New photos purport to show fully-assembled 'iPhone 6' logic board

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2014
A seemingly fully-assembled logic board -- with most of its attached silicon unseen under metal shielding -- said to be destined for Apple's next-generation iPhone surfaced on Thursday in a new set of photos from the Far East.

A number of smaller chips and connectors can be spotted on the part, including what appears to be a NAND array, though the majority of its components are covered. The photo was sourced by Chinese repair firm GeekBar.

The overall shape of the board, including mounting locations, matches up with previously seen printed circuit boards that were thought to be intended for the rumored 5.5-inch model. Both that part, as well as another said to be bound for the anticipated 4.7-inch variant, appear larger than the logic boards found in the iPhone 5 series.

Many other components apparently being prepared for the next-generation iPhone lineup have been revealed in a series of leaks from Asia in recent weeks. Those include a control cable said to be for the 5.5-inch variant; another flex cable featuring a Lightning connector, microphone and headphone jack; an inlaid Apple logo; and a number of metallic rear casings.

Apple is expected to officially announce the 4.7-inch model at a Sept. 9 media event. Production for the 5.5-inch model has repeatedly been rumored to have been delayed thanks to production issues.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Why must every bloody story set in China be referred to as "the Far East"? We know where China is located. This isn't the 1700's. If the writers here get any lazier, might as well just go completely to a Reddit-style user submitted content format instead. Jesus.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Unless it's from Taiwan. Then it's "out of the Far East." Maybe so they don't have to say "Digitimes."
  • Reply 3 of 26
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    and for those in China, the far east is probably the USA
  • Reply 4 of 26
    schlack wrote: »

Yep.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schlack View Post

LMAO.

Geekbar has been pretty accurate source in previous leaks as well. ( And there are actually a few more photos shown with size measurement )

Assuming the board leaks are correct, then the 5.5 will likely be a secret design. Hence why we haven't seen anything about it. And that the Pegatron isn't actually getting more total % iPhone orders, but likely Foxconn will be the only supplier for the 5.5" iPhone. While Pegatron gets more of the 4.7" orders. 

• Reply 6 of 26

Well, it's still China—if you keep on going. ????
  • Reply 7 of 26
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ksec View Post

LMAO.

Geekbar has been pretty accurate source in previous leaks as well. ( And there are actually a few more photos shown with size measurement )

Assuming the broad leaks are correct, then the 5.5 will likely be a secret design. Hence why we haven't seen anything about it. And that the Pegatron isn't actually getting more total % iPhone orders, but likely Foxconn will be the only supplier for the 5.5" iPhone. While Pegatron gets more of the 4.7" orders. 

Don't make me laugh. The reason we haven't seen ANYTHING, yet have almost enough parts to assemble a working 4.7, is because there is no 5.5. There never was.

• Reply 8 of 26
    ksec wrote: »

LMAO.

Assuming the broad leaks are correct, then the 5.5 will likely be a secret design. Hence why we haven't seen anything about it. And that the Pegatron isn't actually getting more total % iPhone orders, but likely Foxconn will be the only supplier for the 5.5" iPhone. While Pegatron gets more of the 4.7" orders. 

I find it hard to believe that Apple would make two separate announcements for the iPhone. Either there will be one new size, or they will announce both together and say the big one ships later, unless they ship at the same time.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Don't make me laugh. The reason we haven't seen ANYTHING, yet have almost enough parts to assemble a working 4.7, is because there is no 5.5. There never was.

Well you should read the bit just before what you highlighted 

Quote:

Assuming the board leaks are correct

• Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I find it hard to believe that Apple would make two separate announcements for the iPhone. Either there will be one new size, or they will announce both together and say the big one ships later, unless they ship at the same time.

I think that is what's going to happen assuming the board leaks are correct.

Edit. The measurement shown in Geekbar

Board A : 61.52 x 98.66mm

Broad B : 51.14 x 95.52mm

• Reply 11 of 26
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Why must every bloody story set in China be referred to as "the Far East"? We know where China is located.

Opium Valley.

If the writers here get any lazier, might as well just go completely to a Reddit-style user submitted content format instead.

Ooh, with one addendum: the userbase collectively can downvote posts enough to get them REMOVED entirely.

• Reply 12 of 26
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Ho hum

I probably could use a new iPhone but to be honest I'd rather see leaks about the next iPad. I use my iPad every day, can't say that for the iPhone.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Why must every bloody story set in China be referred to as "the Far East"? We know where China is located. This isn't the 1700's. If the writers here get any lazier, might as well just go completely to a Reddit-style user submitted content format instead. Jesus.

I moved from the Boston area (where there is a large population of asians) to Boca Raton, FL (where there are few) about five years ago.  I still can't get over all the signs I see down here.  Oriental markets, Oriental massage, etc.  Back in Boston, you would be properly slapped in the face for applying that word to one of your asian friends or associates.  It's like I've gone back in time 40 years down here.

• Reply 14 of 26
    A bit misleading teaser picture for this article.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

I moved from the Boston area (where there is a large population of asians) to Boca Raton, FL (where there are few) about five years ago.  I still can't get over all the signs I see down here.  Oriental markets, Oriental massage, etc.  Back in Boston, you would be properly slapped in the face for applying that word to one of your asian friends or associates.  It's like I've gone back in time 40 years down here.

Let's have a long discussion and history lesson on why the word Oriental is politically incorrect.

• Reply 16 of 26
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mstone wrote: »
    Let's have a long discussion and history lesson on why the word Oriental is politically incorrect.

I always thought that only people aren't supposed to be referred to as 'Oriental'.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Can we have a longer discussion on why it doesn’t matter to be politically correct instead?

• Reply 18 of 26
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

When was the last time that Apple announced the iPhone without leaving a big disappointment for people who believed in rumors? No difference this time and a lot of people WILL be disappointed because there's no 5.5" iPhone...WHATSOEVER. But then Apple still sell the heck out of 4.7" iPhone. It's been proven from time to time with 4S and 5S which were just a minimal update vs 4 and 5. 4.7" from 4" is a big jump too, there is no reason that Apple should do 5.5" at this time, really.

• Reply 19 of 26
    Not really, smaller IPad was annocened at a seperate event(even if full IPad was upgraded as well) so they can easily.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

That logic board is MUCH bigger than the 5S.

So obvious the 5.5 is coming

Only a deaf man can't see it.

check your pudding