Apple supplier Catcher Technology accused of labor violations in China plant

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I don't think foreigners have an appreciation for the depth of the deep corruption in China. Personally, I believe they should be kicked out of the WTO.

Yes. When my friend's source code got stolen, he went to the police. 

The guy who stole the source code yelled at him, "Do you think only you big foreign companies have relationships ?"

Turns out that the entire police station is friends with him. The law is not well enforced there. So the police officer simply told my friend off.

Same for the guy who ran away with my other friend's money (It's millions !).

He paid the police in Dong Guan, and continue to party there.

There's nothing you can do.

You could also get beaten on the streets for the proper work you carry out in the office.

Basically, CLW -- if they operate out of China -- is subjected to these corruptions and madness too.

It may be better now, but the spectrum of right-vs-wrong is very wide.

• Reply 22 of 35
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

It is a cultural thing.  In Japan, tattooed people are highly discriminated against as traditionally, tattoos were the provenance of the Yakuza organized crime gangs and similar gang and criminal oriented people.  I wouldn't be surprised if China had similar cultural connotations for tattoos -- that tattoos are the provenance of the various triads and other gangs.

Didn't know that.  Catcher should offer a couple scholarships- but only for people who are tattooed.

• Reply 23 of 35
    patsu wrote: »

Yes. When my friend's source code got stolen, he went to the police. 
    The guy who stole the source code yelled at him, "Do you think only you big foreign companies have relationships ?"
    Turns out that the entire police station is friends with him. The law is not well enforced there. So the police officer simply told my friend off.

Same for the guy who ran away with my other friend's money (It's millions !).

He paid the police in Dong Guan, and continue to party there.
    There's nothing you can do.

You could also get beaten on the streets for the proper work you carry out in the office.
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Basically, CLW -- if they operate out of China -- is subjected to these corruptions and madness too.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">It may be better now, but the spectrum of right-vs-wrong is very wide.</span>

I would consider opening a business in Hong Kong, but never in the Chinese mainland unless I had close ties inside their government.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Didn't know that.  Catcher should offer a couple scholarships- but only for people who are tattooed.

It's not only in China:

http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2013-09-04/news/41765769_1_tattoos-14-organisations-managers

Takes time to change people.

• Reply 25 of 35
    andysol wrote: »

LOL
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

While I would love that idea to happen, there is no way companies are going to bring manufacturing back to the US for the foreseeable future. The time and cost is too great.

Then why is Apple doing it?

http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-to-build-made-in-the-usa-manufacturing-plant-in-arizona/

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/05/apple-creates-us-jobs-renewable-energy

• Reply 27 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I would consider opening a business in Hong Kong, but never in the Chinese mainland unless I had close ties inside their government.

Yeah, one of them was (still is) doing a startup there (His market is in China).

The other was a country manager of a multi-national company. He's appointed to go there by higher ups.

They all have relationships.

• Reply 28 of 35

Some of Catcher's other clients, but let's pin the blame squarely on Apple 5 days before their event. Nice job AI.

Acer

BlackBerry

Dell

Hewlett-Packard

HTC Corp

Motorola Mobility / aka Google

Nokia

Samsung

Sony

• Reply 29 of 35

I live in Hong Kong. I used to live in Japan, and mainland China before that. I speak mandarin.

- Japan and China cannot be equated on any basis, except that they're both Asian, have diets that consist mainly of rice, and use the same written characters. There is no widespread cultural bias against tattoos in China, this is nothing more than a measure designed to weed out people they think might cause trouble. It's not entirely different from Walmart hypothetically choosing not to hire people who show up to the interview in a red shirt for fear that they might be Bloods.

- When Apple products are made in a factory, it's almost always nothing *but* Apple products being made in that factory, especially when iOS devices are in question. As has been written on AI a hundred times, contract manufacturers often dedicate plants entirely to Apple due to the absurdly large volumes. If you had read the report,  you would see that this is exactly the case in this factory. 

- The only way these manufacturers will change their tactics is if their clients demand it. This industry is vital to the Chinese economy; Apple's new iPhone alone is expected add 1% to China's exports through the remainder of this year. The government is slowly getting its act together, but companies like Apple will have to be the catalyst for near-term change - nobody else has the clout to demand fixes.

• Reply 30 of 35
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Talk about slanted journalism and executing on a personal vendetta against Apple. Does the NYT expect that Apple is going to personally police every one of their suppliers at every level on a daily basis to ensure that they are complying with Apple's elevated supplier responsibility rules that the suppliers are choosing to violate? These suppliers are owned and run by organizations that are responsible for the safety and welfare of their workforce. These suppliers are operated under rules and regulations dictated by governments at many levels. Implying that Apple must continuously impose, enforce, and police standards that are being openly ignored by the whole chain of irresponsible people and organizations who have less than one tenth the concern about worker safety that Apple demonstrates on a consistent basis is rediculous. Sorry NYT, Apple can't save the world from itself and setting it up as the universal fall guy for everyone else's shortcomings is a baseless attack. Start drilling down ten levels in NYT's own supply chain and I'll bet you'll find plenty of dirt, which matches up nicely with their current publishing strategy.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    To send an email to Brian X Chen, Google him for his email address at the Times.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Do you really want to believe in China Labor Watch?  I think this organization itself is dirty.  How does it work?  Most posters think China is corrupt.  CLW has many Chinese in it.  Why do they do things that are un-Chinese?  How does it get funded?  I feel there is a lot of politics behind.  They could be from Apple competitors and/or anti-China people. Therefore, I don't think CLW actually cared for the workers.  First of all, CLW must use Apple to get the most money.  This is kind insane.  

• Reply 33 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Love the coordinated attack of piling on negative stories right before Apples event. Disgusting.

Yeah, it's ridiculous. Apple is cleaner on overseas labor in Asia than any other American company, AFAIK.

• Reply 34 of 35
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stargazerCT View Post

Some of Catcher's other clients, but let's pin the blame squarely on Apple 5 days before their event. Nice job AI.

Acer

BlackBerry

Dell

Hewlett-Packard

HTC Corp

Motorola Mobility / aka Google

Nokia

Samsung

Sony

Exactly. Not a single mention anywhere of these other companies. I don't see why it is anyone's job except Catcher to make sure they follow rules.

• Reply 35 of 35
    A small delivery group close to the border in China that has business relations with a bigger delivery company that once deliver wall paint with the gray shade color that resembles the same shade of gray Apple uses on MacBook Pros has been accused of labors violations in China.