Apple expected to unveil 'iWatch' alongside 'iPhone 6' at Sept. 9 event

Comments

• Reply 81 of 149
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

The watch as a biosenseor for healthkit will be a must have; health is trending big Coke Cola just hit the market with their "Life" drink yesterday.

And Coke is to acquire Monster which has all the same health benefits of drinking antifreeze. People who want to know the exact status of their respiration is a much smaller group than those who want to eat healthy, do mild exercise like walking and get plenty of sleep. The latter do not need a smart watch to tell them anything. They are already in tune with their bodies.

• Reply 82 of 149
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The Mac Pro was made in the US by well paid, professional, grown ups, not underpaid Chinese teenagers with questionable ethics who steal parts.

I would love to learn that the iWatch is being made in the US, but probably not likely. 

I will reserve judgement until I see it but it would take a lot to convince me to wear a watch.

Nothing is going to scream fanboy like an iWatch.

Nothing that small is made in the US.

• Reply 83 of 149
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

No way apple will dilute the attention of the world by announcing them together!

Apple will keep the focus on each product in its own exclusive event !

Considering the iWatch is an iPhone accessory....you couldn't be more wrong.

• Reply 84 of 149
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

The watch as a biosenseor for healthkit will be a must have; health is trending big Coke Cola just hit the market with their "Life" drink yesterday.

And Coke is to acquire Monster which has all the same health benefits of drinking antifreeze.

Yeah; the idea of Coke and McDonalds (for instance) sponsoring health, fitness and sport is a huge joke. 

Here in Blighty, a man once ate nothing but McDonalds for a month to see how it was like, and to get in the news, of course. I can't remember the exact outcome, but I recall that he put on a lot of weight and got chest pains. Having said that, I can't resist a double cheeseburger. 

• Reply 85 of 149
    auxio wrote: »

AFAIK, you can't mix C++ and Swift code unless you use Obj-C++ as the glue (which is a hassle).  So Swift is a non-starter for cross-platform developers (might as well just use Obj-C++).

I am no C++ programmer, so this may not apply.

As I understand it you can use Obj-C (instead of Obj-C++) to bridge between Swift and C++. Bridging Swift and Obj-C is straight forward.

You can search for C++ Swift and find several solutions -- Again, I have no idea if this type of solution is robust enough to be of value to C++ programmers.
  • Reply 86 of 149
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,736member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Before I figured out that I was fighting the system I had hundreds of lines of code in my ViewController trying to define, load, sort and reload the table — I hadn’t even gotten into moving or resizing columns, etc. The Bindings take care of all that.

It's possible to use bindings in XIBs with Obj-C too.  It's just not as readily visible as it is with Swift.

For example, you can make a rounded rectangle button easily by binding the layer.cornerradius and layer.masksToBounds properties of UIButton in the Xcode UI editor.  It's shown in the second answer here.  Do more searching for making rounded rect buttons on stackoverflow and you'll see the multitude of convoluted ways people have come up with to do it.  It just goes to show that the first way you think of to do something isn't necessarily the only way to do it in Obj-C.

But I agree, Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker because it's new and so it doesn't have a multitude of redundant ways to do the same thing.

• Reply 87 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Well they do make the A8 in Austin and that is pretty small, so it can be done. iWatch would be perfect for a product to be assembled entirely by robotics. I'm not as concerned about where it is made as where it will be bought. I'm having a difficult time imagining it as a mainstream consumer device.

• Reply 88 of 149
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Yeah; the idea of Coke and McDonalds (for instance) sponsoring health, fitness and sport is a huge joke. 

Here in Blighty, a man once ate nothing but McDonalds for a month to see how it was like, and to get in the news, of course. I can't remember the exact outcome, but I recall that he put on a lot of weight and got chest pains. Having said that, I can't resist a double cheeseburger. 

There is a movie supersize me - its well worth watching in my option of course

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390521/

• Reply 89 of 149
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,736member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I am no C++ programmer, so this may not apply.

As I understand it you can use Obj-C (instead of Obj-C++) to bridge between Swift and C++. Bridging Swift and Obj-C is straight forward.

Right, but Obj-C still isn't cross-platform.  Try to write an application that works on both Windows and Mac using Obj-C.  Even if you can find an Obj-C compiler for Windows which will build an application for you, you can't do much without having the Cocoa/AppKit/Foundation frameworks available.  Trying to write Obj-C apps for Windows is like trying to write C# apps for Mac -- you can do it, but you won't get very far because each language is pretty-much OS-specific.

