Revised music royalty rules could hurt Apple's Beats Music, iTunes Radio

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ApplePieGuy View Post

Why The **** would I want to listen to songs I already know when listening to 'radio". 

it's not just about just listening to songs you know, but listening to songs you might like. 95% of what they play on the radio is garbage, with the same 10 songs played ad nauseum, and with "popularity" determined by payola and back room promotional deals rather than by actual quality or popular demand.

iTunes Radio and Pandora serve up the same tired garbage. They will play songs "similar" to what you request based on "algorithms". Beats Music actually offers many human curated playlists, and if at any point you want to play a specific song, artist or album you have complete freedom to do so. All this is especially evident if one's taste extends beyond "top 40." Let's say I want to listen to some good indie music or EDM, on the radio if you're lucky enough to find a relevant station, they're playing the same crappy tired playlist over and over, with most of the songs over a year old.

• Reply 62 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApplePieGuy View Post

Why The **** would I want to listen to songs I already know when listening to 'radio". 

it's not just about just listening to songs you know, but listening to songs you might like. 95% of what they play on the radio is garbage, with the same 10 songs played ad nauseum, and with "popularity" determined by payola and back room promotional deals rather than by actual quality or popular demand.

iTunes Radio and Pandora serve up the same tired garbage. They will play songs "similar" to what you request based on "algorithms". Beats Music actually offers many human curated playlists, and if at any point you want to play a specific song, artist or album you have complete freedom to do so. All this is especially evident if one's taste extends beyond "top 40." Let's say I want to listen to some good indie music or EDM, on the radio if you're lucky enough to find a relevant station, they're playing the same crappy tired playlist over and over, with most of the songs over a year old.

If you like classical music, try BBC Radio 3. They play a wide variety of music. English radio is the best in the world.

• Reply 63 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

If you like classical music, try BBC Radio 3. They play a wide variety of music. English radio is the best in the world.

Not much of a classical listener I'm afraid, though BBC Radio 1 is great for house and EDM. Always been a fan of the British music scene.

• Reply 64 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

When is the last time you've tried iTunes Radio? Its actually worked quite well recently for me. Yes, it used to suck but now it works pretty well. They've stopped playing songs 2 times in a row, when you tell it not to play a song it no longer plays it, its quite good at suggesting music you might like based on what you've previously told iTunes what you like, etc. 

It's not just about playing the same song twice in a row. iTunes Radio's idea of recommended music is often playing more songs from the same artist or playing songs based on sales stats or very generic genres.

These algorithms just don't work, unless you're content to listen to almost anything. You need human curation. That's why DJs are so well paid and in such high demand despite the appearance that they're "merely" playing other people's music. It takes a deep knowledge of a particular musical scene  and audience to figure out what kind of artists and tracks go well together in an artistically creative way. This should involve mixing some recognizable hits with up and coming new music. I have never seen iTunes Radio or Pandora up to the task, but Beats Music's curated playlists come pretty close. And with Beats, I always have the option of listening to any song, artist or album I want, on demand.

?I'll acknowledge that services like Pandora and iTunes Radio are great for users who don't want to spend too much time thinking about what they listen to and aren't too picky about what's chosen for them. But for listeners with more specific musical tastes I don't think they're the right solution.

• Reply 65 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Your concern trolling of Apple's supposedly weak music sales has no basis in reality, as Apple have never released their music sales figures.

On the contrary, I'm quite bullish on Apple's prospects in streaming music since their acquisition of Beats. I just hope they don't mess things up if/when they decide to merge Beats Music with iTunes Radio. The two have drastically divergent approaches to UI design and one might argue that the Beats Music UI isn't a great fit for Apple's clean and simple philosophy. Nonetheless, Beats Music does a better job in the end and I think it would be a huge mistake to dumb it down for a broader more mainstream audience.