Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac launches with OS X 10.10 Yosemite support, speed boosts, more

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52

"And for those who might balk at my comment.. I lived in Russia for 8 years of my life... I will never forget the treatment I received as the hatred for Americans grew. I will never forget!"

Don't sweat it. Americans are equally hated around the world. American arrogance and self-centredness are not virtues in any other culture.

• Reply 22 of 52

Apple gives us a free OS upgrade and Parallels forces us to pay $50 to upgrade? I upgraded last time and that will be the last upgrade. If Parallels isn't patched Yosemite for free, I will be using any of the other alternatives and will NEVER use Parallels again. I will encourage all my friends and contacts to switch also.

Goodbye Parallels.

• Reply 23 of 52
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectroTech View Post

"And for those who might balk at my comment.. I lived in Russia for 8 years of my life... I will never forget the treatment I received as the hatred for Americans grew. I will never forget!"

Don't sweat it. Americans are equally hated around the world. American arrogance and self-centredness are not virtues in any other culture.

I don't want to diverge from this story... but I would like to say that I disagree with you. I have lived in Europe for 15 years... and in most places there are no issues. I only found the common willingness to do harm to Americans in Russia. Okay... there were issues in Croatia, but that was only for some... and it was towards all non-Croats so that is different.

• Reply 24 of 52

Ask most Canadians and Mexicans how they feel about the US of A? If you don't identify yourself first as a Yankee, you will find out how despised and mistrusted citizens of the US are. The Europeans aren't your friends either. Ask the people of the 'liberated' countries how they feared being raped and robbed by the US troops during and after WWII? Ask the people of the Middle East how they like US imperialism? Ask the UN how much the US has contributed to their share of the costs? Ask the people of Africa who's families were killed off by US made arms?

• Reply 25 of 52
    Quote:

Apple gives us a free OS upgrade and Parallels forces us to pay $50 to upgrade? I upgraded last time and that will be the last upgrade. If Parallels isn't patched Yosemite for free, I will be using any of the other alternatives and will NEVER use Parallels again. I will encourage all my friends and contacts to switch also.

Goodbye Parallels.

I fail to understand why everyone wants things for free.  If someone puts out a new version of software, then they should be paid for it.  You can exercise your rights as a consumer and not get it, that's up to you and you're particular needs.  But if someone puts engineering time/labor into it, then they deserve to be paid for it.  Parallels and Apple are both for profit businesses.  Parallels survives on software sales, Apple is HARDWARE sales.  Apples interest lays in getting the next version of their Mac sold and the OS is part of the package.  Parallels is 100% software and can't afford to just give their stuff away.

That said, I don't like the $50 upgrade charge myself.  I'd rather pay a small maintenance fee or something personally, but I do understand.

• Reply 26 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I took his comment to refer to the fact that Parallels global headquarters is in Seattle. Looking at his profile, he is also in Seattle. 

Indeed. Honestly, I had no idea Parallels was developed outside of the US. At some point I remember seeing a Renton address listed (which is a suburb adjacent to Seattle) and assumed they were local.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

I fail to understand why everyone wants things for free.  If someone puts out a new version of software, then they should be paid for it.  You can exercise your rights as a consumer and not get it, that's up to you and you're particular needs.  But if someone puts engineering time/labor into it, then they deserve to be paid for it.  Parallels and Apple are both for profit businesses.  Parallels survives on software sales, Apple is HARDWARE sales.  Apples interest lays in getting the next version of their Mac sold and the OS is part of the package.  Parallels is 100% software and can't afford to just give their stuff away.

That said, I don't like the $50 upgrade charge myself.  I'd rather pay a small maintenance fee or something personally, but I do understand.

Again, I understand the need for them to make money. If they released free upgrades for everyone for the life of the product, they'd fold. However, again, I'd feel the upgrade fee was more palatable if my $50 covered more than one Mac and if it was less often than annual. I was paying $150/year to upgrade my three machines. Now I'm only paying for two systems, but I just upgraded from 8 to 9 four months ago and it just feels way too soon to be having to fork out another $100. I see they've also greatly reduced the subscription fee for Parallels Access too ($35 for two years now instead of, what, $40/year?). Clearly I'm not the only one who feels it was way over-priced.

• Reply 27 of 52
    appexappex Posts: 687member

Parallels Desktop fails to properly handle external USB devices, where VMware Fusion excels.

• Reply 28 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by oberpongo View Post

Parallels is the biggest RIP off. Every Year when Apple brings out a free OS upgrade, parallels stops working and suggests buying the latest version for $50. Would be nice if one could keep using a piece of software for more than a year.

I love how these idiots ALWAYS say that the latest version is the only one compatible with whatever latest OS X version you may have. I remember buying Parallels 5 or 6 just to see it replaced a few months later by another "necessary" update. It's actually amazing to see people still supporting them; just go with VirtualBox and be done with it.

