Apple offering existing iCloud storage customers grandfathered capacities, cheaper rates

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25

The day that the new plan prices were announced, I went and bought the old 50 GB plan for $100 because it was still available to me to purchase and with my previous experience with MobileMe and the capacity upgrades that happened to me there, I knew that this would happen to me here also.

So on Sept 9 I had "50 GB storage plan, billed annually: $100.00".

Because I knew that there was also going to be the new 200 GB, 500 GB and 1 TB plan I knew I was going to get upgraded to one of those as they wouldn't downgrade me to one of the smaller ones.

I was hoping that I was going to get upgraded to the 1 TB plan as that was similar in price to what I paid, however what I get was a message on Sept 11 saying, "Your iCloud storage has been upgraded to 200 GB." and that I'm being refunded an amount of $55.01 CDN and have a special annual price of $44.99 per year, renewing on Sept 9, 2015.

---------

We recently announced new, more affordable iCloud storage plans. As a thank-you for being a current iCloud storage plan subscriber, we’ve increased your storage plan and you will be receiving a refund based on the reduced plan price.

Your plan has been upgraded from 55 GB of total storage at $100.00 a year to 200 GB at just $44.99 a year. You will receive a prorated refund of $55.01, which is based on the price reduction and the remaining months on your subscription. On September 9, 2015 this 200 GB plan will automatically renew and you will be charged $44.99.

We increased the amount of storage in our new plans so you can get the most out of our new features like iCloud Drive, which lets you store and access any type of file from all your devices. All edits you make are automatically updated, which means you’ll always have access to the latest version of all your documents.

If you need more storage, you can choose a different plan from iCloud Settings at any time, right from your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, or PC. Learn more about iCloud storage pricing >

The iCloud Team

NOTE: This annually priced storage plan is only available to current iCloud storage plan subscribers. You may cancel or downgrade from your device at any time. If you choose to change to one of our new plans, you won’t be able to switch back to this annual plan. You can contact Apple for a refund within 15 days of an upgrade. Partial refunds are available where required by law.

• Reply 22 of 25

Did you upgrade to the 20 GB yourself, or did you wait for the iCloud team to upgrade you?

That might be the difference. If you upgraded yourself, you lose the yearly plan offer and perhaps messed up the upgrade process.

I'd first try cycling the power on your device to see if it updates, and if that doesn't help give iCloud support a jingle.

Cheers…

• Reply 23 of 25
    Did you upgrade to the 20 GB yourself, or did you wait for the iCloud team to upgrade you?

That might be the difference. If you upgraded yourself, you lose the yearly plan offer and perhaps messed up the upgrade process.

I'd first try cycling the power on your device to see if it updates, and if that doesn't help give iCloud support a jingle.

Cheers…

Yeah I upgraded myself. I didn't let them upgrade. I think I went to the feedback website and addressed my problem but the team hasn't replied me yet.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LJC94512 View Post

Yeah I upgraded myself. I didn't let them upgrade. I think I went to the feedback website and addressed my problem but the team hasn't replied me yet.

@LJC94522 Unfortunately, I think because you upgraded yourself  you've lost any chance to get the annual deal because once you make a change yourself there is nothing that the iCloud support team can do to put you back in.

I called them yesterday to see if they could put me into the larger 500 GB annual tier, as I would have preferred that over the 200 GB plan and he said that unfortunately he has no option to put me into that tier on an annual plan. The only way to get the other tiers is for me to leave the annual tier with the discount and move to a monthly plan without the discount.

Those that were put into the grandfathered tiers were put into them by an automated program script to change all of the accounts that were still in the old system to the new equivalent tiers and give the prorated refund to you iTunes account . Since you switched yourself out of the old tier before the script ran on your account there is no way that they can run it on your account again since your account doesn't have the required parameters to grandfather your account.

What you should do however, is check your iTunes account balance and see if you got your prorated refund still. If not, I would give the iCloud staff a phone call to see if there is a refund that is still owing to you. But as I said, they won't be able to put you into an Annual account as only the technicians had that ability and it was only a one time ability. To be able to do it again would require them to rewrite code just for your account, and their not going to do that.

The same thing goes for grandfathered @mac.com and @me.com email addresses. It was a one-time script to ensure everyone in the previous system kept their old email addresses and there is no way they can get it back for you now if you were to delete that account as again it would require a custom script, which they are not going to write. I know this for fact, as I tried to get it done myself because one of my accounts was accidentally deleted in the iTools to MobileMe transition.

II guess the moral is that patience is a virtue.

I hope that helps and clarifies for you what happened. Do contact them to ensure you got a refund if you were due any.

Cheers… SkipR

• Reply 25 of 25
    I received the email and it states that my account will renew for 20GB at $10.99. I checked my phone and it does only show 20GB and no free 5GB... so unless its a mistake where they've completely taken away the complimentary 5GB, your screenshot actually implies that you are paying an extra $1.00 for that free 5GB.