That's why C++ is useful for cross-plaform code (i.e. for the backend/data management logic of your application).  However, you still need to load that data into your UI, and the only way to do that on Mac is with Obj-C++ (which is just a fancy term for Obj-C code that's mixed with C++ code). Once you've gotten your data into Obj-C++, then you can mix with Swift, but at that point, how much are you really gaining over just continuing with Obj-C?

• Reply 90 of 149
    new sig
  • Reply 91 of 149
    The iWatch will be "One more thing...." at the end of the event. After introducing the 4.7" and 5.5" iPhones, Tim Cook will come back on and say: "OK, you idiots kept screaming for ridiculous, huge-ass, unusable phones, so here they are. But since they're going to be hidden away in your purse or murse or backpack, since they won't fit in your pocket, and you sure as Hell don't want to be seen in public holding one of these fuçkers up to your face, here's a remote control to interact with them, which we'll be happy to sell you for more money—since you've obviously got more money than sense!" /s
  • Reply 92 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

The iWatch will be "One more thing...." at the end of the event. After introducing the 4.7" and 5.5" iPhones, Tim Cook will come back on and say: "OK, you idiots kept screaming for ridiculous, huge-ass, unusable phones, so here they are. But since they're going to be hidden away in your purse or murse or backpack, since they won't fit in your pocket, and you sure as Hell don't want to be seen in public holding one of these fuçkers up to your face, here's a remote control to interact with them, which we'll be happy to sell you for more money—since you've obviously got more money than sense!" /s

Love it!

I wish I could enter an alternate universe, in which your post played out in real life, just for for the fun of it. Can you imagine Tim Cook saying that? The gasps in the audience? ????

• Reply 93 of 149
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Oh, you weren’t being patriotic...

• Reply 94 of 149
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:

No parts leak yet though.

Because it's made in USA somewhere in the desert of Arizona.

• Reply 95 of 149
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,757member
    I can't wait for this - I miss the convenience of just glancing at my wrist to tell time, and I also eagerly await many of the things a well executed device could bring.

If anyone hasn't seen the Ask Tog iWatch speculation, it's worth a read: http://asktog.com/atc/apple-iwatch/
    The watch would also have to be Android-compatible, but I know that's a long shot.

lol - long shot? All you have done is admit you really don't want an Apple wearable at all. Just order the motorola flat tire when it's released.
  • Reply 96 of 149
    mstone wrote: »
    Nothing is going to scream fanboy like an iWatch.

Nothing screams mindless drone like people who govern their decisions in life by what other people are going to think of them :rolleyes:
  • Reply 97 of 149
    auxio wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Before I figured out that I was fighting the system I had hundreds of lines of code in my ViewController trying to define, load, sort and reload the table — I hadn’t even gotten into moving or resizing columns, etc. The Bindings take care of all that.</span>

It's possible to use bindings in XIBs with Obj-C too.  It's just not as readily visible as it is with Swift.

For example, you can make a rounded rectangle button easily by binding the layer.cornerradius and layer.masksToBounds properties of UIButton in the Xcode UI editor.  It's shown in the second answer here.  Do more searching for making rounded rect buttons on stackoverflow and you'll see the multitude of convoluted ways people have come up with to do it.  It just goes to show that the first way you think of to do something isn't necessarily the only way to do it in Obj-C.  But I agree, Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker.

As I mentioned earlier, initial XIB implementations required so much extra work that many abandoned the new way for the known way -- do it in code!

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."

That's a cogent remark -- I will quote you on that!

I think that is partially because Swift makes it difficult to drag legacy [programming] baggage forward -- it almost goads you into looking for a better way. Once you realize that, it's almost like embarking on a fresh, new adventure -- like learning to program for the first time.
  • Reply 98 of 149
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's hotly anticipated "iWatch" may be introduced to the public sooner than expected ...

We'll only know for certain when one of these two things happens:

1. Apple actually announces "iWatch" at some as-yet-unannounced near-future event, or

2. Jim Dalrymple says either "Yup." or "Nope." to the "sooner than expected" rumor.

Whichever happens first.

• Reply 99 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

I miss the convenience of just glancing at my wrist to tell time, 

I have a lot of watches mostly from the 90s. The only time I would wear a watch these days is if I have to go to the performing arts center in formal wear. Then I would wear a thin elegant gold watch with a leather band, I have a few. Forget a chronometer, I'm not going underwater, and no one ever pulls out an iPhone to see when intermission is about to end. I could see an iWatch for sport activities or casual wear but I'm thinking it would not be appropriate for formal or even business suit accessorizing.

• Reply 100 of 149
    It’s adapt or die (professionally).

Exactly - if your a professional it should be a non-issue. Or hardly the primary issue for you.