Known iOS auto-call feature sparks concerns about unintended dialings

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    mstone wrote: »

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/181966/known-ios-auto-call-feature-sparks-concerns-about-unintended-dialings/0_100#post_2584350 layout=inline]I must be doing something right to engender such a heartfelt response from you. ????[/CONTENTEMBED]
    Okay if heartfelt means not beating you with a cricket bat, fine, but I consider myself to be repulsed by you. You don't get that? 

Yes; that's why I said that I must be doing something right. ????
  • Reply 42 of 66
    Using code seems like a lot of trouble to make the phone dial...  

After iOS 8 has wide release I could just put out a radio advert during rush hour/drive time that says, 
     'Hey Siri, dial 1900 xxx-xxx.'  

Could probably throw in... 'Ok Google, dial 1900 xxx-xxx' for good measure.

That or maybe a late night TV ad for those who leave their phone charging in the living room and fall asleep with the TV running.

Ok, so I wouldn't do that.  But how cheeky will it be for a radio DJ on Mother's day to broadcast, 'Hey Siri, call Mom.'  

Unfortunately, very unfortunately, Apple may need to have a (non-voice) confirmation for Siri to complete dialing.  :(

Yeah, I know. I only have a problem not a solution. 

You obviously haven't used Siri, as it isn't possible to activate it by saying, "Hey, Siri."

You've been watching too many Glasshole videos.
  • Reply 43 of 66

Benjamin, you haven't checked your facts;

I said iOS 8 and I gave examples of two situations where many users would have their phone plugged in to power.  

Granted, in the car situation I didn't explicitly state that the car driver would have their phone plugged in but those who know of the feature can draw that conclusion. 

iOS 8 : Settings > General > Siri > Voice Activation: 'You can speak to Siri without pressing the home button by saying, "Hey Siri" when connected to power.

Edit: Benjamin, YOU know of this feature already. You commented on the AppleInsider article that talks of this feature: 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/06/03/new-settings-in-ios-8-auto-delete-texts-camera-privacy-controls-hey-siri-voice-activation

• Reply 44 of 66
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Yes; that's why I said that I must be doing something right. ????

You know there was a famous American songwriter who died probably long before you were born who wrote the lyrics "His brain is squirming like a toad". This describes you perfectly. You are a menace to society.

• Reply 45 of 66
    You can go to that webpage and test it. It is actually doing what it demonstrates.

http://box.algorithm.dk/ios/02.html

When I test it, it asks me if I want to call.
    It doesn't automatically call like the author states.

• Reply 46 of 66
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

[image]

Are you using iOS 8?
  • Reply 47 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HammerofTruth View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You can go to that webpage and test it. It is actually doing what it demonstrates.

http://box.algorithm.dk/ios/02.html

(image)

As it should. That is because Mobile Safari is programmed to handle the URL properly. Any other http client will execute the command without a verification prompt. If you try it with a desktop browser you will see that the behavior is different. It will put the bogus URL in the location field. You can then back up and examine the script.

• Reply 48 of 66
    As it should. That is because Mobile Safari is programmed to handle the URL properly. Any other http client will execute the command without a verification prompt. If you try it with a desktop browser you will see that the behavior is different. It will put the bogus URL in the location field. You can then back up and examine the script.

Tried it with a 3rd party browser and it dialed without any further interaction by me. Tried it with the messages app and it opened safari and prompted me to call.

Interesting. Glad I don't use other apps for urls.
  • Reply 49 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by HammerofTruth View Post

Tried it with a 3rd party browser and it dialed without any further interaction by me. Tried it with the messages app and it opened safari and prompted me to call.

Interesting. Glad I don't use other apps for urls.

Welcome to wonders of Javascript.

• Reply 50 of 66
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Douglas Bailey View Post

Using code seems like a lot of trouble to make the phone dial...

After iOS 8 has wide release I could just put out a radio advert during rush hour/drive time that says,

'Hey Siri, dial 1900 xxx-xxx.'

Could probably throw in... 'Ok Google, dial 1900 xxx-xxx' for good measure.

