Apple's interest in reversible USB plugs detailed in new patent application

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

This is the connector that plugs into the ports currently found on computers, not your iPhone.  I have not seen any indication that Apple plans to replace all USB ports on their Macs with Lightning.

I realize that, but for Apple to design or sanction a fatter USB plug makes little sense. The MBA has two USB's and a larger plug means less internal space, and less room for overall design optimization.

• Reply 22 of 41
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

But what about:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

From what we've seen of this reversible cable it has a big flappy tongue on the inside.  I'm sure Apple will ship something that's the best they can make it, but whichever way you look at it a big flappy tongue isn't as simple or elegant as the Lightning connector's small form factor and single piece design.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

To be clear, we're talking about the clusterhump of a connector shown in this article, right? I have serious doubts about Apple ever supplying those. Much more likely they will choose to use the new Type-C connector that both solves the issue AND allows them to stick with an "official" and "sanctioned" design.

Now that we see this is an Apple patent, these people are likely to change their story to say how elegant and sophisticated Apple's reversible USB connector is.

• Reply 23 of 41
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I realize that, but for Apple to design or sanction a fatter USB plug makes little sense. The MBA has two USB's and a larger plug means less internal space, and less room for overall design optimization.

Unless I'm mistaken, the idea is that this reversible connector is compatible with existing USB ports on computers, though it may not look like that in the picture.  Here is a YouTube video of the Tripplite reversible USB cable being inserted both ways:

And the MBA has a USB on each side of the laptop, not next to each other.

• Reply 24 of 41
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Now that we see this is an Apple patent, these people are likely to change their story to say how elegant and sophisticated Apple's reversible USB connector is.

Huh?  I was aware it was an Apple patent when I posted that.

EDIT: Actually no, that's not true, I'm getting my timeline mixed up; I wasn't aware there was a patent involved.  But I was aware of the story that Apple were interested in the concept and might be releasing a cable.

I think I'm pretty clear that I think the concept of the cable has its limitations in terms of elegance and simplicity, but Apple will do what they can.

• Reply 25 of 41

Novel idea and most will love it. I personally think they should make a one plug fits all cable. USB, PRINTERS, HEADPHONES, ETC. ETC.

That way when I travel I don't need another suitcase for just my cables.

• Reply 26 of 41
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That's not how patents work anymore. "First inventor to file" is what matters.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_to_file_and_first_to_invent

They still wouldn't be able to assert it against something seen in public prior to their filing. Beyond that how do you know Tripplite didn't file one? They have been making various electronic stuff for a very long time. I think I have a couple of their power strips.

• Reply 27 of 41
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    If Type-C takes off, the lifespan for a reversible A might be short, a few years?

And I think Apple would be quick to use the new Type-C because of the small size. Since the change from MagSafe to MagSafe 2 I think the USB Type-A port is not the thickest port on a Mac, followed closely by HDMI, but I think even that has a mini-HDMI port interface that would work for 4K video.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    Question is how is apple going to get around this patent http://www.google.com/patents/US20140199888
  • Reply 29 of 41

Question is how is able going to get around this http://www.google.com/patents/US20140199888

Wonder if Samsung gonna follow suit

• Reply 30 of 41
    OH, just what we need. Yet another USB plug style. I've already got at least 7 types. Can't we just let USB die?  Please!

If USB Type-C doesn't solve all of USB's problems, there's always more letters in the alphabet.

If techies love 3 things, it's technical complexity, memorizing specs, and multiple "standards."
  • Reply 31 of 41
    If USB Type-C doesn't solve all of USB's problems, there's always more letters in the alphabet.

If techies love 3 things, it's technical complexity, memorizing specs, and multiple "standards."

Don't forget ostracizing any tech that actually makes things easier to use.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 32 of 41
    If Type-C takes off, the lifespan for a reversible A might be short, a few years?
    A few years would not be a problem, a few months would.

If I'm correct this is incompatible with any current USB? So apple would make it only useful between IOS and Mac, unless others copy(yes I'm talking the Samsung laptops)?
  • Reply 33 of 41
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Unless I'm mistaken, the idea is that this reversible connector is compatible with existing USB ports on computers, though it may not look like that in the picture.  Here is a YouTube video of the Tripplite reversible USB cable being inserted both ways:

And the MBA has a USB on each side of the laptop, not next to each other.

OK, I thought the whole thing (female and male connector) had to be reworked. The reversible plug in the video is a good idea, though personally I don't suffer too much with USB pluggability. And yeah, I own a MBA so I know how the plugs are configured (must have been unclear above).

• Reply 34 of 41

Also question is how is apple going to get around this patent http://www.google.com/patents/US20140199888

• Reply 35 of 41
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They make eSATA+USB ports. I know of several machines that have them. Seems handy in my opinion. At least… before Thunderbolt existed. Now they’re worthless.

Really? There must be something different about the wiring in the non + version, because I ended up having to replace my motherboard, alas. 

I've never actually owned a single eSATA device, so I wish I'd just left the shipping cap on it. 

• Reply 36 of 41
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Doubtful. I have several USB-A devices I don't plan to get rid of (unless they break). I suspect I'm not the only one. 

• Reply 37 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

Really? There must be something different about the wiring in the non + version, because I ended up having to replace my motherboard, alas. 

I've never actually owned a single eSATA device, so I wish I'd just left the shipping cap on it. 

Yep. Same here; I don’t get eSATA.

• Reply 38 of 41
    arlor wrote: »

I have a couple devices with eSATA ports, but they also have other ports. One is an external RAID of which I'm currently utilizing its FW400 port (long story). The other is an external HDD which uses the eSATA port but the cable it comes with is eSATA-to-USB 3.0, which works well for speed. The later also has a USB 3.0 port which makes it a somewhat pointless.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    Where did the original idea for a reversible usb cable come from, I wonder?

Perhaps, Apple's lightening cables shouldn't be considered, but this is how ideas are formed. ;)
  • Reply 40 of 41
    Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

I've mistakenly plugged the other (male?) end into my printer's Ethernet port more than once. Almost makes you wish than all sockets were on the front (and well illuminated).

Just as they aren't on your tv.