Apple patent embeds physical iPhone control, feedback components beneath flexible display

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

I'll bite.

Describe the sheer absurdity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, it’s better than your “argument”, which is absolutely nothing whatsoever. No disproof of the benefits of the idea, not even a rebuttal. 

THE IPOD TOUCH ISN’T HELD TO YOUR HEAD. That’s reason number one it can be larger than the iPhone. You’re saying that it would be ludicrous for Apple to make the iPad larger than the iPhone.

I'm surprised I would even have to describe this.

In no particular order....

-The iPod touch is the bastard child of the iOS device family.

-Apple has never given it prominence over the iPhone...the most they have ever done is bring it somewhat inline with the iPhone with a refresh.

-The iPod touch as always been the same size as the current iPhone.

-This means it is INDEED possible that we'll see a new iPod touch at a new size...but only if there is an iPhone at that size TOO.

-When the iPhone is released in 2 sizes, the larger will be the "more expensive, premium".

-I don't care if you don't believe size = premium. To Apple it does.

-Therefor it would be a twilight zone episode to have a 4.7 iPhone and 5.5 iPod touch released at the same time.

-Nevermind the massive disappointment among people that want a 5.5 iPhone and it turns out to be a worthless iPod touch.

-Developers don't develop for iPod touch. They develop for iPhone, and iPod touch is lucky enough to benefit, always being the same size and resolution as iPhone.

-The iPod touch in no way benefits from being intentionally and exclusively larger than iPhone.

I really could go on and on, but there doesn't seem much point. By my 3rd line it was already enough.

• Reply 22 of 31
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    pmz wrote: »

Or, it is the flagship iPod. It is the cheapest (and therefore most accessible) if that's what you mean.

-Apple has never given it prominence over the iPhone...the most they have ever done is bring it somewhat inline with the iPhone with a refresh.

This could change, or the iPod line could fizzle out. We'll see what they decide. All the features of the latest touch are exclusive and not on the iPhone. Colours, aluminium, style, strange strap thing. It's always been differentiated.

Generally this would be a good idea software-wise, but if there start to be multiple screen sizes using auto layout, it clearly doesn't need to be the case.

-This means it is INDEED possible that we'll see a new iPod touch at a new size...but only if there is an iPhone at that size TOO.

Entirely presumption.

-When the iPhone is released in 2 sizes, the larger will be the "more expensive, premium".

If. Maybe.

You mean to you, it does. For Apple, you pay proportionally for components. The iPhone is much more expensive than iPads.

-Therefor [sic] it would be a twilight zone episode to have a 4.7 iPhone and 5.5 iPod touch released at the same time.

Wouldn't need to be the same time, could be. It would be an Apple keynote, I think.

-Nevermind the massive disappointment among people that want a 5.5 iPhone and it turns out to be a worthless iPod touch.

Entirely conjecture that these feelings exist outside your head.

-Developers don't develop for iPod touch. They develop for iPhone, and iPod touch is lucky enough to benefit, always being the same size and resolution as iPhone.

I haven't seen any evidence for this, but it could be true, and could change.

-The iPod touch in no way benefits from being intentionally and exclusively larger than iPhone.

This is the crux of it. I disagree. I think the touch in no way benefits from where it is now, although it did before they had the 5C. The entire iPod category is dying. They need to differentiate the line somehow.

I really could go on and on

Really did.

but there doesn't seem much point.

There wasn't.

By my 3rd line it was already enough.

What, it was obvious enough you had no imagination. Yeah.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

The flagship iPod is a bastard child?

-Apple has never given it prominence over the iPhone...

Your implication being that this would somehow give it prominence, despite not being an iPhone, not doing what the iPhone can do, and not being designed in any way to compete therewith?

So?

-Therefor it would be a twilight zone episode to have a 4.7 iPhone and 5.5 iPod touch released at the same time.

Or, you know, a perfectly real possibility given that Apple likes to do things without “purpose” these days.

Screw them. Apple doesn’t make an xMac either. I guess “all” those people are “massively disappointed”. Or maybe Apple knows not to make worthless products in the first place (meaning a 5.5” iPhone).

-Developers don't develop for iPod touch. They develop for iPhone...

Guess what device would have the same processor as the iPhone. Just guess.

