

> For $40, that's ridiculous. You can find $15/20 ones at Walmart that have a bigger battery.

Yeah, 1 amp charging is lame.  Better (higher charge rate, higher capacity, lower price) products have been around for a while, I use them when travelling.

• Reply 17 of 18

Instead of extending it the adapter down, they should have made it stick outward horizontally, so that not only would be make it easy to straight plug it right into the Apple adapter that is already in the slot, but it would also stop blocking the second wall outlet. I know these are just suggestions for convenience, but minor simplification to design.

• Reply 18 of 18

I still prefer my Anker Astro E5 15Ah battery pack. It's a little bit larger, but it costs a little bit less ;-)