Jen Taylor, voice of Microsoft Windows Cortana, prefers to use Apple's iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That's an option too, everybody has their own methods.

Hell, I lost the equivalent of many Android phones today just in the drop in AAPL today. One Android phone is meaningless to me. I'd probably just break the damn thing. 

And truth be told I'm glad this gal's using an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch. I just think it's hysterical how completely stupid these companies are that the people they're ostensibly paying to pimp their products aren't even USING their products. I mean wouldn't that be a REQUIREMENT?

"We're paying you money to promote our products, you guys need to use them!"

• Reply 22 of 45
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    What exactly is Daniels point? Has he questioned all the contractors that MS bring in to see if they also use iPhones? Has he checked out all the contractors that Apple use also use iPhones?
  • Reply 23 of 45
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

I seem to remember Justin Long admitting that he used a Windows PC at home.

Who cares?

• Reply 24 of 45
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I suppose that might be the only reasonable excuse for them. I mean, Apple retail employees don't get free iPhones AFAIK, so I can buy your possible explanation.

On the other hand, Apple should tighten up their hiring process in my opinion, because I would never have hired that person to begin with.

Don't be so ridiculous.  What phone he/she uses has nothing to do with how well they'd be able to do their job.

Maybe they don't even have any connection with the phone side of the store, maybe they only work with the Macs, or they're the store's Final Cut or Logic expert.  

This is retail staff we're talking about, not product designers and you just artificially limited your hiring policy because of stupid dogma.  Was it Ballmer or Gates that forbade their kids from using non-Microsoft stuff?  I'm glad Apple aren't so petty.

• Reply 25 of 45
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    This article is very thin on substance and too heavy on innuendo. I agree with thataveragejoe on this one. My work issued phone is not an iPhone but I own and prefer my personal iPhone. Regarding Apple employees using non-Apple phones or vice versa, in a competitive environment you want to be very familiar with your competitor's products. The old adage about "keep your friends close but keep your enemies closer" is useful in these situations. Plus, if you are truly confident and totally believe in the value and attractiveness of your consumer product in the market then the vast majority of your employees had better WANT to be using your product if they are representative of your target customer. If you have to force your employees to eat their own dog food for anything other than testing purposes when they would rather not - well that's a clear sign that you have much larger problems to contend with other than your collective public image.

Finally, there's the matter of confidence and humility. When you observe Tim Cook's leadership style you see these two qualities, confidence plus humility, play out in nearly all public situations and in the ways he presents himself and his company. Articles like this one are the antithesis of confidence plus humility at work. They are petty and nit-picky and out of character for how Apple presents itself. You're not doing Apple any favors by pursuing this thin line of public eye poking.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    MS's Cortana voice Jen Taylor prefers Apple's iPhone, "Now that's a smart phone... user!"
  • Reply 27 of 45
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

While I don't think any company has a right to dictate personal choices their employees make there is a difference between a random employee and a public spokesperson. Anytime a celebrity is used to promote a product it is implied that they have chosen to do so or that they believe in the product and folks who have a hard time with critical thinking on their own get the idea that if (fill in your favorite celebrity here) used product X then I can be just like (celebrity) if I also use product X. When that celebrity is seen using the competing product it bursts that bubble of illusion that was created for the advertisement. I understand its a business and all that - but if I ran the world, no one would be allowed to endorse a product unless they actual used and believed in the product even when not on camera or being paid to promote it. 

• Reply 28 of 45
    To recognize an apple retail employee outside the store is quite unlikely by the way. Apple Retail employees usually don't wear blue shirts outside their stores...
  • Reply 29 of 45
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

And truth be told I'm glad this gal's using an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch. I just think it's hysterical how completely stupid these companies are that the people they're ostensibly paying to pimp their products aren't even USING their products. I mean wouldn't that be a REQUIREMENT?

"We're paying you money to promote our products, you guys need to use them!"

She's not an endorser.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    You sound like a big cry baby. And now. You don't know, but Windows Phone's tellme was the first "cortana." While My brother's family took my lil bro (who I bought a windows phone) on vacation, they were looking for a pizza place. And all of my brother's family were yelling at thier iphones, my brother grabbed his windows phone and asked it to find a pizza place. FIRST TRY it found it. TellMe existed a YEAR before "siri." STOP BEING LAME IPHONE USERS. Windows Phone existed before iPhone and always out innovated the poor beleaguered iOS. If the industry partners would have picked up Windows Mobile 7, Microsoft would be dominating, but they didn't mainly due to Android and the advent of ARM processors. Which Apple raised from a seedling on iPods which they came from Samsung innovation. Anywho, I think its lame Apple people think you invented the smartphone. So lame. And trademarking the term App Store does not mean you invented the dang thing. MORONIC.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    It should come as no surprise that a product you have to pay people to endorse has got a popularity problem. Just because you pay someone to front for you doesn't mean you've bought their love. Even though the Cortana girl was not paid to endorse, the resulting embarrassment for MS is a function of the same core issue.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    Jen Taylor is not a Microsoft employee, any more than John Hodgman is an Apple employee.
    Actors work for themselves.
    Exactly. She is not an endorser or spokesperson. She probably is under no obligation to use or appear to use Microsoft products.

It is kind of funny to think that Cortana uses an iPhone, though.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

This article is very thin on substance and too heavy on innuendo.

If you know what I mean.

...in a competitive environment you want to be very familiar with your competitor’s products.

Well, in an environment in which you’re developing cross-platform, at least.

Finally, there's the matter of confidence and humility. When you observe Tim Cook's leadership style you see these two qualities, confidence plus humility, play out in nearly all public situations and in the ways he presents himself and his company.

Hear hear.

• Reply 34 of 45
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Well this confirms for me something I had always suspected about DED; he doesn't know what a naked woman looks like.

• Reply 35 of 45
    I prefer the iPhone to all other "smart" phones. However, if I was getting paid by Microsoft, even on a contract basis, I would use a Windows phone. This was a very unprofessional move on her part. Any other company thinking of hiring her will think twice.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    What a totally despicable story! That Apple employee should immediately be fired! If I had witnessed that, I would have sent an email to Tim Cook.

Not because Apple shouldn't allow freedom of choice, but because any Apple employee choosing to use Android over iOS is obviously unqualified for their job. It shows a lack of technical understanding and just an all around general cluelessness on the part of the employee. And that person is supposed to be selling Apple products? I doubt that they are a very good salesperson. I question the sanity of anybody choosing Android over iOS, especially when the subject in question is an Apple employee who gets discounts on Apple devices. Who wants crazy people working for them?

It is baffling that any Apple employee would ever choose to use an Android phone out of their own free will. On the other hand, it is totally understandable that employees at other companies, like Microsoft and Google, choose to use Apple devices and Apple computers, since Apple's are the best that you can get.

This is not a two way street.

chill... I'm guessing he hasn't gotten his first paycheck yet.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

chill... I'm guessing he hasn't gotten his first paycheck yet.

Fail.

• Reply 38 of 45

People still say that?

• Reply 39 of 45
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

People still say that?

Heavens, that takes me back to Ireland in 2008. And a very nice woman whom I totally blew it with.

• Reply 40 of 45
    Heavens, that takes me back to Ireland in 2008. And a very nice woman whom I totally blew it with.

Did you tell her to shut up, and go away? ????