Now. How about when they make a larger one, designed for portable gaming and to be a remote for your other things?

By my 3rd line it was already enough. 

Not when it was completely wrong, no. I don’t know what kind of delusion is required to see a flagship product as a bastard child, but it fuels your incorrectness down the rest of the line.

Look, at this point I figure there will be a 5.5” iPhone. It’s the single most idiotic thing they’ve done since the G4 Cube, surpassing it in that the G4 Cube had a purpose and use case. But a larger iPod touch remains not only a viable option, but a BETTER IDEA.

• Reply 24 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

Or, it is the flagship iPod. It is the cheapest (and therefore most accessible) if that's what you mean.

This could change, or the iPod line could fizzle out. We'll see what they decide. All the features of the latest touch are exclusive and not on the iPhone. Colours, aluminium, style, strange strap thing. It's always been differentiated.

Generally this would be a good idea software-wise, but if there start to be multiple screen sizes using auto layout, it clearly doesn't need to be the case.

Entirely presumption.

If. Maybe.

You mean to you, it does. For Apple, you pay proportionally for components. The iPhone is much more expensive than iPads.

Wouldn't need to be the same time, could be. It would be an Apple keynote, I think.

Entirely conjecture that these feelings exist outside your head.

I haven't seen any evidence for this, but it could be true, and could change.

This is the crux of it. I disagree. I think the touch in no way benefits from where it is now, although it did before they had the 5C. The entire iPod category is dying. They need to differentiate the line somehow.

Really did.

There wasn't.

What, it was obvious enough you had no imagination. Yeah.

This post a is joke, and insult. You ignore every single history and logic-based fact that I lay out and instead offer brilliant insight that amounts to "Maybe, maybe not."

Glad to know you took it so seriously, and had such a well thought out response. Everything I mentioned was true, and would have to be OVERCOME for anything so substantial (and ridiculous) to change in the very near future.

• Reply 25 of 31
    Quote:

The flagship iPod is a bastard child?

Your implication being that this would somehow give it prominence, despite not being an iPhone, not doing what the iPhone can do, and not being designed in any way to compete therewith?

So?

Or, you know, a perfectly real possibility given that Apple likes to do things without “purpose” these days.

Screw them. Apple doesn’t make an xMac either. I guess “all” those people are “massively disappointed”. Or maybe Apple knows not to make worthless products in the first place (meaning a 5.5” iPhone).

Guess what device would have the same processor as the iPhone. Just guess.

Now. How about when they make a larger one, designed for portable gaming and to be a remote for your other things?

Not when it was completely wrong, no. I don’t know what kind of delusion is required to see a flagship product as a bastard child, but it fuels your incorrectness down the rest of the line.

Look, at this point I figure there will be a 5.5” iPhone. It’s the single most idiotic thing they’ve done since the G4 Cube, surpassing it in that the G4 Cube had a purpose and use case. But a larger iPod touch remains not only a viable option, but a BETTER IDEA.

None of what I said is incorrect. All of it leads toward the overwhelming likelihood that when/if the iPod touch even gets updated this year....it will be its own, modest update that keeps it in the shadow of the iPhone....but nothing more.

You cannot argue that this is always been the case, and you cannot argue that ALL probability is that it will continue to be the case.

Flagship iPod is not saying much these days. It says a lot more to say "least popular" iOS device.

I have no vendetta against the iPod touch. Its a great product for the role that it plays. The role that it plays. Don't lose sight of that. Because any suggestion that there is 1 new iPhone at 4.7" and 1 new iPod touch at 5.5" has not only lost sight of it, it is down right delusional.

• Reply 26 of 31
    Does touch ID need to be incorporated into the physical home button or can it be in the "screen"?

I think a button is important to avoid accidental activations.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Does touch ID need to be incorporated into the physical home button or can it be in the "screen"?

I think a button is important to avoid accidental activations.
    It maybe me just thinking but the bottom bezel is just too large and they could reduce it and have the touch ID incorporated into the screen. As for accidental activations, I'm sure Apple have the brains to think of an elegant solution to address the issue.
  • Reply 28 of 31

None of what I said is incorrect.

Yes. It is.

...modest update that keeps it in the shadow of the iPhone...

