Amazon buys Twitch for $970M, pushes into video streaming market

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Apple paid much more for Beats. $3 billion. Twitch.TV actually would've been a perfect fit for Apple TV.

I knew that. I just couldn't count this morning. :-)

• Reply 22 of 45
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post

Doubtful. I love Apple but it's not known for gaming.

Not in the past, no. With the new A-series processors and metal API, it can and probably will be with future iterations.

• Reply 23 of 45
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Caution: Pushing too hard can lead to hemorrhoids.

At the very least it will give you a droopy eye.

• Reply 24 of 45

Quote:

That is really one of the most ignorant & asinine statements I've ever read here and I've read quite a lot.

Way to denigrate and generalize an entire segment of the population.

Wow, those under-maturated jobless basement-dwellers are awfully hypersensitive folks, and not too bright.  I'm not sure this group of fast-twitch Monster drinking red-eye trilobites can be called an entire segment of the population.  They barely register as a blip on the Relevance-to-Society meter.  Buying GameStop would have made more sense.

• Reply 25 of 45

Viewers who watched this video also shopped for

• Reply 26 of 45
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Great BUY!!! unlike STIPID BEATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HATE DR DRE!!!!!!!!!!!

APPLE IS DOOOOMED!!!!!!!

TIM COOK!!!!!!!

Yeah, I miss drblank too :p

• Reply 27 of 45

Wait til they raises prices.

• Reply 28 of 45
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MidwestAppleFan View Post

Wow, those under-maturated jobless basement-dwellers are awfully hypersensitive folks, and not too bright.  I'm not sure this group of fast-twitch Monster drinking red-eye trilobites can be called an entire segment of the population.  They barely register as a blip on the Relevance-to-Society meter.  Buying GameStop would have made more sense.

Congrats. You've also shown your complete ignorance of reality. Yes, a group of people that contributed $25 BILLION to the US Economy in Fiscal 2011 "barely registers on the relevance to society meter".

• Reply 29 of 45
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by MidwestAppleFan View Post

Did a video game kill your parents, or are you just pretending to be too stupid to realize that everyone plays them?

• Reply 30 of 45
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Had Apple paid this much they would have been scrutinized and mocked.

As far as "basement-dwellers", I think he's talking about those 12-year-old H@rdc0r3 gamerZ who play Xbox and call anyone who likes Nintendo "kiddiez".
    I hate those bastards too...
  • Reply 31 of 45
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Good god! When are the Amazon shareholders going to wake up? Talk about fragmentation and lack of focus.... In other news, Amazon acquires a chain of electronically operated car washes as well as a chain of online dry cleaners...
  • Reply 32 of 45
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    mazecookie wrote: »

Twitch has great content. It's completely replaced my desire to watch TV, I just watch streams nowadays.

It's really interesting to watch people play, learn tactics and the chat is hilarious.

Wow! I think it's time to get a life, unless you were missing the /s
  • Reply 33 of 45
    Quote:

That is really one of the most ignorant & asinine statements I've ever read here and I've read quite a lot.

Way to denigrate and generalize an entire segment of the population.

Quote:

Congrats. You've also shown your complete ignorance of reality. Yes, a group of people that contributed $25 BILLION to the US Economy in Fiscal 2011 "barely registers on the relevance to society meter".

Quote:

That $25 Billion is about 1.4% of the total US Economic Output.   It does in fact barely register and Amazon dumped a ton of money into a small sliver of that market.  That's what happens when you play too many games.  You start doing stupid stuff like spending a billion on an online company that almost no one has heard of.

• Reply 34 of 45

That $25 Billion is about 1.4% of the total US Economic Output.   It does in fact barely register and Amazon dumped a ton of money into a small sliver of that market.  That's what happens when you play too many games.  You start doing stupid stuff like spending a billion on an online company that almost no one has heard of.
    Then I'll just mark you as nothing more than a fool, completely ignorant of reality.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    acgmphacgmph Posts: 48member

This is actually clever. Amazon is going for teens and early 20's to raise brand awareness and increase sales for themselves now, but especially when these kids will grow up and will have their own paychecks and are used to see Amazon ads everywhere. Amazon didn't buy Twitch for what they are, but to secure a future customer base. Clever move Bezos, but I still don't buy your crap.

• Reply 36 of 45
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    cali wrote: »
    Great BUY!!! unlike STIPID BEATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HATE DR DRE!!!!!!!!!!!

APPLE IS DOOOOMED!!!!!!!

TIM COOK!!!!!!!

What did I tell you about making use of the sarcasm tag (/s)...!
  • Reply 37 of 45
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,327moderator
    55 million users is small relative to the likes of Youtube that boasts 1 billion users:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/03/21/us-youtube-users-idUSBRE92K03O20130321

but they can expand twitch to become a Youtube rival if they wanted to. They could potentially use it for a kind of Facetime service to rival Google Hangouts, I think twitch has been used for live conferencing but game related. They can also advertise Amazon content more e.g sell games to gamers.

Some of these purchases are reminiscent of the dot-com era when things like this happened:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast.com

where a bunch of guys started an internet radio company and sold it onto Yahoo for billions and had 0.5m users. It didn't really amount to anything in the end, people don't really listen to radio online. I guess internet video killed the internet radio star but the founders made off with the money anyway. It always has to happen eventually where someone pays more than something is worth.

I don't think gaming will die out as quickly and streaming integration with the consoles will give it a further boost. Let's not forget the classic moments to be had from streaming (40 million views on the video):

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 38 of 45
    Marvin wrote: »
    55 million users is small relative to the likes of Youtube that boasts 1 billion users:

but they can expand twitch to become a Youtube rival if they wanted to. They could potentially use it for a kind of Facetime service to rival Google Hangouts, I think twitch has been used for live conferencing but game related. They can also advertise Amazon content more e.g sell games to gamers.

Some of these purchases are reminiscent of the dot-com era when things like this happened:

where a bunch of guys started an internet radio company and sold it onto Yahoo for billions and had 0.5m users. It didn't really amount to anything in the end, people don't really listen to radio online. I guess internet video killed the internet radio star but the founders made off with the money anyway. It always has to happen eventually where someone pays more than something is worth.

I don't think gaming will die out as quickly and streaming integration with the consoles will give it a further boost. Let's not forget the classic moments to be had from streaming (40 million views on the video):

[VIDEO]

55 million viewers for a very profitable niche is arguably much better than a wildly diverse 1 billion viewers with few common characteristics.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_watched_television_broadcasts_in_America

Compare 55 million hardcore viewers to the top viewed broadcast television programs.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Unexpected. Way to spend all that extra money, Jeff... wait a sec...

My first though too ROFL
  • Reply 40 of 45
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,214member
    Marvin wrote: »

[VIDEO]

I know Amazon has outbound streaming but do they have uploading too?