While 91% of Apple users run iOS 7, five different versions of Android hold 10%+ share

1468910

Comments

  • Reply 101 of 184
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,438member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    The miserable operating system known as Android is only getting worse and worse.

    Only around a fifth of Android users are on the latest version. In 2013, about a third of Android users were on the latest version. It's actually going down!

    That figure is actually going down as more and more poor people are flocking to Android as Android continues to be adopted by certain users in very poor countries, also known as "developing" countries, or basically the third world, as I prefer to call it. And for those who are offended my by factual statement, I will of course provide proof for these ignorant people.

    OpenSignal’s data indicates that over a third (35 percent) of Android devices in countries with GDP/capita of greater than $20,000 are on the latest version of Android vs just 12 percent in less economically developed countries.

    [chart]

    Android fragmentation or diversity as some like to call it, is just absolutely out of control and totally disgusting!

    Who says that diversity is a good thing? Well, Apple does for starters, but I don't think that this is what they have in mind when Apple speaks of diversity.

    Here is proof that diversity is a terrible thing.

    This chart is just unbelievable!

    [chart]

    18,796 unique Android devices! Holy f-ucking crap! What a goddam mess!

    http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/21/opensignal-2014-android-ecosystem-report/



    When comparing Android to iOS, I think we need to look at what each OS is designed for, phone-wise. If we make a comparison between iOS for the iPhone and want to compare it with Android devices, we should only look at the nexus, made by Google. Not the ones from 3rd party HW makers who need to tailer the Android software to each specific device, which many don't.

    While it’s nice to see your enthusiasm here, I think you are not fully informed. I’m sure [@]Gatorguy[/@] can explain this better to you than I can, but it’s not the latest version of the OS itself that is important since most security issues are now being updated within the apps themselves. Google Play Services
    Although it acts as a system-level process, it can automatically be updated through Google Play Store, and is automatically installed on any Android device that runs Android 2.2 or higher. As a result, Google can update certain aspects of Android independently of the operating system itself, combating the "fragmentation" and inconsistent availability of new OS versions on certain devices, an issue that the platform had become infamous for.

    Security is one reason to upgrade a device, features is another. And while many features are embedded into ‘the latest version’ of an OS, many features can be added to older versions of Android as well, probably because of the open nature of it.

    Google provides major upgrades every six to nine months. That’s more frequent than Apple.

    You really ought to read this piece, and then draw your own conclusion:

    http://www.androidcentral.com/android-fragmentation-seemingly-impossible-conversation

    The meaning of 'fragmentation' tends to mold to whatever the argument is, for good or bad

    I'm sick of it, you're sick of it, everyone who knows much of anything about Android is sick of it. "Fragmentation" is a word that gets bandied about when it comes to Android more frequently than just about anything else. It turns out that an open source operating system installed on devices made by hundreds of manufacturers all over the world, many of which don't really care whether Google releases an update, creates an unstable ecosystem.

    Who knew.

    We all know the answer we want to see in response to suggestions that Android is too fragmented to be functionally compared to other platforms in the world today. It took a little while, but Google came up with an Answer. The almighty Google Play Services, a suite of apps and tools that glue multiple versions of Android together into a mostly similar experience that any manufacturer can have access to. All those manufacturers have to do is agree to play nice in Google's sandbox, and basically do whatever Google says.

    And Google says that 93% of all Android devices that they monitor are using the most recent version of Google Play Services, which means even if those devices aren't using the most recent version of Android they have access to almost all of the new features Google has announced within the last year. And 93% isn't bad at all, right?


    Of course number are difficult to relate to as there are so many devices using the Android platform while we here are merely speaking about phones. Well, I am. And some dipAndroidStick4TV should not count here.

    There are also things like this, that makes running the latest version not necessary:
    Android Verify Apps feature, which will now run in background to detect malicious processes
    http://www.gadgetcluster.com/2014/04/google-goes-hard-on-malware-for-android-platform/
    Note that The Android apps verify feature is available on all android operating systems from android 2.2 and above.

