New photos purport to show near-final 'iPhone 6' rear shell, cover glass

Comments

• Reply 21 of 105
    allenbf wrote: »
    sog35 wrote: »

not liking those bands

I think this is the first time I'm able to agree with you.  I had hoped that the bands were 'placeholders' for the glass windows like the 5s.  It isn't a dealbreaker, though.

Yeah ...

Like interpersonal relationships:  Appearance is the initial attraction -- but content of character closes the deal and sustains the relationship!
  • Reply 22 of 105
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

By the way I find it fantastic the way a legit rumor can be so misconstrued for so long. How long have we been hearing about "Curved glass" or "Curved displays"?

How many wrong ideas and mockups have we seen based on this interpretation?

How many people have we seen try to explain and justify a curved display?

When all along, this is all Apple was trying to do.....round the edges of the glass (the BEZEL section) so that its curves in to the already curving sides, creating a completely rounded feel.

That's it. They've probably been working on this design for at least 2 years if not longer, explaining pretty much the entire history of "curved glass" rumors.

But man has it been a funny ride with people pretending like they understand what this would amount to.

• Reply 23 of 105
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yeah ...

Like interpersonal relationships:  Appearance is the initial attraction -- but content of character closes the deal and sustains the relationship!

That's a deep (and true) thought for a Friday ;-)

• Reply 24 of 105
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    pmz wrote: »
    By the way I find it fantastic the way a legit rumor can be so misconstrued for so long. How long have we been hearing about "Curved glass" or "Curved displays"?

How many wrong ideas and mockups have we seen based on this interpretation?

How many people have we seen try to explain and justify a curved display?

When all along, this is all Apple was trying to do.....round the edges of the glass (the BEZEL section) so that its curves in to the already curving sides, creating a completely rounded feel.

That's it. They've probably been working on this design for at least 2 years if not longer, explaining pretty much the entire history of "curved glass" rumors.

But man has it been a funny ride with people pretending like they understand what this would amount to.

We have no confirmation of anything at this point.
  • Reply 25 of 105
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Leakers: last chance to earn your industrial espionage bonus cash! Hurry up and leak, you greedy bastards. Because in two weeks, no website will pay for these photos.

What I don't understand is, if you are going to leak photos, why you wouldn't take them in such a way that no identifiable background can be seen?  From the background shown in these photos, it should be fairly easy for Apple to trace the origin.

• Reply 26 of 105

Apple has finally made the ugliest iPhone.

• Reply 27 of 105
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

What I don't understand is, if you are going to leak photos, why you wouldn't take them in such a way that no identifiable background can be seen?  From the background shown in these photos, it should be fairly easy for Apple to trace the origin.

They don't care. It was a friend of a friend who stole the parts. Feng.com put their logo on the images so they are taking credit for it.

• Reply 28 of 105
    not liking those bands
    I can live with it. I'm more concerned about camera bulge.

According to patent info, I've read -- the small elevation around the camera lens could allow quick and secure attachment of external lenses.

Previous iPhones give many DSLRs a run for the money -- except for the ability to attach external lenses.

iPhone cameras already provide geotagging, image stabilization, etc. that are only available on DLSR cameras costing several thousands of dollars.

It could expand the meaning of:  "The best camera is the one you have with you."

IMO, a little lens wart is a small inconvenience, considering the potential.
  • Reply 29 of 105
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    It's official. The word purport and all its tenses have been killed by Appleinsider.

It is overused but I suppose it's the most appropriate word because the synonyms more strongly imply doubt. If they're getting anonymous tips, they don't want to go round saying things to the effect of 'this nut sent us a leak, we don't believe it but here it is anyway' and that's implied if they used allegedly. The word alleged is used more to describe people who have allegedly committed a crime but we assume not until it's proven. Purport comes across as less doubtful.

The color matching bands here look better that the higher contrast white and black ones. This is also in interior office lighting, which never looks good.

Still no explanation for the logo cutout though unless this is for NFC to get through.
  • Reply 30 of 105
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    ismofam wrote: »
    I do not like the bands either. I could understand if there were used for water proofing, impact mitigation but from the inside of the case you cannot see them so they appear to be purely decorative (sigh, ugly). With all the gaping holes i do not see this phone to be a waterproof - too bad my cheapo pebble watch is... so the technology is there. We shell see...
    Excuse my ignorance, but how exactly do waterproof/resistant phones work? Does sound come out of the speaker holes? Does the microphone work? How is the headphone jack protected? All the buttons and switches that depress and move. How are these all sealed from water, but still operate correctly? Serious question.
  • Reply 31 of 105

It's not a just a phone, it's really not mang. It's purportedly a lifestyle accessory. Kardashians unite.

