Intuit releases redesigned Quicken 2015 for Mac, first new version in 7 years

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member

Edit doesn't seem to be working.  

Another list of alternate personal finance apps:

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2009/07/01/good-bye-microsoft-money-16-powerful-personal-finance-programs/

• Reply 42 of 90
    well... bad news right off the bat. There are several views that show up as 'plain text'.. without graphics and messed up formatting. Quicken Essentials showed all brokerage accounts fine...in 2015 the totals are wrong. Share amounts and costs are right... totals wrong.
  • Reply 43 of 90
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I think it's good that they've at least started to make an effort and let's not forget that Adobe and even Apple did the same sort of things years ago. Adobe took 10-12 years to make their software Cocoa and 64-bit. Apple never made Final Cut Pro 7 Cocoa nor 64-bit, same with Quicktime Pro and look at what's happened with Aperture. They didn't wait as long as 7 years without a new version but they still caused headaches.

Quicken and Quickbooks (not sure why they have so many versions) have a large codebase:

http://www.drdobbs.com/tools/building-quickbooks-how-intuit-manages-1/240003694

"You wouldn't guess it," Burt says, "but on each platform, all those products come out of a single codebase. The Windows version is about 80,000 source files, 10+ million lines of C++ code plus a little C# for the .NET parts. Plus help files, tax tables, files defining local accounting rules, tax and other government reporting forms, upgrade offers…a lot of files. Every customer gets the full version. Specific feature sets are turned on and off with the license key."

Other products are bigger:

http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/million-lines-of-code/

Office 2013 has 45 million and the goal should be to get as much done with as little as possible but trying to manage any codebase that size can be problematic. Intuit has 8,500 staff, many of who will be in support roles. Microsoft has 128,000 employees with 61,000 in the US.

This Mac version is cheaper than the Windows version - probably because it's missing so much - but asking which features are most important is a good way forward, they list all the missing things:

http://www.quicken.com/mac/compare

File compatibility with the Windows version isn't on the list and important. It does mention some import capability in the article:

"Users of previous Quicken for Mac and Quicken for Windows versions, as well as Quicken Essentials for Mac, will be able to import their data to Quicken 2015."

Accountants have to use the full-featured Windows version at the moment so even if the Mac version is cut down, those users still need the ability to send the files to the accountant and vice versa. This isn't the case for alternative accounting software either though.

Sage is a big competitor to Intuit and they don't have a Mac version at all. What's interesting with Sage is they only have a $4.3b market cap vs $24b for Intuit. Sage also acts as a payment processor like Paypal and has 6m customers. That could make for a good acquisition for both accounting and payment processing. A small business could have the two linked up.

I think it's good that Intuit has done an iOS app too and I suspect that was a big driver in the decision because the iOS userbase is so large now. They absolutely deserve criticism for not supporting the Mac for so long but they've responded to the criticism now. I'm happy they've finally put in some effort and I hope that it can reach a point where people don't have to resort to using Windows just to have decent accounting software.

If Microsoft, Oracle or similar bought Sage, they could turn that into a serious competitor to Intuit and grow the userbase. Apple could take it on but it's not really their kind of software and maintaining cross-platform support is needed.
  • Reply 44 of 90

I bought Moneyworks. It's far better and built from the ground up for Mac. They have a windows version as well and everything is cross-compatible. http://www.cognito.co.nz

• Reply 45 of 90
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Honest question. Is there ANY chance the testimonials on this page are authentic:

http://www.quicken.com/mac

All extremely positive testimonials, with perfect grammar, and perfect PR speak, that just happen to praise the aspects that the company is advertising, as soon as the product is released. I know that the fake testimonial practise is common, but should be unacceptable for such a well known company to engage in this filthy practise.

“I’m thrilled about this upgrade. Quicken 2015 for Mac has all the things I’ve loved about Quicken before and added some awesome new features. Importing my data from Quicken Essentials for Mac was a snap.”

“I would highly recommend Quicken 2015 to my family and friends. The program is well-organized and easy to navigate. Eye-pleasing graphics also help to create a great user experience.”

“I’m a big fan of Quicken. Intuit put a lot of thought into the new Quicken 2015 for Mac. It has a gorgeous interface, helpful shortcuts, as well as colorful reports that are easy to understand and presented in a way that makes it fun to manage my money.”

“I love the look and feel of Quicken 2015 for Mac. It behaves like a real Mac application. I’m impressed by the ease of use. Even syncing with my iPhone and iPad works seamlessly.”

Quicken 2015 for Mac works really well. Everything is well-organized, visually appealing and easy to use. Being able to sync data with my iPhone is a huge benefit!”

etc...

Really?

• Reply 46 of 90
    jafujafu Posts: 9member

Most likely NOT. I use both Windows and OS X and need cross platform compatibility which Quicken doesn't provide. I discovered open source Gnu Cash and never looked back. It's free, easy to use, and compatible with Mac, PC and Linux. If you use a service like Dropbox you're always automatically up to date on all your devices.