    Here’s an article on fragmentation:
    http://opensignal.com/reports/2014/android-fragmentation/

    Here’s a list with devices running 4.4:
    http://www.androidkitkat.org/android-kitkat-devices/

    Finally, if iOS7 is installed on ? 92% of Apple iPhones (/devices?) than Google is doing much better: ? 98% on all Nexus phones run the latest version of Android. Note that it isn’t only the latest major version, it’s running 4.4.4 where Apple doesn’t release the number of iOS users that are on 7.1; they only state iOS7 which therefore includes 7.0. When talking about numbers, it needs to be exact when the exact numbers can be found.

    As for Android itself, I think it sucks on many levels. Supposedly it has taken them no less than 6 years to finally make ebooks full screen, a feature that came with KitKat (4.4, from Oct 31, 2013) That is pathetic slow, and strange to not have it work in full screen from day one. But I digress, was merely responding to the fragmentation. Which I think is way less of an issue as you are describing it.
  • Reply 102 of 184
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,438member
    lloydbm4 wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    What is the advantage for the user? Are these updates by Google, meaning the user doesn't have to wait for their telco to release an update? Tnx
    Nexus devices are updatable via Google. No need to wait on any manufacturer or carrier (just like with Apple). ANd starting in Q1 of 2015 the new Google devices codenamed 'One' (lower end phones) and 'Silver' (high end phones) will get updated by Google as well.

    Google Play Edition phones are updatable by the manufacturer, but independant of any carriers. Slightly slower than Nexus devices in getting updates, but still get them fairly quickly (usually within days to a few weeks of Google releasing the factory images.) 

    Google recognizes that carriers and OEM's can be slow at updating (if at all) and they want to give users more options than just Nexus devices for those users that want updates quickly, but on more than just 1 or 2 pieces of hardware. 

    That's what I understand from it all. And it only makes sense to compare the Nexus to the iPhone and they are each made by the same company doing the SW, hence my reply to Apple ][.

    I think that "Silver" phone from Google is going to be liked by many.
  • Reply 103 of 184
    apple ][ wrote: »
    doggone wrote: »
    So the moral is that iPhones have longer lives than android phones and can be upgrade with ease. Clearly that is not true for android units.

    That is true. Many Android phones are basically obsolete as soon as people buy them and they are walking out of the store with them. Certain Android phones that were promised updates by the manufacturers never, ever received them. They were basically abandoned by the manufacturers, as they basically said "screw you!" to the uninformed users and poor bastards who bought those phones.

    If we are to convert phone life into human life, then let's say that an average iOS device lives to about 80. In Android land, the average life span is probably around 40. Who wants to die when they're 40 years old? Android users apparently don't mind. Some don't even make it into their teens, and in the worst cases, they die a quick crib death.

    I love your analogies! Your forthright language is an example to us all. ????
  • Reply 104 of 184
    deepen03 wrote: »
    85.7 PERCENT OF ANDROID USERS ARE ON 4.0 OR UP! Nice click bait article!

    85.7% OF ANDROID USERS ARE ON AN OS THAT IS THREE YEARS OLD! WELL POINTED OUT!
  • Reply 105 of 184
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by Lloydbm4 View Post

    I'll never understand why this concerns the I faithful so much? Seriously, is it just to make yourselves feel better about being on "Team Apple"? 

     

    Yes, you don’t comprehend the discussion.

     

    We get it, you don't like Google. But good gawd, give it a rest. You make it seem like a phone won't work anymore because it is running an older version of the platform.


     

    It WON’T work anymore. It WON’T run the newest apps, it WON’T get the newest features it WON’T be able to do the same things that the rest of the ecosystem can do (or, rather, can’t), it WON’T be compatible with your friends’/coworkers’/clients’ devices.

     

    News flash, if this is a big concern for the buyer, they have options with Android.


     

    That’s great! You have the option to spend $400 to buy a new phone instead of being able to update your software for free. That’s sure to win them some new users!¡ 

     

    They can buy a Nexus device or they can buy a Google Play Edition phone.


     

    *12 page disclaimer on incompatible software

  • Reply 106 of 184
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

     

     

    Yes, you don’t comprehend the discussion.

     

    It WON’T work anymore. It WON’T run the newest apps, it WON’T get the newest features it WON’T be able to do the same things that the rest of the ecosystem can do (or, rather, can’t), it WON’T be compatible with your friends’/coworkers’/clients’ devices.

