Japanese smartphone buyers prefer Apple's anticipated 5.5" 'iPhone 6,' data shows

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    I don't believe there will be a 5.5" iPhone in 2014. That's my prediction and I'm not backing down.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    sog35 wrote: »
    wanna wager?

If there is a 5+ inch phone for Apple in 2014 you self ban for 2 weeks.
    If not I'll ban for 2 weeks.

are you game?
    The law of risk management: never bet what you aren't prepared to lose.

Ok. If I lose I will immediately ban myself from this site for 2 weeks. If on December 31st midnight there is no 5.1+" you immediately ban yourself from this site for 2 weeks.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I wonder how many analysts are thinking ahead to realize that Apple is about to embark on not one big year of larger screen iPhone sales but two. There are tons of folks who are coming off a two year contract or have otherwise amortized the cost of their existing iPhone over the past two years. Those folks will line up this year. And in the last 12 months Apple sold, what, 170 million iPhones? None with a screen larger than 4". Those are next year's iPhone 6S upgraders. So Apple has two solid years ahead before it'll finally have to come up with the next... Next Big Thing.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    sog35 wrote: »
    half the planet are not men

And there's plenty in the other half who aren't real men! Lol!
  • Reply 25 of 40
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    I wonder how many analysts are thinking ahead to realize that Apple is about to embark on not one big year of larger screen iPhone sales but two. There are tons of folks who are coming off a two year contract or have otherwise amortized the cost of their existing iPhone over the past two years. Those folks will line up this year. And in the last 12 months Apple sold, what, 170 million iPhones? None with a screen larger than 4". Those are next year's iPhone 6S upgraders. So Apple has two solid years ahead before it'll finally have to come up with the next... Next Big Thing.

I'm assuming after this iPhone we'll see an iPhone with TouchID, the home button, the microphone and front camera embedded under the display. Apple could then, potentially, squeeze a 5 inch display in a chassis smaller than the 4.7 inch iPhone 6.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

That's the 5C you are talking about.

iPhone Pro 5.5

iPhone Air 4.7

iPhone Color 4.0 (5S in plastic)

iPhone 5C ( 5 in plastic, only in white or black)

I'm really glad you don't work in Apple's marketing or design departments. What's with all the plastic? iPhone Color? Taking a recognized product, iPhone 5C, that was available in multiple colors and changing it to just black and white? The sog35 school of marketing, just confuse the customer and sell more phones. Sounds a lot like Samsung!

• Reply 27 of 40
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    apple ][ wrote: »
    jason98 wrote: »
    I guess iPhone 5.5 will make iPad mini pretty much dead. And it is a good thing, Apple is better to disrupt themselves than let others to disrupt them.

That couldn't be further from the truth.

There is a huge price difference. The iPhone 5.5 will be around $700-$800 probably, and how much is an iPad Mini again?

Oh, that's right, you can get one for $200 recently at some places.

And also, 7.9 is a bit bigger than 5.5, and also, not everybody wants a phone or wants to pay for a phone plan.

I expect the comparison would be:

Retina iPad mini + iPhone 5 = $399 + $650 = $1,049
    vs
    5.5" iPhone 6 = $750

People need phones regardless. I don't think you can replace a 7.9" iPad with a 5.5" phone for prolonged tablet use but if it's mainly for Candy Crush Saga, Facebook/Twitter, maybe an occasional read in bed or the bathroom, some people could probably switch from two devices to one.

I think if they do come out with a 5.5" model, the sales will be dwarfed hugely by the 4.7" model. Even if there's a surge in sales to begin with, it'll quickly die down as people realise how cumbersome that size is to live with.

As for Japan, it's easy to vote for the big screen but phablets over there are as low as $200-300 and that's even killing Samsung's sales. They won't take 35% of the market at $750.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

And yet AAPL is falling like a rock today! Run for the hills! image)

Don't run for the hills. Buy!*

*I am not a financial advisor. You are responsible for your own decisions.

• Reply 29 of 40
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I expect the comparison would be:

Retina iPad mini + iPhone 5 = $399 + $650 = $1,049

vs

5.5" iPhone 6 = $750

People need phones regardless. I don't think you can replace a 7.9" iPad with a 5.5" phone for prolonged tablet use but if it's mainly for Candy Crush Saga, Facebook/Twitter, maybe an occasional read in bed or the bathroom, some people could probably switch from two devices to one.

I think if they do come out with a 5.5" model, the sales will be dwarfed hugely by the 4.7" model. Even if there's a surge in sales to begin with, it'll quickly die down as people realise how cumbersome that size is to live with.

As for Japan, it's easy to vote for the big screen but phablets over there are as low as $200-300 and that's even killing Samsung's sales. They won't take 35% of the market at $750.

I agree that for certain people who might not want to buy both a phone and tablet, or perhaps for those people who can't afford both devices, then the 5.5 iPhone is an option that will give them sort of both.

