First photos of purported 5.5-inch 'iPhone 6' rear shell compare part to 4.7-inch model

Comments

• Reply 61 of 106

"The larger shell also features an Apple logo cutout that will presumably be filled with a radio transparent material for better signal transmission, an engineering design first seen in the iPad mini with Retina display."

Wasn't the original iPad the first to use this engineering design? I'm pretty sure the wifi or bluetooth antenna sat right underneath the Apple logo....

• Reply 62 of 106
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I quite enjoy The Happening, as it’s presented on the Internet, and fully support Ron Paul’s role therein.

People don’t know what they want until you show it to them.

To modernize a famous saying, before the iPhone, you’d’ve wanted an even smaller Razr.

So… don’t. Carry both and use HANDOFF with iOS 8. Problem solved. Leave the phone in your pocket WHERE IT WILL FIT. Use the iPad.

It’s like I’m in an alternate universe where a hand span of 9.5” is the smallest you’ll see on a human…

Did I miss something? Is Apple creating devices for the Globetrotter homeworld?

So Mr Tallest Ski............will you NOW admit that i was RIGHT and you were WRONG about the 5.5????

Time for you to man up (or women up, not sure your gender)

More proof the 5.5 is never going to happen.

• Reply 63 of 106
    sog35 wrote: »
    must be really foggy in England.
    Cant see how obvious 5.5 is at this point.

are you one of those guys who think NASA never landed on the Moon?

You're too easily baited dude, let it go. They like Skil, Fallen etc have the personality type that is so self absorbed that they actually think something is wrong with other people on a fundamental level for wanting something that they don't want. Even though it won't affect them in any way because they'll still have a smaller option, and even in the face of evidence. So no point engaging them until after September 9~
  • Reply 64 of 106
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So Mr Tallest Ski............will you NOW admit that i was RIGHT and you were WRONG about the 5.5????

Right about what? I don't recall you saying there will be purported leaks of upcomign Apple products right up Apple announces an actual product. You said there is an 5.5" iPhone but you have to yet to prove it. All I've read is your desire for one. I would even be satisfied with you saying, "based on these rumours I believe there will be a 5.5" iPhone coming out this year," but note how that isn't proof of anything.

Told you all the 5.5 was coming.

Why should anyone listen to you for spouting off your desires? If you want people to heed your words you need to form an argument as to why you believe this will happen. Anything else is just ignorant guesswork that could be correct but not for any intelligent reason.
  • Reply 65 of 106
    its so sad that people can't admit that the 5.5 is coming.

the lack of vision is astounding.

i mean really. how much more proof do you need?

1) Pay attention. I believe the larger iPhones are coming, but all my reasoning for thinking that is based only circumstantial and historical evidence which means I can't prove it.

2) How much more proof? How about one piece of evidence that proves it? An announcement from Apple would help.

3) Remember the tapered iPhone that never happened? I do.
  • Reply 66 of 106
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

its so sad that people can't admit that the 5.5 is coming.

the lack of vision is astounding.

i mean really. how much more proof do you need?

For me it would be Tim Cook holding one up at the key note or perhaps Gizmodo stealing one.

• Reply 67 of 106

Soon as that 5.5 comes out I will turn into a "Currernt iPhone Owner"!

• Reply 68 of 106
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I think it's going happen despite such a small percentage of Android-based devices are over 4.5".

I didn't think the numbers were so high for smaller Android devices and that's Google's own data:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/16/phablet-smartphone-tablet-sales-growing-apple-missing-out-canalys

Something doesn't add up here though. Canalys says there that 1/3 of devices sold now are above 5" and we're always reading reports about how current Android sales share is 80% or more but according to Google's data, they aren't eroding the install base of small devices. How can so many people be buying large devices (anything above 4.2-4.5") and Google doesn't know about it?

It looks like phablet phandom has just gotten started in which case Apple isn't really late to the party. I also suspect it's a passing phad. People will realise how unpleasant they are to live with and migrate back to more usable device sizes.

These shells also look fake. Why do they have 3 holes at the camera location now? There's still no explanation for the Apple cutout either. Why cut out the logo when there's plastic antenna bands? The battery takes up most of the back.
  • Reply 69 of 106
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member

They better announce it at the same time! I'd hate to regret buying the 4.7 if the 5.5 is announced after the 4.7 launch

• Reply 70 of 106
    so you didn't believe that 5S had a fingerprint scanner until Tim Cook showed it?
    so you didn't believe the 5C was coming out until Tim Cook showed it?

i mean, really?

This aint 1980.  News leaks boys.