• Reply 32 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Leakers: last chance to earn your industrial espionage bonus cash! Hurry up and leak, you greedy bastards. Because in two weeks, no website will pay for these photos.

When I read your response, it triggered a memory of a homicide incident that occurred earlier this week at Foxconn. Here is the link to that story... http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2014/08/foxconn-homicide-related-to-new-iphone-6-security-measures.html.

Unsurprisingly, AppleInsider and other sites chose not to publish a story about this homicide since it just might make the sites look bad for pushing people to such extremes to leak confidential information for money. 

• Reply 33 of 105
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

not liking those bands

I'm not liking shitty reception which can occur when you have a metal body. So if the answer to that issue is infusing some glass, plastic or whatever in the shell okay. I'll put the phone in a case and never have to look at them. Although in truth who really looks at the back of a phone that often given that you can't really do anything with the back.

• Reply 34 of 105
    According to patent info, I've read -- the small elevation around the camera lens could allow quick and secure attachment of external lenses.

Previous iPhones give many DSLRs a run for the money -- except for the ability to attach external lenses.

iPhone cameras already provide geotagging, image stabilization, etc. that are only available on DLSR cameras costing several thousands of dollars.

It could expand the meaning of:  "The best camera is the one you have with you."

IMO, a little lens wart is a small inconvenience, considering the potential.
    A few points...

I didn't know there was quite such a attachment lens market for the iPhone. I wouldn't guess that it is high on very many people's do-want list for the iPhone.

No iPhone gives a DSLR a run for the money. It beats many point-and-shoot cameras, but not a DSLR. Packing in the features will never compensate for the difference in sensor size. And that has nothing to do with megapixels. It's all about capturing data and data format.

Geotagging and image stabilization specifically and even HD video capture are available on DSLRs that cost less than $1000. Image stabilization in SLR lenses has been around for years.

A little lens wart is more than a small inconvenience if it means the iPhone doesn't sit flat on a table.
  • Reply 35 of 105

That back with the plasticky bands is pretty ugly. Reminds me of the plastic edges on the mid- and late-2007 Mac Book Pros.

Not a fan… But on the basis that this leak may well be (hopefully is) complete BS, I'm happy to wait for the official launch to see the real thing.

• Reply 36 of 105
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ismofam wrote: »
    I do not like the bands either. I could understand if there were used for water proofing, impact mitigation but from the inside of the case you cannot see them so they appear to be purely decorative (sigh, ugly). With all the gaping holes i do not see this phone to be a waterproof - too bad my cheapo pebble watch is... so the technology is there. We shell see...

What are you talking about "decorative"? Apple does not do decorative.

For all you know, those inserts you're calling "bands" are the antennas, made of ceramic mixed with sintered metal, with electrical connections to the inside. Just an example of what they could be.

The leap to hand-wringing here is just astounding. The first thing you should do is trust that Apple knows what they are doing.

And another thing. I think they look good. Inlaying elements flush into plain—or plane—surfaces always adds tactile and visual interest, but the effect can only be appreciated with the device in your hand. When you see it in a 2D photograph only, it is your impoverished left brain that's doing the judging.
  • Reply 37 of 105

I honestly don't mind the look, it is more interesting than the backs of most Android phones. Given that they are situated on all the edges where the phone is most likely to hit when dropped, that makes them easier and cheaper to replace if damaged than if that was metal to get chipped, allowing you to restore the phone to an undamaged appearance. It allows the antenna to work despite the metal case, and if Apple felt like it (I doubt they will, though it'd be cool if they do) they could light up with LEDs to serve as notification lights or just as "undercarriage lights" for those who are willing to spend the battery on it. 

• Reply 38 of 105
    Still very HTC.
  • Reply 39 of 105
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    createrio wrote: »
    Still very HTC.

No it isn't. HTC is about ridiculous bowed backs and brushed textures.
  • Reply 40 of 105
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    macapfel wrote: »

not liking those bands

These bands are very strange. They almost look as some plastic to peel off – and I would like to peel it off ...

Bowser's sweat socks