     

    That’s great! You have the option to spend $400 to buy a new phone instead of being able to update your software for free. That’s sure to win them some new users!¡ 

     

    *12 page disclaimer on incompatible software


    The phone won't work anymore? Seriously, you can't be that stupid. Can you? Just because a phone fails to get an update, does it magically shut down? You must be used to Apple updates and having to plug into iTunes. 

     

    It won't get the newest features without the latest OS update? You mean like when the iPhone 4 couldn't get Siri? Or that my 4th gen iPod can't get past iOS6? Ironically, Google Apps are independent of the OS now and update nearly every week. How long does it take to get a single core App updated on iOS? Months? Year? Never? Apple's Keyboard comes to mind. 

     

    And while I applaud your inability to comprehend the basic fact that if you want updates immediately, a buyer will likely research his phone ahead of time and buy one that updates immediately (like a Nexus) vs buying some POS phone from AT&T. So, no he doesn't have to spend another $400 buying another phone to get updates, as he gets those updates for free. Does the Nexus line of phones perplex you that much?

     

    *1 line disclaimer: Maybe you should learn a little something about how Android works before opening your mouth and spewing forth pure shite!

  • Reply 107 of 184
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by Lloydbm4 View Post

    The phone won't work anymore? Seriously, you can't be that stupid. Can you? Just because a phone fails to get an update, does it magically shut down?

     

    Learn how to read, please.

     

    It won't get the newest features without the latest OS update? You mean like when the iPhone 4 couldn't get Siri? Or that my 4th gen iPod can't get past iOS6?


     

    This is a really pathetic attempt at trolling, you know.

     
     Ironically, Google Apps are independent of the OS now and update nearly every week.

     

    Yeah, I’m sure that’s a situation people are happy about¡ Google becoming the new Microsoft; great going¡

     

    How long does it take to get a single core App updated on iOS? Months? Year? Never? Apple's Keyboard comes to mind. 


     

    If you’re so braindead that you think a keyboard is an app, how braindead must you be to think that we’ll believe you’re NOT trolling?

     
    And while I applaud your inability to comprehend the basic fact that if you want updates immediately, a buyer will likely research his phone ahead of time and buy one that updates immediately (like a Nexus) vs buying some POS phone from AT&T.

     

    90% of Android users prove that “a buyer” will not do this. Come off it, boyo.

     

    Does the Nexus line of phones perplex you that much?


     

    The fact that no one’s buying them, favoring the other models, pretty much destroys your “argument”.

     
    *1 line disclaimer: Maybe you should learn a little something about how Android works before opening your mouth and spewing forth pure shite!

     

    This is so stupid it isn’t even funny. I want it to be funny, but it’s so detached from reality.

  • Reply 108 of 184
    Learn how to read, please.

    This is a really pathetic attempt at trolling, you know.

    Yeah, I’m sure that’s a situation people are happy about¡ Google becoming the new Microsoft; great going¡

    If you’re so braindead that you think a keyboard is an app, how braindead must you be to think that we’ll believe you’re NOT trolling?

    90% of Android users prove that “a buyer” will not do this. Come off it, boyo.

    The fact that no one’s buying them, favoring the other models, pretty much destroys your “argument”.

    This is so stupid it isn’t even funny. I want it to be funny, but it’s so detached from reality.
    Amazing. So not only have you proven you know absolutely zero about Android, you've just proven you know little to nothing about iOS. And someone has given you a title of Moderator? Jesus, this website must be desperate!

    No wonder people call this website a joke. I understand why now. You are likely the single reason. Great job.
  • Reply 109 of 184
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by Lloydbm4 View Post

    Amazing. So not only have you proven you know absolutely zero about Android, you've just proven you know little to nothing about iOS. And someone has given you a title of Moderator? Jesus, this website must be desperate!



    No wonder people call this website a joke. I understand why now. You are likely the single reason. Great job.

     

    Thanks for confirming that you’re a troll. I could have seen a few people giving you the benefit of the doubt earlier, but no longer.

  • Reply 110 of 184
    Thanks for confirming that you’re a troll. I could have seen a few people giving you the benefit of the doubt earlier, but no longer.
    LOL. Yep, the 'go to' defense. Call a person a troll if the expose your ignorance or disagree with you. Very 'moderator'-like of you.
    Once again though, you have proven why this website (which was once great), is now the butt of so many jokes. You are singly to blame. And again, great job! You should be proud of yourself.
  • Reply 111 of 184
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    lloydbm4 wrote: »
    The phone won't work anymore? Seriously, you can't be that stupid. Can you? Just because a phone fails to get an update, does it magically shut down? You must be used to Apple updates and having to plug into iTunes. 

