Apple updates iMovie for Mac, iWork suite for OS X and iOS with minor bug fixes [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2014
In what appears to be a routine maintenance update, Apple on Thursday rolled out minor iWork app point releases for both Mac and iOS, bringing stability improvements and bug fixes to the company's multi-platform productivity suite.

With the updates, Pages, Numbers and Keynote for iOS move to version 2.2.2, while Mac versions were bumped to 5.2.2 for Pages , 3.2.2 for Numbers and 6.2.2 for Keynote.

The last substantial iWork overhaul came in April when the app suite received multiple user interface tweaks and feature additions in an effort to build a more cohesive multi-platform experience. Later that month, an across-the-board update for iOS versions brought similar unspecified bug fixes and performance improvements seen in today's release.

While Pages, Numbers and Keynote have been Mac staples for many years, Apple first released its iWork for iOS in 2011 and has since expanded offerings into iCloud.

Apple's iWork updates can be downloaded for free from the iOS or Mac App Stores, as well as Software Update. Users who have recently purchased a new Mac -- or iOS device after Sept. 10, 2013 -- can grab the apps for free from their respective App Stores. Customers with older iPhone, iPad and iPod touch models need to shell out $9.99 per app, while those using older Macs can buy Pages, Numbers and Keynote for $19.99 each.

Update: Apple has also issued a small update for the Mac version of iMovie that brings iCloud compatibility improvements for iMovie Theater. The updated app can be downloaded or purchased for $14.99 from the Mac App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

iMovie, too.

• Reply 2 of 33
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I wish they would fix the bug in Preview that sometimes displays grayscale images in a pdf document as negative. I have not figured out what causes it because it only happens to some images. It might have something to do with the histogram balance of highlight shadow ratios, but it is really annoying. I have since quit using grayscale images inside of an otherwise full color document. I turn them into color images that just appear to be grayscale. The document previews fine in Acrobat and Chrome, just Safari and Preview mess it up.

• Reply 3 of 33

When I go to Software Update I'm offered updates for iMovie and Keynote, but not Pages or Numbers. Weird.

• Reply 4 of 33
    It would have been nice to have seen some old features added back in. However, it's also nice to see that Apple continues to maintain the iWork apps and not figure MS Office on the iOS is "good enough."
  • Reply 5 of 33
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

When I go to Software Update I'm offered updates for iMovie and Keynote, but not Pages or Numbers. Weird.

Thats what I had initially when I checked 30 minutes ago. Having just checked again now, I've got all iWork applications available for updating...

• Reply 6 of 33
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Looks like the App Store is getting slammed right now...

• Reply 7 of 33
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member

I don't want "minor bug fixes"... I want linked text boxes to be restored! The silence from Apple on this missing feature is deafening!

• Reply 8 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

I don't want "minor bug fixes"... I want linked text boxes to be restored! The silence from Apple on this missing feature is deafening!

"Pages -- Like Text Edit, but with pictures!"

• Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

Quote:

Thats what I had initially when I checked 30 minutes ago. Having just checked again now, I've got all iWork applications available for updating...

Yeah, me too now. Go figger.

• Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

Quote:

Yeah, me too now. Go figger.

Of course, being available isn't the same as "will install." iMovie went fine. Pages, Keynote and Numbers all went through the download/install process, but ended with the message "An error has occurred." How very helpful. No indication of WHAT went wrong or what I should do. Thanks, Apple.

"It just works. Except when it doesn't."

• Reply 11 of 33
    I'm not upgrading from the iWork 09 apps until they treat users seriously and give us back the useful features they got rid of. The new apps would be free for me, but I hardly think that's a good reason to swap my current pro level apps for Toytown candy floss.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    Quote:

ya, with 150 billion dollars in the bank, you would think Apple could afford to make its productivity suite better.  It makes me furious that Pages doesn't have paragraph numbering and you can't even do a hack with the list numbering because you can't left justify a list with the second line of text.  Trust me, it can't be done.  This stupid flaw in Pages means that lawyers can't use Pages.  If lawyers can't use Pages then corporate america can't use Pages.  Ridiculous.  

• Reply 13 of 33
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    coolfactor wrote: »

I suspect that this is all about getting ready for Yosemite with no intention of delivering new features.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Originally Posted by SwissMac2 View Post

I’m not upgrading from the iWork 09...

I just discovered a few days ago that a fair number of my documents haven’t been opened since before iWork ’09 was released, and therefore I hadn’t saved them in a more modern format.

Come to find out that their current format is somehow incompatible with the most modern iWork and that I’d have to open them in ’09 first before it could figure out what they are.