You ask questions that use the term 'believe' but yet you're interpreting that as a belief equates to proof. Hint: It does not.
  • Reply 71 of 106
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

so you didn't believe that 5S had a fingerprint scanner until Tim Cook showed it?

so you didn't believe the 5C was coming out until Tim Cook showed it?

i mean, really?

This aint 1980.  News leaks boys.

At this point it is still rumors of rumors. I may suspect there is a probability that something may happen and maybe even hope that it does... but believe, nope. 

I think there is a probably a 50/50 chance a 5.5" will be released in the near future. Maybe if we get more parts leaks that are clear and in focus, I'll reconsider. 

I don't understand why you are so adamant about it. It is interesting but I'm not as enthusiastic as you are about it.

• Reply 72 of 106

That’s funny, I don’t recall Apple announcing a product.

Don't be a coward.  Pay up.

Don’t be a moron. Shut up.

Originally Posted by Fuzzypaws View Post

…so self absorbed that they actually think something is wrong with other people on a fundamental level for wanting something that they don’t want.

You’re psychotic. Are you just incapable of reading anything I’ve written, or are you just as deluded as you claim we are?

…even in the face of evidence.

What evidence? This is the first thing we’ve seen about it at all.

• Reply 73 of 106

tens of millions of people prefer.

Nice to see you’ve backed it down instantaneously. Can we go for hundreds of thousands now? You know, like a real number would be?

• Reply 74 of 106
    Marvin wrote: »
    I didn't think the numbers were so high for smaller Android devices and that's Google's own data:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/16/phablet-smartphone-tablet-sales-growing-apple-missing-out-canalys

Something doesn't add up here though. Canalys says there that 1/3 of devices sold now are above 5" and we're always reading reports about how current Android sales share is 80% or more but according to Google's data, they aren't eroding the install base of small devices. How can so many people be buying large devices (anything above 4.2-4.5") and Google doesn't know about it?

It looks like phablet phandom has just gotten started in which case Apple isn't really late to the party. I also suspect it's a passing phad. People will realise how unpleasant they are to live with and migrate back to more usable device sizes.

These shells also look fake. Why do they have 3 holes at the camera location now? There's still no explanation for the Apple cutout either. Why cut out the logo when there's plastic antenna bands? The battery takes up most of the back.

The difference comes in when you separate Android phones into the premium high end tier vs the endless flood of low end cheap crap. There are no phablet devices in the cheap tier at all, except for older prior-year models. They are exclusively in the upper tier, where they make up a fairly sizeable amount of the phones sold in that tier.
  • Reply 75 of 106
    jamesv wrote: »
    Except " all other phones that large" won't be as thin as the next iPhones. Making the iPhone at them sizes the first to be able to use COMFORTABLY......with 1 hand!

As someone who uses a Note 3, I can tell you it's not the thickness of the phone that impacts one-handed usability. Its the width. If this phone had no bezels around the screen it would become much more usable. If it was half as thick, it would still be just as difficult to use with one hand. That's not to say it's impossible to use with one hand. I do it all the time. Two hands is definitely easier though.
  • Reply 76 of 106
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I hate big ass phones. How do you use a 5.5" device comfortably with one hand? Or does that not matter anymore?

Fortunately for me, I have 2 hands.  I am glad to see some leak parts of the 5.5", its the model I want.

• Reply 77 of 106
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So… don’t. Carry both and use HANDOFF with iOS 8. Problem solved. Leave the phone in your pocket WHERE IT WILL FIT. Use the iPad.

A DSLR is better than my iPhone camera- does that mean i should lug it around everywhere?  Yes- a very mobile phone is better than a larger phone, and an iPad is better for screen-usage than an iPhone also.

But why not just have a tiny little razor and an iPad everywhere you go- with that philosophy?  Why have an iPhone at all?

I'd rather carry one device and have it do both things "well enough"- even if it's not "the best" for all situations.  Hence- my DSLR reference.

• Reply 78 of 106
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzypaws View Post

You're too easily baited dude,

Benjamin is the master of baiting.... 

• Reply 79 of 106
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

38+10+40+11 = 98,000,000

None of those numbers are legitimate, as they are unproven. Additionally, that’s “sold”. Use of devices show that no one is actually using them.

Yes, I said it. Know why? Because you’d have to be an idiot to believe otherwise. Samsung publicly saying something is meaningless. THEY HAVE BEEN EXPLICITLY CAUGHT LYING ABOUT SALES IN THE PAST. They are COMPLETELY untrustworthy.

• Reply 80 of 106

I'd have to hold both in my hand before deciding, but the 4.7" alone is a lot less likely to get me out of my Galaxy S5, especially if it is saddled with 1gb of RAM.