First Apple Store in the Middle East to open in Dubai next year - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You're just being poisonous for daring to simply point out any facts. You're the bad one, not the wackjobs who were calling for Steve Job's death.

Let's pretend that it never happened, and let's attack anybody who points out facts in this thread, because I love to make excuses for these murderous savages.

I'd rather see these murderous scumbags with their heads on a pike than using an Apple product.

• Reply 22 of 41
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I don't think the cube design would have gone down too well there (makkah).

No wonder it's so tough to find ice cubes in the Middle East¡ ????

apple ][ wrote: »
    I didn't read the story Apple][ linked to, but I can be pretty sure there was truth in it because I personally read pages upon pages of vile religious chatter calling for SJ's death due to the cube design.
    You're just being poisonous for daring to simply point out any facts. You're the bad one, not the wackjobs who were calling for Steve Job's death.

Let's pretend that it never happened, and let's attack anybody who points out facts in this thread, because I love to make excuses for these murderous savages.

One of us is misreading [@]monstrosity[/@]'s comment because to me it sounds like he was backing up your statement.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

One of us is misreading @monstrosity's comment because to me it sounds like he was backing up your statement.

There's also another scenario.

Both of us are reading monstrosity's comment perfectly well and understood exactly what he meant, however, one of us is misreading Apple ]['s comment.

• Reply 24 of 41
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Why don't you go defend the savages who just chopped off an American journalists head? And you call me the poisonous one, lol.

No one is defending murder. No doubt there is a lot of hate in the Middle East, but Dubai is rated as the best city in the entire Middle East and has a human rights ranking higher than the US. It is certainly not a bad place for an Apple store. 

• Reply 25 of 41
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

No one is defending murder. No doubt there is a lot of hate in the Middle East, but Dubai is rated as the best city in the entire Middle East and has a human rights ranking higher than the US. It is certainly not a bad place for an Apple store. 

My comment had nothing to do with Dubai at all. My comment had to do with somebody who was criticizing the old link that I posted.

• Reply 26 of 41
    mstone wrote: »

Does that include all the reports of labourers brought over from other countries with the promise of good pay just to have their passports held and wages garnished or not paid at all because of bait and switch tactics? I don't know if those reports are true, but I've certainly read about them.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Does that include all the reports of labourers brought over from other countries with the promise of good pay just to have their passports held and wages garnished or not paid at all because of bait and switch tactics? I don't know if those reports are true, but I've certainly read about them.

It does. They were accused of those violations back in the early 2000s and they cleaned it up to earn a very favorable rating now.

Quote: Wikipedia

In 2013, the Norway-based Global Network for Rights and Development (GNRD) released its annual International Human Rights Indicator (IHRRI) report, which ranks the United Arab Emirates first among Arab countries and 14th globally for respecting human rights. The next Arab country on the list,Tunisia, was ranked at 72. The UAE was also ranked six spots ahead of the United States, which was placed 20th overall. To acquire its 14th position, the UAE fared well across 21 individual categories, performing best in the education category with a 94 percent finish for ensuring education for all children. The UAE also earned a 70 percent rating for providing rights to acceptable conditions at work

• Reply 28 of 41
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »

I've always heard that of wannabe models.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I've always heard that of wannabe models.

Is sex trafficking in Dubai still an issue? It's not documented like typical labourers so I think it could go unnoticed by GNRD and other groups but I have to assume it's an issue… as I assume it's an issue nearly everywhere in the world.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,500member

I don't understand why articles relating to the Middle East are immediately attacked by a bunch of high-ranked posters who spread fear and offensive racial comments. These comments are neither relevant to this site nor factual, and they ruin the whole experience of Appleinsider.

Moderators should delete such posts (unfortunately some moderators contribute to the madness), there are numerous sites out there where haters can hate, let's leave this one for technology and those who appreciate Apple.

*Grammar

• Reply 31 of 41
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    I don't understand why articles relating to the Middle East are immediately attacked by a bunch of high-ranked posters who spread fear and offensive racial comments. These comments are neither relevant to this site nor factual, and they ruin the whole experience of Appleinsider.

Moderators should delete such posts (unfortunately some moderators contribute to the madness), there are numerous sites out there where haters can hate, let's leave this one for technology and those who appreciate Apple.

*Grammar

It's like they can't help themselves, which indicates a certain amount of pathology. We got as far as beheading and sex slavery associated with the good news of a new Apple store. Like sex slavery never occurs in the US, or murders of turbaned individuals or mass shootings at temples that have nothing to do with Jihadists, such is the ignorance of our home-grown terrorists.

The moderators should clean this up, I agree with you. It cheapens the whole site. Do the mods not care?
  • Reply 32 of 41

Good move by Apple. There's nothing else to see in Dubai, so you might as well splurge in an Apple shop.

• Reply 33 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Quote:

I'd rather see these murderous scumbags with their heads on a pike than using an Apple product.

Maybe so, but it's better to turn the other Safari tab, as SolipsismX would say.

• Reply 34 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:

Why don't you go defend the savages who just chopped off an American journalists head? And you call me the poisonous one, lol.

If Dubai is rated best city in the Middle East, God help them. It's the most boring place in the world. If Panama  is as you describe, I certainly wouldn't recommend Dubai, unless you like doing lots of shopping.

• Reply 35 of 41
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I didn't read the story Apple][ linked to, but I can be pretty sure there was truth in it because I personally read pages upon pages of vile religious chatter calling for SJ's death due to the cube design.

I am a muslim and I used to live in the middle east during that time period. I only heard about this years later in the US. Seriously.. no one cares if a building is cube. This is just someone trying to get attention.

• Reply 36 of 41
    nasserae wrote: »
    I am a muslim and I used to live in the middle east during that time period. I only heard about this years later in the US. Seriously.. no one cares if a building is cube. This is just someone trying to get attention.

I can see it being more of an irrational problem for those against Islam in a post-9/11 NYC when a cube structure covered in black was erected.

I recall when there was outrage when a mosque was being built too close to where the Twin Towers had stood. Ignorant on so many levels.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Is sex trafficking in Dubai still an issue? It's not documented like typical labourers so I think it could go unnoticed by GNRD and other groups but I have to assume it's an issue… as I assume it's an issue nearly everywhere in the world.

I heard those sex trafficking stories before Dubai became popular.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

There are also many Facebook pages by American christians calling people to pray for Obama's death. There are crazy people everywhere.

• Reply 39 of 41
    Quote:

I recall when there was outrage when a mosque was being built too close to where the Twin Towers had stood. Ignorant on so many levels.

I didn't realise mosques had several floors.

One learns something every day.

• Reply 40 of 41
    Good move by Apple. There's nothing else to see in Dubai, so you might as well splurge in an Apple shop.

There's always the indoor ski resort.