Rumor: Apple in late-stage talks to buy Path social platform

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    philboogie wrote: »
    I get that. I just think people should use their phone to communicate. What's wrong with talking? It's the oldest form of communicating (I think), it's free and it's wireless.

You've got to get with the times... or go (waaaay) back in time... however you view it, you will be communicating in hieroglyphics sooner than you think :D

Edited: I couldn't find the "cave painting" of the fish... but maybe that's too far back to think about anyway :)
  • Reply 22 of 39
    In relation to my last post and just saying: I think I already know what the #1 and most common hieroglyph drawing is going to be... but I'm not sure if I can show it here (NSFW) ... but does offer itself to the spontaneity of the moment AKA "quicky"... :smokey:
  • Reply 23 of 39
    You've got to get with the times... or go (waaaay) back in time... however you view it, you will be communicating in hieroglyphics sooner than you think :D

Edited: I couldn't find the "cave painting" of the fish... but maybe that's too far back to think about anyway :)

This 'sketch' function should be really popular in Asia. Perfect for quickly drawing out characters in Chinese or Japanese. Might be nicer if one could respond to a text with an inline sketch.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

In relation to my last post and just saying: I think I already know what the #1 and most common hieroglyph drawing is going to be... but I'm not sure if I can show it here (NSFW) ... but does offer itself to the spontaneity of the moment AKA "quicky"... image

*schlong* *question mark*

*animated disagreement emoticon*

*heartbeat slows*

• Reply 26 of 39
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    This 'sketch' function should be really popular in Asia. Perfect for quickly drawing out characters in Chinese or Japanese. Might be nicer if one could respond to a text with an inline sketch.

This is a feature that would be cool on an iPhone or iPad too ... OS 8 maybe?

Anyone taking bets on who the first celebrity couple will be to post a video of they heart beats on ?Watches during ... ahem ... cough .... cough ...
  • Reply 27 of 39
    andysol wrote: »

I only use Instagram. In fact, Facebook and blogs are my two least favorite forms of "communication". I can't stand having to hear someone's opinion about some subject and their rant on Facebook. Cancelled my account years ago.

Instagram is great because I can just see pics of my friends and their families without all the necessary commentary except the occasional thumbs up emoji. If I truly care about someone's opinion, they are either my friend that I talk to in person (or phone), or they are someone I hold with high esteem- like reading their book.

Now- care about my opinion! :p

I care deeply ... ;)

I was thinking AI type blogs I don't even think of FB as a blog ...just a mind numbing, ego centric, lunatic asylum for lonely or deranged people .. :D... I cancelled my account ages ago too.
  • Reply 28 of 39

Using Apple computers for 37 years has already destroyed my hand eye coordination /ability to write with a pen. I can barely do my signature on the rare check i write now. I can well see me ending up reduced to caveman symbols in a few years of this, especially if it comes to iPads and iPhones too.
  • Reply 29 of 39

Stupid me... after enduring roughly 5 minutes of the event with Chinese dubs(!)... how could I forget that character drawing is a really useful way to communicate in Asian languages.

This is one of those cross-over functions that may become so popular, we'll see it added as an extra function key (like Emoji) on all keyboards in future iterations of iOS.***

*** Not the proper thread I know: but just one of the very many "little things" that add up, that make the ? Watch an incredible addition to... and essentially WHY... I believe more than ever that we are now at Apple 3.0. Imagine the cross pollination of functions, features and miniaturization that this product already will offer come early 2015... than envision versions 2 and 3 in a few years time, along with a graph/curve similar to the one TC displayed for the iPhone, currently 87x (times!) more powerful than version 1!

Truth: I was going to post a couple of days ago a picture of a retouched (to remove the engravings) silver dollar, and a similar sized elongated curved slab of chrome metal... as my prediction of what the then named iWatch would be. That's it. Upon seeing the all-enclosed "computer" (chips and motherboard) of the ?Watch... I immediately see all kinds of forms it can take, and the places that little bugger can be made to fit. What about in 2-3 years?