A device that isn’t a phone is inherently in the shadow of the iPhone.

You cannot argue that this is always been the case, and you cannot argue that ALL probability is that it will continue to be the case.

Do you mean what you’re suggesting? Because I agree what you’re suggesting is not the best case.

Flagship iPod is not saying much these days.

Except it is.

It says a lot more to say "least popular" iOS device.

So how about making it MORE POPULAR by making it DISTINCTIVE and giving it a dedicated PURPOSE more so than any other iOS device?!

The iPhone has telephony.

The iPad has tabletry.

The iPod touch could have gaming, but apparently you don’t want it to be anything more than an iPhone without a phone. Which is exactly what the ‘5.5” iPhone’ will be if it exists instead, because people won’t be able to use it as a phone

The role that it plays.

Mind explaining how your vision of that role differs from what I just said above? Because it doesn’t have a role right now. It exists to be merely part of what the iPhone already is. It does not have its own purpose.

Because any suggestion that there is 1 new iPhone at 4.7" and 1 new iPod touch at 5.5" has not only lost sight of it, it is down right delusional. 

And still you’ve given absolutely no justification for this claim.

• Reply 29 of 31
    Quote:

Yes. It is.

A device that isn’t a phone is inherently in the shadow of the iPhone.

Do you mean what you’re suggesting? Because I agree what you’re suggesting is not the best case.

Except it is.

So how about making it MORE POPULAR by making it DISTINCTIVE and giving it a dedicated PURPOSE more so than any other iOS device?!

The iPhone has telephony.

The iPad has tabletry.

The iPod touch could have gaming, but apparently you don’t want it to be anything more than an iPhone without a phone. Which is exactly what the ‘5.5” iPhone’ will be if it exists instead, because people won’t be able to use it as a phone

Mind explaining how your vision of that role differs from what I just said above? Because it doesn’t have a role right now. It exists to be merely part of what the iPhone already is. It does not have its own purpose.

And still you’ve given absolutely no justification for this claim.

Wow you are just awful. Not only do you not refute a single point, a single FACT that I state....you offer no counter argument, other than some ludicrous opinion that you harbor about how the iPod touch is misaligned....I DON'T CARE IF YOU THINK ITS MISALIGNED. It has nothing to do with this discussion.

I'm talking about WHAT IT ACTUALLY IS, IN THE REAL WORLD!

"Doesn't have a role right now" Yes, actually, it does. Not the role you THINK IT SHOULD HAVE....but I don't give a shit what you THINK it should have!

"How about making it more popular and more distinctive" And what? Lose money? No. Sorry. $199 iPod touch. $650 iPhone. Derp. Which should be manipulated into the position of prominence?

You are not worth talking to about things like this, because you harbor your own off-the-wall opinions, and pass them off as if "this is what makes sense, and what should have been happening all along" and then you argue with me that HISTORICALLY THE WAY IT IS and WILL CONTINUE TO BE does not make sense....because it does not align with your made up opinion.

At no point am I expressing MY OWN opinion. I'm summarizing what has been DONE ALREADY, and what WILL CONTINUE to be done based on that history. For some reason you seem incapable of understanding that. Instead, you'd rather pretend that your opinion of what should happen is somehow more likely, or even possible, just because it makes sense to you.

• Reply 30 of 31

Not only do you not refute a single point... ...you offer no counter argument...

So you didn’t read the post? Either that or you think you can disagree with me without presenting your reasoning.

...a single FACT that I state...

You didn’t state any, so of course I can’t refute them.

...some ludicrous opinion that you harbor about how the iPod touch is misaligned...

If it was actually ludicrous, it should have been easy to refute. Ah, well.

I DON'T CARE IF YOU THINK ITS MISALIGNED. It has nothing to do with this discussion.

We’re discussing the iPod touch, but hey, if you think discussing the iPod touch isn’t relevant to discussing the iPod touch, that’s on you.

I'm talking about WHAT IT ACTUALLY IS, IN THE REAL WORLD!

And I already mentioned that, if you had read the post: it’s half an iPhone, without distinction of its own, receiving only a subsection of the iPhone’s hardware and features and being nothing that isn’t covered by another product they sell.

