With Apple's 'iWatch' around the corner, Wellograph releases sapphire smartwatch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Okay, I just want to know how the model got his hairy arm tanned while keeping his hand milk white?
  • Reply 22 of 49
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

I doubt by looking at it was designed per se....

more like - great, circuit board is working fine, software is almost done, now someone find a nice small enclosure for the pcb, oh, and don't forget it needs a strap, oh- and sapphire glass or something so it doesn't get scratched. And hurry up, I hear apple might try to do their version soon....

LOL :)

Yeah, I think your description of what probably happened is most likely right around the mark.  heh.

• Reply 23 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Okay, I just want to know how the model got his hairy arms tanned while keeping his hands milk white?

Only a guess, but he looks like a lefty golfer to me.  In that case, he would have a glove on his right hand for hours at a time, except when he is putting (unless he's like me -- and Lexi Thompson -- who just leave the glove on). :)

Actually, it's pretty funny following some of the LPGA players on Instagram and Twitter.  When they're on vacation and posting a pic in a bikini, for instance, their arms are tanned down from where the sleeves would end.  One hand is tan, the other isn't.  Feet not tan.  Legs tan from where the skirt or shorts would end but not otherwise.  They always are making fun of themselves and how ridiculous they look. :)

• Reply 24 of 49
    looks a bit like a Pebble, but with sapphire.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    I doubt by looking at it was designed per se....
    more like - great, circuit board is working fine, software is almost done, now someone find a nice small enclosure for the pcb, oh, and don't forget it needs a strap, oh- and sapphire glass or something so it doesn't get scratched. And hurry up, I hear apple might try to do their version soon....

You just described the creation story of every iWatch wannabe out there. I seriously doubt most of them would exist had the rumor mill not been relentlessly grinding out the 'what will Apple come up with' stories daily for what seems like forever.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    Wow..... that's not remotely attractive!!
  • Reply 27 of 49
    aaronj wrote: »
    Only a guess, but he looks like a lefty golfer to me.  In that case, he would have a glove on his right hand for hours at a time, except when he is putting (unless he's like me -- and Lexi Thompson -- who just leave the glove on). :)

Actually, it's pretty funny following some of the LPGA players on Instagram and Twitter.  When they're on vacation and posting a pic in a bikini, for instance, their arms are tanned down from where the sleeves would end.  One hand is tan, the other isn't.  Feet not tan.  Legs tan from where the skirt or shorts would end but not otherwise.  They always are making fun of themselves and how ridiculous they look. :)

Thanks! I would never had thought of that not being a golfer. It just looked weird to me but obviously it was a deliberate model selection to send the subliminal 'Look even a left handed golfer wears one' message to golfers. :D
  • Reply 28 of 49
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Looks ugly.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    vl-tone wrote: »
    Fortunately for them, they won't have any problem producing enough sapphire to make the 15 Wellographs they'll sell this year.
    Haha very true.

Others: "We had sapphire first!"

Apple: "We had 10,000,000 of them first."

Tim Cook:
  • Reply 30 of 49
    Quote:

Thanks! I would never had thought of that not being a golfer. It just looked weird to me but obviously it was a subliminal and deliberate model selection to give the 'Look even a left handed golfer wears one' look. image

Just one more OT, golf-related comment.  Phil Mickelson, clearly the most famous lefty on tour these days (well, Bubba Watson is up there now too, I guess), is actually right-handed.  For a golfer playing lefty, the dominant arm is the right arm, with the opposite being true for righty golfers, obviously.  Oh how I wish all those years ago when I picked up the game that I had taken it up playing left-handed. :)

OK, done with the golf comments now, promise.  Heh.

• Reply 31 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jinglesthula View Post

looks a bit like a Pebble, but with sapphire.

not even as nice looking as the pebble steel, and that should not win any design awards for looks

I have to admit - i have a pebble steel - the gps when I'm on the water, and the texts and notifications are excellent - means i don't have to take my phone out of its waterproof box a whole lot less.

i even find the steel useful enough at work - I hope that apple gives me a reason to replace it very soon.

SO far, despite wearing it a lot, even when fixing boat engines, and performing other manual duties, its not scratched at all - whatever they use as glass its very very good.

• Reply 32 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VL-Tone View Post

Fortunately for them, they won't have any problem producing enough sapphire to make the 15 Wellographs they'll sell this year.

14, Im not buying one.

sorry but Wellograph is a really awful name, might have been a good name later on in the last century.

• Reply 33 of 49
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member

gas face that watch

• Reply 34 of 49
    If you lose more than 4 fitbits a year, this seems like a break-even product! If you lose 5, you come out ahead. NB: this assumes you never lose your watch.
  • Reply 35 of 49

That watch is ugly.  It reminds me of an ankle bracelet used to track criminals out on parole.

• Reply 36 of 49
    Quote:

Okay, I just want to know how the model got his hairy arm tanned while keeping his hand milk white?

...grabbing the prototype watch bases from out of the anodizing tank...

• Reply 37 of 49
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Sleek interface. Impossibly fat. Does it even fit behind a sleeve? What were they thinking? "We gotta get this thing out before Apple! No matter how thick it is!"
  • Reply 38 of 49
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Hahahaha hahahaha hahahahahaaaa... Man, that's hahahaha so ugly.
  • Reply 39 of 49

So that's how not to do it. I don't see people  that are prepared to pay serious money for a watch buying something like that in preference to a conventional watch made by an experienced watchmaker - many of them are beautiful and there's so much choice.

It's got to be the battery determining the size and the biggest power-consumer is the display. I don't see any versatile colour display being able to meet always-on and a sensible battery life, a watch can't demand a smartphone-like charge every night regime (I flew long-haul and my watch stopped - I don't think so). So the answer is to dump the display? Perhaps it will have to "say more" instead but I'm sceptical about that too.

• Reply 40 of 49
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member
    Lol.
    I had a good laugh when saw this thing. That's my only reaction and comment about it.

there has yet to be a half way decent looking smartwatch, let's see if Apple can pull it off. Still somewhat skeptical, but Apple has a better eye for design. ..iOS 7 aside that is.