I don’t have any more machines with ’09. This isn’t exactly convenient. Nor does it make any sense at all. Pages should be Pages. How can it be so stupid that it doesn’t know what its own format is?

I remember when Pages first dropped CWK support, and that was a pain. Had to reinstall an older one, open all the files I could find, re-save them all, etc. I guess I have to do that again.

Anyway, I don’t agree with your reasoning, but there are certainly some important things they’ve yet to re-add. Effing worthless Internet-based version. This is why I said Apple doesn’t need to have an iCloud-based iWork suite. It only benefits Windows users to the detriment of us.

• Reply 15 of 33
    Quote:

This. Of all the features they removed, this is the one I cannot live without. Until this feature returns, I have to continue using iWork '09, or InDesign (which is overkill for about 90% of the work I do, and I'm not nearly as quick using it as I am in Pages).

• Reply 16 of 33
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Most of the work in the new Pages require more clicks, eg applying styles to your document. In the previous version I could simply select one from a side pane, whereas the new version requires me to select one from a drop down.
    The applying / updating styles got weird and unclear. Sometimes the ability to update a style is greyed out because your selection doesn't cover the entire 'range' of the style you're trying to update. This wasn't a problem in Pages '09.

Emailing a PDF is gone; you now need to go to the print dialog and 'print to PDF'. Why did they remove such an often used feature from the main menu?

Bullet lists suck because they are handled in 2 dropdowns... I can't seem to create a style that covers bullet lists so I can simply apply the same style to all elements.
    Again the stupid dropdowns.

Inserting images is annoying because their default setting is the most annoying one ever. When typing documents the default setting should be that it flows with the content and text should flow around it. If this is just me, at least let me set the default behavior myself
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Most of the work in the new Pages require more clicks, eg applying styles to your document. 

True - I also miss the inspector panels and often refer to them as one of the reasons Keynote was so much better than PowerPoint. Because I could have multiple inspectors open, I could create animations and rich slides with far less clicks than I could in PowerPoint (because of the need to open and close so many separate dialog boxes to get the same thing done).

I once had to collaborate with some colleagues on a presentation and was forced to use PP. I compared the experience as if I suddenly had my hands tied behind my back and was typing with my nose. It was that painful. The new iWork panels feel that way to me as well, although I suspect I will get used to them over time.

• Reply 18 of 33
    ash471 wrote: »
    ya, with 150 billion dollars in the bank, you would think Apple could afford to make its productivity suite better.  It makes me furious that Pages doesn't have paragraph numbering and you can't even do a hack with the list numbering because you can't left justify a list with the second line of text.  Trust me, it can't be done.  This stupid flaw in Pages means that lawyers can't use Pages.  If lawyers can't use Pages then corporate america can't use Pages.  Ridiculous.  

I have got entire documents with numbered paragraphs using numbered lists. Works fine.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 230member
    Quote:

It makes me furious that Pages doesn't have paragraph numbering... 

I've just had a quick play with Pages via iCloud and paragraph numbering (via Bullets and Lists) appears to be pretty good. It provides simple numbering as well as the Harvard numbering style. Used in conjunction with the indent buttons it seems to work a treat.

• Reply 20 of 33
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    mstone wrote: »
    I wish they would fix the bug in Preview that sometimes displays grayscale images in a pdf document as negative. I have not figured out what causes it because it only happens to some images. It might have something to do with the histogram balance of highlight shadow ratios, but it is really annoying. I have since quit using grayscale images inside of an otherwise full color document. I turn them into color images that just appear to be grayscale. The document previews fine in Acrobat and Chrome, just Safari and Preview mess it up.

I'm assuming here that you're creating your PDFs using Adobe InDesign or Illustrator(?) and as CMYK?

This bug has been present for a long time in Preview. I've always maintained it's due to the way Adobe allows true grayscale images (or even colorized TIFs from Illustrator) in either CMYK or RGB documents. Where as Preview doesn't expect this behavior, and defaults to a simple CMYK -> RGB (screen render) without knowing what to do with black and white.

It caused me great pains for my packaging clients since they created/printed mostly 2 or 3 spot-color jobs. It made QuickView rather useless too.

The only 2 workarounds I was able to find were: a) use Acrobat Pro, flatten and convert to RGB, then export a new PDF; or if that failed (who knows why?) render an RGB JPEG export for mail.

Even though the "printed page" is dying... it still would be nice if Apple found the time to fix this OR Adobe decided to do this within the Export/Save As dialog. "Convert Grayscale to destination profile" as an example.

Edited: I just remembered that most often when "problems" arose, it was when grayscale images were placed with an embedded profile and/or placed on top of a colored background. Just FYI.