Even if it fails as a watch (it won't!)... Apple wins big time for going small(!)

No one's mentioning it, but Apple just created competition for, and essentially "Pipped the Pi".
  • Reply 30 of 39
    I thought Path had already been acquired by Google or Facebook? I remember groaning when I heard it, as I was a happy user of Path. I liked being able to limit those who shared my vacation with me to my closest family and friends, not the whole universe of Facebook. Path is opt-in rather than opt-out in that regard.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I thought Path had already been acquired by Google or Facebook? I remember groaning when I heard it, as I was a happy user of Path. I liked being able to limit those who shared my vacation with me to my closest family and friends, not the whole universe of Facebook. Path is opt-in rather than opt-out in that regard.

Nope.

They are struggling to find an audience; the venture capitalists are no longer very enthusiastic about this service which is why the most recent mezzanine funding valuation is considered disappointing.

They also had a major snafu when it was revealed that they were uploading people's address books to their servers without the user's explicit consent (Feb 2012). That really damaged their reputation concerning what they thought about their users' privacy. I closed my account after this episode. Eventually, Path CEO Dave Morin apologized on the company blog and deleted the ill-gotten data. The FTC subsequently fined the company $800,000 and forced them to submit to privacy assessments for the next twenty years.

If I remember correctly, the service was well designed, but it never developed any traction in major markets. There's one southeast Asian market (Indonesia?) where it had some popularity, but that was a couple of years ago and we all know these social networks wax and wane in popularity very quickly.

Path's engineering talent is the most valuable asset, maybe some intellectual property or any patents. The service itself could be shut down tomorrow and it would barely register a blip.

• Reply 32 of 39

I love Path and use it daily as my primary social app.  It is the only ad-free, private, social network that I know of.  Plus it's got a great simplistic design that's easy and fun to use that has only gotten better over time.  It will be a big loss if something as special as Path goes away.

Here's hoping, if this rumor is true that Apple won't completely dismantle Path or change it so much that it's unrecognizable.

• Reply 33 of 39
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

I heard on NPR today that Microsoft is reportedly in negotiations to acquire Minecraft for $2b.  Nothing to do with Apple, since Apple doesn't have a Games division, but I couldn't help thinking how much cooler it would be if Apple got them instead (and pretty much left it alone).  Minecraft is an amazing platform and brand and would be an asset for any company that treated it right.

• Reply 34 of 39
    malax wrote: »
    I heard on NPR today that Microsoft is reportedly in negotiations to acquire Minecraft for $2b.  Nothing to do with Apple, since Apple doesn't have a Games division, but I couldn't help thinking how much cooler it would be if Apple got them instead (and pretty much left it alone).  Minecraft is an amazing platform and brand and would be an asset for any company that treated it right.

Even as an Apple fan... I'm going to throw MS a bone and say they should get Minecraft. They have nothing other than enterprise and gamers in the future, both surely big enough and worth their while to continue as a successful company. Everything else they should just shutter it... and focus on what they do best. Windows everywhere was a pie in the sky wish upon a falling star... literally.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Path Talk

Rolls off the tongue!!
  • Reply 36 of 39
    I tried Path, but everyone else used Facebook. I couldn't see the point in it.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    ireland wrote: »
    Yes, but rename it. It's one terrible name.

And even with a better name the issue will be getting people to move from Facebook to Path as people won't use two networks indefinitely. I can see the synergy with Path, but could have seen a lot of synergy with Twitter too. I'd bet the could have bought Twitter at one time or another if they really wanted to. Jack Dorsey said as much at one stage I believe. 

Rename it? Ok.

Footpath.
  • Reply 38 of 39

Makes sense. Path is a private, not sharing your info with advertisers, more intimate, not allowed to have over 150 friends social network. Sounds like Apple.

• Reply 39 of 39
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Makes sense. Path is a private, not sharing your info with advertisers, more intimate, not allowed to have over 150 friends social network. Sounds like Apple.
    http://venturebeat.com/2012/02/08/path-sorry-about-that-whole-data-stealing-thing/

They've probably seen the error of their ways since tho...