Rumor: TSMC, Apple working on 16nm FinFET process for 'A9' chips

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fly75 View Post

Didn't say they were.

You asked why "China" wasn't used in the article rather than "Republic of China". Certainly would have been less confusing for you if "Taiwan" was used instead of "Republic of China".

Most people associate China with the communist state located on the Asian mainland that refers to itself as the "People's Republic of China", and use Taiwan to refer to the geopolitical state that refers to itself as the "Republic of China".

Last time I was in Taiwan (passing through) they were extremely offended that a member of my party attempted to buy something with RMB.

• Reply 22 of 31
    fly75fly75 Posts: 6member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Last time I was in Taiwan (passing through) they were extremely offended that a member of my party attempted to buy something with RMB.

Last time I was in Charleston SC they wouldn't take a $5 bill unless Lincoln was face down.

Losers of civil wars can be like that, you know. Or apparently don't know.

• Reply 23 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by sessamoid View Post

What are you talking about? The term "the Far East" was not used in this story even once.

Also, I seriously doubt more than a minuscule minority of the readers here would recognize the name of the city where TSMC is headquartered, so that would actually hurt the readability of the article. 

What's juvenile is your complaining.

AI just can't win. Several people complained about their standard naming of "sources in the Far East," so they recently switched to "Republic of China" for Taiwan. Of course they were assuming a knowledge of history and political geography among the readership, or maybe it was a matter of "ok, we'll show you, you nitpickers . . . "

Does anyone in the West still use "ROC" instead of "Taiwan"?

Too be honest, I wan't aware of the acronym 'ROC.' Does Nicolas Cage live there?

• Reply 24 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

Given they voted in the KMT it appears that most people don't want to change that.  2016 folks will see if that changes.

Yes. But it does't matter who wins, some will still want to change away from ROC.

• Reply 25 of 31
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    "The Republic of China"...also previously repeatedly called "the Far East"?

Is it that difficult to just write "China" or give the specific city? So much fluff and story padding is just juvenile.

First of all, "The Republic of China" is not China, but Taiwan. China is "The People's Republic Of China", or PRC. The author obviously used this term instead of using Taiwan twice right next to each other in the same sentence. Next geography lesson, the Far East refers to the entire region of China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, North and South Korea, South East Asia, Japan., etc. Basically where the overwhelming majority of electronics manufacturing and assembly takes place for the entire world. So is used as a general term when referring to the entire region. Which in the case of Apple products is most accurate as almost all the major countries in that mix supply some parts or services for their products. And specifically, when used to identify sources of information, is perfectly appropriate as it implies someone close to the supply chain, versus, for example, some hack analyst here in the US. Lesson over.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

First of all, "The Republic of China" is not China, but Taiwan.

Well, they call themselves China. That pretty much makes them China.

Just like Ukraine is Ukraine because they say so, not “The Ukraine”.

• Reply 27 of 31
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    I think the Taiwanese people would take issue with any suggestion they are a part of China.

Seriously? Wow! You must have failed both geography and history! As an expat living in China, living directly across from Taiwan, and having met and worked with many Taiwanese, I can assure you they most certainly do consider themselves Chinese, and part of China, or they wouldn't call themselves The Republic of China. They just don't consider themselves part of the communist regime. Further, there are now millions of Taiwanese working on the mainland, and millions more who wish they could, as the mainland offers the best job opportunities. The corrupt political system and concentration of wealth in the hands of a few found in Taiwan has actually held back Taiwan's economic development. Whereas successful Taiwanese companies have moved and or grown significant portions of their operations on the mainland. Economically, they are joined at the hip.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

1. Samsung decide to skip volume production of 20nm and went straight to 14nm ( What TSMC called 16nm ).

2. Initial projection of Samsung 14nm was supposed to be better then TSMC 16nm, hence TSMC has a new node in dev called 16nm+.

3. Apple may have decided on Samsung's 14nm last year, given the much favorable pricing rumored Samsung are giving them.  

4. However Samsung 14nm has yield and performance issues and is likely not meet Apple's target and requirement in time.

5. On the other side collaboration between Apple and TSMC has reached new height, on the new 16nm+, and rumored is 16nm+ is moving faster then expected.

Basically the story is Apple wanted 16/14nm for its next next generation of SoC. And will Fab it with whoever gets there first.

• Reply 29 of 31
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    Parochial Americans are better served when they wander away from years of Cold War ideology and pay attention to local politics in other countries. For example, the US spent decades telling us the Kuomintang was ready to invade and free the Mainland.

Not only absurd; but, that party now is the leading voice to reunite as a great business deal.

Or you can keep on dulling your brain with the dross issued by both Murdoch and Obama.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    freerange wrote: »
    Seriously? Wow! You must have failed both geography and history! As an expat living in China, living directly across from Taiwan, and having met and worked with many Taiwanese, I can assure you they most certainly do consider themselves Chinese, and part of China, or they wouldn't call themselves The Republic of China. They just don't consider themselves part of the communist regime. Further, there are now millions of Taiwanese working on the mainland, and millions more who wish they could, as the mainland offers the best job opportunities. The corrupt political system and concentration of wealth in the hands of a few found in Taiwan has actually held back Taiwan's economic development. Whereas successful Taiwanese companies have moved and or grown significant portions of their operations on the mainland. Economically, they are joined at the hip.

Interesting. So TSMC is something of an exception? How is it viewed locally? Serious questions. It's fascinating to me that Taiwan has chip fabrication that is competitive with Samsung.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

The corrupt political system and concentration of wealth in the hands of a few found in Taiwan 

And this is different in the PRC how?

Quote:

has actually held back Taiwan's economic development.  

No.  Taiwan's growth period was between 1960s and 1990s as one of the four Asian Tigers (HK, Singapore, SK and Taiwan).  They had very high growth rates sustained for decades.  All four are currently advanced economies with much slower growth opportunities because they are developed.

The PRC's growth is occurring now and not because of they are any less corrupt or has lower wealth disparity.

Taiwan's Gini coefficient is 0.342 vs China's 0.477 in 2011.  0.4 is the predictor level for social unrest.  Of course the PRC is unafraid to call out the PAP and the PLA if necessary but the great worry I would think among the leadership is another cultural revolution should an economic downturn occur.  Like one precipitated by the popping of the housing balloon. 

As an expat you are somewhat shielded from these events.  Around here there's a bunch of fairly rich Chinese (multi millionaires in USD terms) that have parked their families in the US living the upper middle class lifestyle (vs luxurious in China) because if the SHTF they only need to worry about one airplane ticket out of dodge.