    It won't get the newest features without the latest OS update? You mean like when the iPhone 4 couldn't get Siri? Or that my 4th gen iPod can't get past iOS6? Ironically, Google Apps are independent of the OS now and update nearly every week. How long does it take to get a single core App updated on iOS? Months? Year? Never? Apple's Keyboard comes to mind. 

    And while I applaud your inability to comprehend the basic fact that if you want updates immediately, a buyer will likely research his phone ahead of time and buy one that updates immediately (like a Nexus) vs buying some POS phone from AT&T. So, no he doesn't have to spend another $400 buying another phone to get updates, as he gets those updates for free. Does the Nexus line of phones perplex you that much?

    *1 line disclaimer: Maybe you should learn a little something about how Android works before opening your mouth and spewing forth pure shite!

    1) Cool it with the personal attacks.

    2) I keep hearing this crap about the Google Play Services solving their OS problem. For starters, it should never have been a problem. Second, it's putting the APIs outside the OS. That's brilliant¡ Third, the OS still not updated which means any insecurities in the OS are still present. Finally, this move is about Google being able to regain some of the control it lost. None of these are things users should be applauding.

    3) And how secure are those third party keyboards for Android?

    lloydbm4 wrote: »
    You are likely the single reason. Great job.

    1) Again, cool it with the personal attacks. If you want to debate a point he's made then do so (just as he shouldn't be calling you a troll, but you've already claimed to be the bigger man here why don't you start).

    2) If it's a joke then why are you posting?

    lloydbm4 wrote: »
    Once again though, you have proven why this website (which was once great), is now the butt of so many jokes. You are singly to blame. And again, great job! You should be proud of yourself.

    OK, not just a joke as in inadequate, but the actual butt, or punchline, of jokes. What are these jokes? Please, regale us with your humour.
  • Reply 112 of 184
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Originally Posted by Lloydbm4 View Post

    LOL. Yep, the 'go to' defense. Call a person a troll if the expose your ignorance or disagree with you. Very 'moderator'-like of you.

    Once again though, you have proven why this website (which was once great), is now the butt of so many jokes. You are singly to blame. And again, great job! You should be proud of yourself.



    I’ve already refuted everything you’ve said. You refused to acknowledge said refutations and continued to spew lies. That’s trolling. Not just in my book, but in THE book.

     

    Explain why 90% of Android users are too stupid to do what you say is obvious. Why don’t they “do their research” before buying? Why don’t they just buy brand new phones when theirs don’t receive software updates?

     

    Again, Android is hopelessly fragmented, both in hardware and software. You have no assurance of compatibility with app features, nor of apps themselves.

  • Reply 113 of 184
    well, it doesn't matter how many people use the most recent version of mobile OS. android is still used by majority of people. it says 90% in the world. iOS is barely catching 10%.
  • Reply 114 of 184
    archurban wrote: »
    well, it doesn't matter how many people use the most recent version of mobile OS. android is still used by majority of people. it says 90% in the world. iOS is barely catching 10%.

    Wait... so a mobile OS that is available on 19,000 different devices from over 100 manufacturers has more users?

    No sh!t Sherlock...
  • Reply 115 of 184
    chiachia Posts: 696member

    Originally Posted by archurban View Post



    well, it doesn't matter how many people use the most recent version of mobile OS. android is still used by majority of people. it says 90% in the world. iOS is barely catching 10%.

     

    The majority of people in the world don't have a flush toilet.

    The fact more people use Android doesn't mean it's a better OS than iOS or others.

  • Reply 116 of 184
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,453member
    chia wrote: »
    The majority of people in the world don't have a flush toilet.
    The fact more people use Android doesn't mean it's a better OS than iOS or others.

    But it does mean it's way more adaptable than other mobile OS'es. Setting aside the flame wars for a moment I think it's incredible how useful and widespread Android has become, and all in less than 6 years! Medical systems, sound and media devices, tablets and smartphones, security systems, robotics, defense. . .