That or maybe a late night TV ad for those who leave their phone charging in the living room and fall asleep with the TV running.

Ok, so I wouldn't do that.  But how cheeky will it be for a radio DJ on Mother's day to broadcast, 'Hey Siri, call Mom.'

Unfortunately, very unfortunately, Apple may need to have a (non-voice) confirmation for Siri to complete dialing.  :(

Yeah, I know. I only have a problem not a solution.

Best solution is to make the "Hey Siri" command customisable, so I can change it to "Hey butthead".  That would make me happy.

I guess they could also try to make it voice sensitive, but that sounds complicated.

• Reply 51 of 66

You're tapping it the wrong way.

• Reply 52 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Best solution is to make the "Hey Siri" command customisable, so I can change it to "Hey butthead".

Simple but effective. That solution is brilliant and I hope it's the way Apple goes. I agree that making it tuned to each users individual voice would be overly complicated.

Being able to set your own activation phrase would also get around this problem I've been having. Siri, in the car is listening in on my audiobooks and 50% of the time she responds when one particular narrator says, 'I say.'   - Strange but true (and a bit annoying).

• Reply 53 of 66

Also, I don't know about you guys, but in my household we often have 2 or more iPhones charging pretty close by each other, so having them all respond to "Hey Siri" at the same time would be a nuisance.

If they responded to different key phrases then there would be no issues.

"Klaatu barada nikto!"

"bee boop"

"Execute Order 66"

"bee boop"

"Berwip crawna-wi pinibon"

"bee boop"

• Reply 54 of 66
    crowley wrote: »

Best solution is to make the "Hey Siri" command customisable, so I can change it to "Hey butthead".  That would make me happy.

It doesn't surprise me that 'Hey butthead' is the kind of greeting you would prefer; gratuitously insulting strangers is clearly something you have much experience in, to judge from your posts on AI.
  • Reply 55 of 66
  • Reply 56 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

It doesn't surprise me that 'Hey butthead' is the kind of greeting you would prefer; gratuitously insulting strangers is clearly something you have much experience in, to judge from your posts on AI.

Take a look in the mirror troll, and stop this campaign of harassing everyone who you've ever clashed with.  For the record, it's just a Back To The Future reference.

Now shut up.

• Reply 57 of 66

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/181966/known-ios-auto-call-feature-sparks-concerns-about-unintended-dialings/0_100#post_2584373 layout=inline]Yes; that's why I said that I must be doing something right. ????[/CONTENTEMBED]
    You know there was a famous American songwriter who died probably long before you were born who wrote the lyrics "His brain is squirming like a toad". This describes you perfectly. You are a menace to society.

Coming from someone who threatens a poster with smashing his head repeatedly with a cricket bat, that's rich.

Your idea of society appears to be one of anarchy, in which thugs run riot. Perhaps you should move to Ferguson; you'd like it there. ????
  • Reply 58 of 66
    Benjamin, you haven't checked your facts;

I said iOS 8 and I gave examples of two situations where many users would have their phone plugged in to power.  

Granted, in the car situation I didn't explicitly state that the car driver would have their phone plugged in but those who know of the feature can draw that conclusion. 

iOS 8 : Settings > General > Siri > Voice Activation: 'You can speak to Siri without pressing the home button by saying, "Hey Siri" when connected to power.

Edit: Benjamin, YOU know of this feature already. You commented on the AppleInsider article that talks of this feature: 
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/06/03/new-settings-in-ios-8-auto-delete-texts-camera-privacy-controls-hey-siri-voice-activation

Ah, ok. I don't have iOS 8, so had forgotten about that feature coming this autumn.

I agree with crowley—it would be useful to be able to customise the greeting. 'Hey, Siri' is kinda rude.
  • Reply 59 of 66

Stop it.  Now.  You aren't contributing positively to anything.  Just shut up.

• Reply 60 of 66
    crowley wrote: »
    Stop it.  Now.  You aren't contributing positively to anything.  Just shut up.

?

I just agreed with you. Calm down.