• Reply 47 of 90
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Intuit can't even offer feature parity with the Mac version from seven years ago much less the current Windows version. It's easy to suspect there are executives at the company who want this product release to fail.
  • Reply 48 of 90
    mbsmdmbsmd Posts: 34member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

More of the same BS from Quicken. For years Mac users have been asking for feature parity and file format compatibility and Intuit has ignored them. They're not getting my money.

This.

Up yours, Quicken.

• Reply 49 of 90
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

All extremely positive testimonials, with perfect grammar, and perfect PR speak, that just happen to praise the aspects that the company is advertising, as soon as the product is released. I know that the fake testimonial practise is common, but should be unacceptable for such a well known company to engage in this filthy practise.

Anything like this that consistently uses the FULL NAME of the product is absolutely a fake.

We saw the same thing between the announcement and release of the Xbone, also known as the Xbox One. While ‘Xbone’ is the term most people use, a great number of positive “reviews”, et. al. for it would refuse to use anything but ‘Xbox One’ to describe it, even when explicitly asked to type something different to prove they weren’t paid marketers.

And from what I keep reading about the Quicken family of products, I certainly wouldn’t put it past Intuit.

• Reply 50 of 90
    No way to import my Windows Quicken 2006 data? I guess I'm stuck running the old Quicken on an XP virtual machine for the foreseeable future. VMWare gets my money instead of Intuit, all to run an Intuit product.
  • Reply 51 of 90
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Anyone tried MoneyWorks? (cognito.co.nz)  The other solution is one of the many online accountancy titles. Personally I gave up and handed it all to my bookkeeper and accountant. Suddenly I have time to spare for my company.

• Reply 52 of 90
    Yeah...

Let me think about how I feel about this..

Oh yeah.. "Yawn". No no no... 'yawn' is better.

Too little, too late, and I hate Intuit. This is a class of software that simply isn't needed nearly as much now as it was in the '90's.
  • Reply 53 of 90
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

I bought Moneyworks. It's far better and built from the ground up for Mac. They have a windows version as well and everything is cross-compatible. http://www.cognito.co.nz

I was a little worried about this because no accountant I could find had ever heard of Moneyworks and I am no accountancy expert. 

• Reply 54 of 90

I was hoping for a long time that Intuit would make a real Mac version (feature and file compatibility) of Quicken so I could abandon my Windows virtual machine and older Quicken version. It looks like I'm not alone.

This is obviously not the product I'm looking for. Is Intuit purposefully trying to sabotage another half hearted, half measure so they can claim the Mac market is not interested? They have the resources and focus to make the product people want, I wish they would stop beating around the bush and either do it right or state unequivocally that they have abandoned the Mac market.

• Reply 55 of 90
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Are Moneydance and iBank still Java based?  Java is a security blackhole and I refuse to have it on any of my Macs.

• Reply 56 of 90
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    inkling wrote: »
    Intuit can't even offer feature parity with the Mac version from seven years ago much less the current Windows version. It's easy to suspect there are executives at the company who want this product release to fail.

Because Apple has never dropped large numbers of features when rewriting their apps? How was FCP's feature parity with the previous version. iMovie and iWorks suffered similar cuts in features when they were rewritten. I would guess that Quicken 2015 is a full rewrite of Quicken. Not just an upgrade from 2007. I'm not going to run out and purchase 2015. But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt to see if they do in fact continue to work to add features.
  • Reply 57 of 90

How can I Convert my Quicken 2004 Data on 10.4.11 Power PC Mac into this Quicken 2015 which will be running under Mavericks 10.9.4 on MacBook, if Intuit only Support Conversion of 2007 and Newer according to their Support http://j.mp/1wdXA3g 

If this can't be done, what are jay other options as far as competing products? Intuit's Support is Text Chat only, no phone, and to me that is TORTURE!!!!

Thanks in advance for your help!
  • Reply 58 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpantone View Post

I am currently using Quicken 2013

Yeah, we're on Quicken 2012. It freaking sucks though. The "cloud" sync has to be the slowest thing on the Internet, and I think the autocompletion is very poorly implemented. I need to move away. It's unfortunate that Intuit bought Mint -- I was thinking of going that route, but Quicken has sucked so badly that I can't see sticking with that company.

• Reply 59 of 90
    krreagankrreagan Posts: 218member
    Never in a million years!!!

I avoid all Intuit products like the plague!
  • Reply 60 of 90
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhbellmor View Post

So Intuit released a product lacking features and now they let us vote and they will add features over time.  Oh and we get to pay $75 for an upgrade and wait for the features to show up or not?  Intuit must have needed cash so bad they had to release an expensive upgrade lacking in features.

As much as Intuit and Campbell are to blame, they wouldn't be the first company to release products with missing features and then telling people they will add features over time.  Both Intuit and Microsoft could easily point the finger at Apple for doing the same thing with their own Mac applications.  Yet people don't seem to criticize Apple as much for doing the same thing, or they are more likely to dismiss the same complaints when they are directed at Apple.