    I doubt Google, much less anyone else, could have anticipated how successful the OS would be. That there's 1000's of devices depending on it today is a testament to its vibrancy.
  • Reply 117 of 184
    chiachia Posts: 696member

    Originally Posted by Lloydbm4 View Post



    You make it seem like a phone won't work anymore because it is running an older version of the platform.



     




    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

    So what's the actual problem with all this fragmentation?  Where are the complaints from Android users?

     

     

    You say low-end Android phones are like feature phones and can't take advantage of the latest OS changes.  So?  If that's how people are using the phones, then what's wrong with that.  They aren't demanding powerful apps or new features.

     

    You say the low-end Android phones are like paperweights to the platform, then also say that support is dropped quickly.  How are they paperweights then, if support is dropped quickly?  Software updates on phones is still quite a new thing, and some people might not care.

    Plus, as is often mentioned, Google Play Services is updateable on older versions of Google's Android, and provides updates to the developer API without needing to update Android.


     

    Actually, this is my exact experience with the budget Sony Xperia tipo.

    Bought it for 90 pounds in 2012 with 4.0.3 ice cream sandwich.

    It can't be updated to KitKat, no updates forthcoming from Sony.

    Loads of apps preinstalled which eat precious memory and can't be removed:

    eBay, Facebook, Amazon Music player etc.

    Not only can't they be removed but their updates eat into the memory as well.

     

    Google Play Services also being updated, again eating into the phone memory.

     

    Now the phone is telling me it's running out of space to store SMS messages reducing its functionality to below that of a feature phone. I'm having to uninstall apps which can be removed just to maintain memory.

     

    It's a second phone, I'm so glad I have an iPhone 5  as my main phone.

    Definitely won't get another Sony Android phone from this experience.

     

    I can see from this experience the Google Play Services updates is a sticking plaster to the fundamental Android problem of being unable to officially update the phone OS.

    It's a disaster waiting to happen but good for Apple in the long run.

     

     

    Some analysts don't realise that Apple doesn't need a low end phone because the unsatisfactory experience from low end Android is a gateway to the quality iOS experience.

     

    It may even be the reason why high end Android sales suffer.  When non-tech people have a poor experience in Android, I doubt they think it's because they bought a slow phone; they think this phone uses Android and is poor, maybe i should try an iPhone, or a Nokia or Blackberry instead.  They will hesitate to spend even more money on a high end device using the same Android system that gave them problems.

     

    This is very bad news for Google in the long run, the high-end Android makers are likely to jump ship into Windows mobile or Tizen, leaving Android on the cheap Chinese handsets and the many Android forks, most of which won't generate revenue for Google.

  • Reply 118 of 184
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,438member
    chia wrote: »
    The majority of people in the world don't have a flush toilet.
    The fact more people use Android doesn't mean it's a better OS than iOS or others.

    LMAO (and can flush it, too)

    gatorguy wrote: »
    I think it's incredible how useful and widespread Android has become, and all in less than 6 years!

    Learned from the best.

    Best.
  • Reply 119 of 184
    chiachia Posts: 696member
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
    But it does mean it's way more adaptable than other mobile OS'es. Setting aside the flame wars for a moment I think it's incredible how useful and widespread Android has become, and all in less than 6 years! Medical systems, sound and media devices, tablets and smartphones, security systems, robotics, defense. . .



    I doubt Google, much less anyone else, could have anticipated how successful the OS would be. That there's 1000's of devices depending on it today is a testament to its vibrancy.

     

    Defense and Medical Systems running on Android???!!!

    I'd be weary to the extreme of such systems, is there even a version of Android certified and indemnified for safety-critical use?

     

    I fail to comprehend what advantage Android brings to such systems over the already established OSes with a proven record such as the various Linux and Unix systems, QNX or even Windows Server.

  • Reply 120 of 184
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,453member
    chia wrote: »
    This is very bad news for Google in the long run, the high-end Android makers are likely to jump ship into Windows mobile or Tizen, leaving Android on the cheap Chinese handsets and the many Android forks, most of which won't generate revenue for Google.
    I realize you and others are rooting for Tizen to destroy Android but IMHO it's a dead end wish. Even Sammy can't make Tizen a success.
Sign In or Register to comment.