I personally would probably not want a 5.5, because I'd rather have a small phone to carry with me, and larger iPads at home, but I can understand how certain people will compromise and get the 5.5.

• Reply 30 of 40

paging Tallest Ski....

I love how meaningless this survey is.

• Reply 31 of 40
    How can Apple be getting into health, yet releasing phones that only fat people can fit into their pockets? If so, that structure being built for next week's event is probably a big buffet. Everyone there can pack on the blubs and get fat iPhone ready stretch pants.

Or maybe these new bigger phones have built in purse straps so people can carry them around that way? :smokey:
  • Reply 32 of 40
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    Ok. If I lose I will immediately ban myself from this site for 2 weeks. If on December 31st midnight there is no 5.1+" you immediately ban yourself from this site for 2 weeks.

I'm not part of this wager (but if I were, I'd bet the 5.5" *does* exist. I'd bet *against* the inclusion of NFC though!).

In any case, it looks like you're trying to win your bet on a technicality. I would say that your bet should be based strictly on what's announced during the Sept 9 event - not when the device actually hits the shelves. The way you word it, you'd win the bet even if the device is real - if manufacturing problems delayed the launch until January.... In my opinion (which I acknowledge that nobody asked for), you lose the bet if they *announce* a phone with a screen larger than 5.0" on Sept 9th.

Who wins the bet if they announce that they're adding a cellular radio to an updated iPad Mini (making it a 7.9" Phablet)???
  • Reply 33 of 40
    redefiler wrote: »
    How can Apple be getting into health, yet releasing phones that only fat people can fit into their pockets? If so, that structure being built for next week's event is probably a big buffet. Everyone there can pack on the blubs and get fat iPhone ready stretch pants.

Or maybe these new bigger phones have built in purse straps so people can carry them around that way? :smokey:

It's fat people who have trouble getting stuff in and out of their pockets. Trust me—I know.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    512ke wrote: »
    What you are not realizing is that, alongside the anticipated 5.5" iPhone 6, Apple will also be releasing a new line of Burberry-designed pants and shirts that will feature 6 inch pockets.

I predict that 2015 will be the year of the 6 inch pocket. 

Pockets in Womens pants tend to be fake or nearly useless. A 4" (older style bar-type) cell phone doesn't fit in any that I'm aware of.

Though it wouldn't surprise me if Levi's and other Jeans companies decide to market new jeans/pants with "pockets that can fit an iPhone 6!", considering that almost no pants out there are deep enough, let alone wide enough to fit anything but car keys.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

The "other' is the 4.0 inch iPhone Color.

Basically the 5S in a plastic shell.

I'm inclined to think that Apple will keep the iPhone 5C exactly as it is and just continue to drop the price. It is relatively easy to keep it fresh by changing up the colours without other modifications.

Their goal with this model is to eventually offer a very cheap phone that will displace the iPod touch from the line-up. They have chosen not to launch it as a cheap phone but launch it as a premium model and adjust the price downwards over time as they did with the Macbook Air.

I think the iPhone 5S will remain as a mid-tier phone in the lineup since the new screen and form factor of the iPhone 6 will be enough to differentiate them.

Touch ID was one of the few externally differentiating factors between the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5S. With the limited initial use cases for Touch ID Apple may have been concerned people would favour the iPhone 5 over the new model. This may also have been a reason why the iPhone 5 was discontinued and the plastic iPhone 5C introduced.

• Reply 36 of 40
    tenly wrote: »
    I'm not part of this wager (but if I were, I'd bet the 5.5" *does* exist. I'd bet *against* the inclusion of NFC though!).

In any case, it looks like you're trying to win your bet on a technicality. I would say that your bet should be based strictly on what's announced during the Sept 9 event - not when the device actually hits the shelves. The way you word it, you'd win the bet even if the device is real - if manufacturing problems delayed the launch until January.... In my opinion (which I acknowledge that nobody asked for), you lose the bet if they *announce* a phone with a screen larger than 5.0" on Sept 9th.

Who wins the bet if they announce that they're adding a cellular radio to an updated iPad Mini (making it a 7.9" Phablet)???
    I'm fine with that. I never said it had to be in stores and in every country. If they announce a 5.1"+ iPhone in 2014, I lose.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Apparantly you're one step closer. If BusinessInsider can be believed (which is questionable), China Mobile is already taking pre-orders for the 5.5" iPhone: http://www.businessinsider.com/china-mobile-preorders-for-iphone-6-2014-9
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by redefiler View Post

Or maybe these new bigger phones have built in purse straps so people can carry them around that way? image

Precisely. 

It's in Apple's interest to get everyone incredibly fat and unhealthy, so there is a big market for their wearable which will help monitor and improve your health and fitness. But if you're already fit and healthy, you won't need it!

• Reply 39 of 40
    it's hard to get the iPhone is Tokyo - the waiting line was about 1 mile long...