Apple bans use of two hazardous chemicals in iPhone production

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I fully agree that this is not going to affect Apple's bottom line. I'm not worried about my Apple stock at all, quite the contrary. I see AAPL moving past $100 soon, and then continuing on.
    I also think it gives Apple another thing to tout over "competitors" like Google, Microsoft, HTC and the like.

Plus I like to think it allows Apple to say to these clowns that "Hey, you guys were b*tching about us using these chemicals and when we changed them you still b*tched so you guys are full of shit." though not using those exact words.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Benzene - If Apple keeps this up pretty soon they will be having benzene removed from sports and energy drinks!

Yeah, and maybe they will start removing hexane from soy products!!

http://www.naturalnews.com/026303_hexane_soy_food.html

• Reply 23 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

APPLE SHOULD STOP USING ALUMINUM BECAUSE THE DUST CAN EXPLODE.

Apple don't use Aluminum. The use Aluminium!

• Reply 24 of 39
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I am an awesome person. A person who believes in scientific fact and not ignorant liberal nonsense and voodoo.

The investigation concluded that these chemicals were not dangerous to the workers, so there is no issue here really, besides pandering to ignorant groups.

And I don't fully agree that people always comes first. That's not the way it is in the real world. Take a look around. And besides, Chinese factory workers are a dime a dozen. There's no shortage of workers looking for work at various factories in China that are Apple suppliers.

1) Scientific fact are at odds with being open to new ideas and opinions? :no: You might want to take to a course of leeches.

2) Here's some "scientific fact" taken directly from this article…
    • AppleInsider writes, "Apple says it conducted a four-month investigation into the issue, finding the chemicals did not endanger the roughly 500,000 workers building its products across 22 factories," which only shows that their specific study didn't find anyone being endangered.
    • AppleInsider writes, "Despite the study's conclusion, Apple has decided to remove n-hexane and benzene from the iPhone assembly process," because these chemicals can be very harmful and have harmed many people over the years.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    I am an awesome person. A person who believes in scientific fact and not ignorant liberal nonsense and voodoo.

The investigation concluded that these chemicals were not dangerous to the workers, so there is no issue here really, besides pandering to ignorant groups.

And I don't fully agree that people always comes first. That's not the way it is in the real world. Take a look around. And besides, Chinese factory workers are a dime a dozen. There's no shortage of workers looking for work at various factories in China that are Apple suppliers.

People led by a belief - any belief - are not scientific and they are not awesome. They're awful and creepy. Your last paragraph fully makes my point. People are not a dime for a dozen. If you don't agree on that, then read your Constitution. Then again, then again. (do?t forget the 13th).

What do you know of benzene? How much of it is used to produce what's most important to you: you're product? Did you read the report? Were you part of the investigation team? If not, your claim to be scientific is no more than a slogan.

As an aside? What does that mean, being scientific as opposed to liberal thinking? Are they even related? Where does that put Oppenheimer, Einstein, Szilard, Tesla, Darwin, ... ?
  • Reply 26 of 39
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent McAnulty View Post

Any dust can explode...

Not to mention Li-Ion batteries :D

• Reply 27 of 39

Now that Apple decided not to use these materials, this matter will put to rest by the media. No article/blog will be published by anybody criticizing others for using these chemicals.

No matter how many companies use them, only Apple's use of them is newsworthy and criticized.

• Reply 28 of 39
    Will all the Physical Chemists raise their hand? If not, STFU.

What about the Spiritual Chemists? Lol
  • Reply 29 of 39
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    If a viable less-demonized alternative exists, smart move changing to it. Nip any reason for the haters to hate in the bud.
  • Reply 30 of 39

this would never have happened if Mike Daisey was still alive.

• Reply 31 of 39
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

And no chemical has ever been deemed 'not dangerous' only to later find out that it was indeed dangerous?
  • Reply 32 of 39
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    blitz1 wrote: »
    People led by a belief - any belief - are not scientific and they are not awesome.

How many times has a scientific fact been disproven? Sometimes a very educated guess is passed on as fact, because proper testing methods did not exist at the time.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    I believe that the product should always come first.

Apple puts people first.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Anyway, my opinion doesn't really matter in this instance, since this is a done deal it seems.:smokey:

AI would be a pretty lonely place if we didn't beat dead horses and dissect done deals. ;)

• Reply 35 of 39
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

And no chemical has ever been deemed 'not dangerous' only to later find out that it was indeed dangerous?

I think what was determined is that the way the chemical were being used and handled was not dangerous to workers.  As unpleasant as both chemicals are, they can be used safely with proper precautions.  There is however a pretty big expense associated with their use due to the hazards both human and environmental.  No one is going to magically discover that benzene is not a carcinogen or that hexane doesn't destroy testicular tissue.  That is long settled information.

• Reply 36 of 39
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Apple puts people first.

So does Google. Of course, the people are the product.

• Reply 37 of 39
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

How many times has a scientific fact been disproven? Sometimes a very educated guess is passed on as fact, because proper testing methods did not exist at the time.

That's what I meant.

• Reply 38 of 39
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member

If it was business as usual, i.e., when Apple is not involved, none of these safety concerns would have the global media shining a bright light on them. Because Apple is a conscientious company everyone is expecting Apple to step up and institute higher worker safety standards than even what the host countries consider "adequate." At some level it is disappointing to know that the media and global safety organizations are manipulating Apple in this way, but it is also gratifying and reassuring to see that Apple is always doing the right thing despite the fact that they are clearly being "used" by these groups. Add GreenPeace to this list. I doubt that very many global companies other than Apple would react in the same way under the same set of circumstances. Let's see the same level of scrutiny applied to WalMart and the garment industry and see how they have reacted compared to Apple. These situations clearly demonstrate the incredible level of humility that is shown by Tim Cook and the whole Apple team. 

• Reply 39 of 39
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    One day they will have an iPhone made with no chemicals. 100% organic. And then when you're done with it, you can eat it...... Well it sounded like a good idea for 5 seconds.