The iPhone is a phone. The iPad is a tablet. The iPod touch is... not its own thing. A 5.5” model aimed at specific tasks would MAKE it its own thing.

...I don't give a shit what you THINK it should have!

Then why should I care what you think? What does your opinion (because, again, you’ve presented no fact) matter to me, or anyone else, with that attitude? It’s one thing to dismiss opinion when there is no room therefor–such as in the case of an objectively right or factual presentation–but this is not that.

"How about making it more popular and more distinctive" And what? Lose money?

Because Apple is so well known for selling products at a loss, huh. Because selling more products (on which every unit makes a profit, mind) would lead to losing money. That makes sense, I guess.

No. Sorry. $199 iPod touch. $650 iPhone. Derp.

Who said anything about changing the price? Who said anything about a 5.5” iPod touch costing more than any iPhone? A 5.5” could go for $299. Boom.

Which should be manipulated into the position of prominence?

Whichever one has the largest $ amount in its margins, I’d imagine.

...and then you argue with me that HISTORICALLY THE WAY IT IS and WILL CONTINUE TO BE does not make sense...

Well, I never said that. I laid out what it has been historically, explained that it doesn’t make sense within the context of their entire lineup, and provided a way to make the iPod touch fit with that lineup. If you have your own thoughts on this matter, or have thoughts as to why the iPod touch, Apple’s only product that does not have a purpose as defined by every other product they sell, doesn’t deserve a better lot, this is where you’d post that.

At no point am I expressing MY OWN opinion.

Sure did. Examples:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

-The iPod touch in no way benefits from being intentionally and exclusively larger than iPhone

In order:

The iPod touch is the flagship of the iPod line.

The iPhone has never been released in two sizes.

No, it does not.

There would be no “massive disappointment”. There would be no more “disappointment” than there was when Apple didn’t launch the 4S and 5 at the same time. Or when they didn’t make an xMac. Or when they didn’t make a 2.5” iPhone.

Yes. Now. Because it is neither intentionally or exclusively larger than the iPhone. But I’m showing you how, IF this happens, it WOULD benefit.

I'm summarizing what has been DONE ALREADY, and what WILL CONTINUE to be done based on that history.

Yep, that’s generally what I do, too. Now, what would have been a “ludicrous” assumption to make is something not based on what we know. That’s why I was certain the 6th iPhone wouldn’t be called ‘iPhone 5’–because everything we knew up to then said it wouldn’t be.

Guess what we know now and have known for many months? Apple is making a 5.5” device. Everyone calls it an iPhone, but as a phone said device is too large to be used. Period. Irrefutably. So what other products does Apple make already that would benefit from a 5.5” version? Not the iPad–good heavens, no. What else... ah, the iPod touch. But why would the iPod touch benefit from being 5.5”? Well, what does the iPod touch do now? It plays music and generally games. But so does the iPhone. In fact, the iPod touch does just about everything the iPhone does, without the phone. That’s all it is. An iPhone without the phone. The flagship product in an entire category of products is merely a subsidiary to another product in another category. That’s not true of any other product in any other category of Apple’s. So why not fix that? Why not make the iPod touch its own product with its own purpose? Something the iPhone and iPad can’t do? Hey, what if that 5.5” iPhone–the one too large to be used as a phone and therefore worthless in that regard–is actually a 5.5” iPod touch? Then Apple could drop an A8 in it and position it against the Nintendo 3DS LL and Playstation Vita. A gaming handheld for kids/anyone that happens to run the best mobile OS on Earth and has a camera, FaceTime, and everything else. And hey, why not have one of those around for home automation, too? Use it as a remote/game controller for an Apple TV, use it to control appliances and lighting–the size makes it better than an iPad or iPhone to do, too.

It was a challenge to write the above paragraph. I had to wrack my brain for an expounded version of what literally runs through it in seconds. I don’t know if everyone else is supposed to be able to process this quickly; I only have my own head’s to judge against. So forgive me if I’m confused why you 1. didn’t draw this same conclusion immediately 2. didn’t seem to draw it at all. To me it’s just common sense, and I can go through it quickly. Apologies if my position wasn’t clear beforehand; I can’t tell what is and is not common knowledge to others. Because of that, let me know if I skipped a step in the logic above.