• Reply 29 of 52
    oberpongo wrote: »
    $50 is not A blowout if you use it often. But if like me you need it just for one windows app I think it is. And also it's not the money it's the time it takes me to find out that I need the next version, order it, download it, install it and might have to configure something. I expect all my apps to continue working when I upgrade the OS. It's called backwards compatibility. And in this case apple does everything to make the OS backwards compatible while parallels uses this opportunity to rip of customers for features they don't need.

reinbak wrote: »
    From 2011 I've had Parallels 6, 7, 8 and 9. Every year I had to upgrade to get full functionality for the (almost free) upgade of OSX. That is more than 50 Euro's every year! I think this is really a bad upgrade policy. For me most versions were more like an update than an upgrade
    I've bought my latest upgrade to Version 9 FOUR months ago and now I need to upgrade AGAIN to Version 10 next month when OSX Yosemite is released to get full functionality!
    I really feel ripped off!
    I hope Parallels will change it's policy! E.G. one upgrade for free and only 50 Euro's if upgrading from the previous version (e.g. 7 to 9 or 8 to 10) would be a much more reasonable policy!

Goodbye Parallels.

$50 for an upgrade to run multiple Windows/Linux/ChromeOS from ONE COMPUTER... at the same time? Smooth, with less effort... and CHEAPER than a stand-alone desktop?

You folks have been bitten by the 99 cent bug too many times. A generalization: you're all bloody daft! And as someone mentioned, just wait until they go full subscription for $10/month.

-- Thought Bubbble -- What makes people think that software, and especially productivity software such as this, should be update priced cheaper than a weeks supple of Starbucks coffee???!!! -- /Thought Bubble -- *** it exploded in billions of sad nano droplets of exasperation ***

Edited: Huddler was trying to render an HTML "Thought Bubble".....?!
  • Reply 30 of 52
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

It's funny -- the existence of things like Parallels, VMware, and Bootcamp gave me the safety net I needed to move (back) to the Mac in 2006. For a while I used Bootcamp to play some PC games I liked, but over time I stopped using it, and now I have no need for it at all. 

Because you stopped playing those games, or because game companies have gotten better at simultaneous releases for Mac?

Quote:

I wonder how many other people are in my camp -- that is, Windows compatibility provided a safety net to move to the Mac, but that safety net is no longer needed. The answer to that question might also be the answer to the question of whether Apple could ever really switch to ARM for Macs.  

I guess it depends on whether you are speaking as a home user who does not need to collaborate with anyone else beyond answering simple emails or typing up plain text documents, or whether you speak as someone who works in a Windows centric company which uses convoluted applications and features only available for Windows.

• Reply 31 of 52
    I was very hesitant to pay $60 for the first version of Parallels 8 I purchased two years ago but now I don't blink at immediately pay $50 for every upgrade to this essential app. Parallels makes cross platform development possible and unlocks the true value of Macintosh computers by running both Mac and Windows apps on the same computer. Their support has been excellent as well. They took care of a crash I was experiencing in Visual Studio when running OpenGL apps in their following free update.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

And again, without fail.

Parallels releases a new version that requires money.

"that's it, I'm done with Parallels, I'm switching to VMWare Fusion.

VMWare releases a new version that requires money.

"that's it, I'm done with VMWare, I'm switching to Parallels.

People just flip flop between the 2. If your current version works, keep it, don't upgrade. Do you really have to have the latest version of Windows running on (ruining) your Mac?

• Reply 33 of 52
    I can confirm that Parallels 10 is faster and uses less Mac CPU.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

These upgrades are essentially massive new releases and are generally worth the money you pay for. Oh and good luck with VMWare which hasn't been updated for a very long time.

It looks like VMware has a Technology Preview for a new release of Fusion so I don't think they've given up yet.

This is good news and they should release it soon.

I'd keep an eye on their Facebook page for updates.

• Reply 35 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

Quote:

Goodbye Parallels.

In my opinion, Parallels should charge $500 for the upgrade, if only to discourage anyone from using Windows.

• Reply 36 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Edited: Huddler was trying to render an HTML "Thought Bubble".....?!

You've only just noticed? Emoticons haven't been working for days.

• Reply 37 of 52
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

Good to know, I thought it was just me. :D
  • Reply 38 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Good to know, I thought it was just me. image

Emoji still work on iOS, as do the ones built into OS X in the Character Viewer.

• Reply 39 of 52
    svenxsvenx Posts: 1member
    I've been using Parallels already quite some time on both an iMac and MB Pro, both for private use. But you can't be serious in buying two seperate licenses for that! I'm always using one license for both machines. And it works like a charm!
  • Reply 40 of 52
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    This is what is annoying. Parallels 8 worked fine with Yosemite DP versions 1-4. Then DP 5 comes out as the first public beta. Parallels then throws up an error message saying that an upgrade is necessary for compatibility with Yosemite.