'We're sorry:' Apple experiences numerous iPhone 6 preorder problems from crushing demand

Comments

• Reply 121 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RobM View Post

Slow day on the island today ?

Obviously... NZ is an island... right...

• Reply 122 of 198
    chadbag wrote: »
    I suspect that more people tried to watch the live stream than tried to watch streams of the SuperBowl (I am not talking about broadcast or cable or satellite TV, just internet streams).   Something that big is hard to test btw.   They could have done better, of course, since you can always do better.  But I bet the reasons for the issues were ones hard to control (except for the Chinese thing, which is just dumb).

But to put it in perspective, even Obama's teleprompter has had problems in the past, and that is just distribution to one user, and should have been easily tested ;)

They need to learn how to over-engineer for these situations, then they would be able to easily handle the worst case scenario.
  • Reply 123 of 198
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondtheTech View Post

Make no mistake about it.

As much as Apple wants to give you the best user experience with their hardware and software, and the best customer experience in their Apple Store and Apple Retail Store, this agony and frustration that still keeps you coming back for more is unabashedly deliberate.

Just like their price points on their products, it's the perfect balance of anger and lust.

It's deliberate, and it's sheer brilliance, it's free publicity, and free marketing.

Thumbs down.  You're giving Apple too much credit.  The fact is that Apple's ecommerce capabilities do lag those of Amazon and a small number of other massively scaled site.  On the other hand, these things are very complex and I'm sure many of the problems were at the intersection of Apple and some third party.  And here we are half a day later and everything is (presumably) fine.

• Reply 124 of 198
    Since people have better memories of activities which are interrupted, they will always remember their attempt to buy an iPhone 6 Plus, after midnight, on the night it first became available. Dudes, it's a GOOD thing!
  • Reply 125 of 198
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by msalganik View Post

Would Apple Pay actually be contacting Apple servers for each transaction? I thought that the iPhones would be pinging the card-issuing bank servers for the tokens (which would then be given to the reader), so Apple wouldn't actually be involved in the transaction (and therefore their store crashing has nothing to do with how well Apple Pay will work)? Please clarify for me if I misunderstood something.  

The phone is not pinging the bank to get a token.  It has a stored Device A******* Number (forget what the A is for) and passes that through NFC to the terminal in the store.  The merchant then passes that up, and at some point, I think an Apple server is pinged on the backend.  The device itself is not doing it.

• Reply 126 of 198

Yes it is. What I want to know is where's Old Zealand? ????
  • Reply 127 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Denmark?

• Reply 128 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

The phone is not pinging the bank to get a token.  It has a stored Device A******* Number (forget what the A is for) and passes that through NFC to the terminal in the store.  The merchant then passes that up, and at some point, I think an Apple server is pinged on the backend.  The device itself is not doing it.

ok, so my understanding was that you get a unique number/token for each transaction - is that something that is generated by the iPhone then or is that something that is provided by either the CC bank or Apple? I guess I've heard this explain wrong before so I appreciate any insight (or a link to a good explanation)

• Reply 129 of 198
    Quote:

About 300 miles down the coast from Atlantis.

• Reply 130 of 198
    Quote:

Originally Posted by msalganik View Post

ok, so my understanding was that you get a unique number/token for each transaction - is that something that is generated by the iPhone then or is that something that is provided by either the CC bank or Apple? I guess I've heard this explain wrong before so I appreciate any insight (or a link to a good explanation)

The iPhone has this Device A***** Number it creates when the card is added.  A dynamic transaction token  is also sent along but I don't think that comes from the phone, but the merchant terminal, but I could be wrong.  Anyway, this number and the transaction token are sent together AFAIU.

• Reply 131 of 198
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member

heh - yep. Several islands, in fact.
    But, in so far as actual sales numbers are concerned (I know Apple doesn't report those), it's the trend I'm interested in.
    A growth toward larger devices or something else - I suspect the 6+ will be the device that over time becomes a popular choice.
    It may even chew into iPad mini sales.
  • Reply 132 of 198
    scotty321 wrote: »
    Apple is supposed to be the best technology company on the planet, yet they have never gotten LiveStreams right and they have never gotten preorders right. I'm being kind by not listing all the other things they've never gotten right!

Tim Cook and his gang of losers has not once cured cancer! Not even once!
  • Reply 133 of 198
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

Thumbs down.  You're giving Apple too much credit.  The fact is that Apple's ecommerce capabilities do lag those of Amazon and a small number of other massively scaled site.  On the other hand, these things are very complex and I'm sure many of the problems were at the intersection of Apple and some third party.  And here we are half a day later and everything is (presumably) fine.

Apple, along with all the other carriers, have had upwards of seven years of experience to get this right, and each year, it's the same "We're sorry," and "OMG, we didn't anticipate the number of preorders/orders."  Sure they can, they've got seven years of sales numbers and customer trends to prove it.

I vividly remember when AT&T was the official, exclusive carrier for the iPhone for the first three years.  Each year, each AT&T retail store had no more than 10-50 iPhones at launch day, yet allowed lines as much as 500 people long stand in front of their doors for hours, most of whom would be standing in vain.  Each year, mind you, not just the first one.  Of course, AT&T is all about maximizing their profit, so why even pay their own employees a commission and/or spiff when Apple across the street will do it for free?

Anyone who still thinks it's not deliberate in totality or partially, is drinking way more of the Apple Kool Aid than the rest of us. 

• Reply 134 of 198
    msalganik wrote: »

The device creates a token which it sends along with a device identifier. What happens after that isn't clear, but somewhere along the line Apple has to translate that into the CC info.
  • Reply 135 of 198
    About 300 miles down the coast from Atlantis.

So to live there you would need to be island hermit crab? ????
  • Reply 136 of 198
    Quote:

So to live there you would need to be island hermit crab? ????

Which is totally different from Island Hermit Curmudgeon.

• Reply 137 of 198
    Quote:

The device creates a token which it sends along with a device identifier. What happens after that isn't clear, but somewhere along the line Apple has to translate that into the CC info.

Or a token that is sent to the CC network in charge.  (Ie, [and this is speculation], when Apple confirms and authorizes your card when you scan it [and they do according to the video], they may just get back a token from the network and when they get a request in from Apple Pay, they just send that token on to the network which then looks it up locally to process it.  Limits the need to know and spread of CC numbers even more, so that only the network [Visa/MC, Amex, etc] has to know about the card number).

• Reply 138 of 198
    Tim Cook and his gang of losers has not once cured cancer! Not even once!

lmao
  • Reply 139 of 198
    Hell, it wasn't just %uF8FF servers, it nearly shut the internet down!
  • Reply 140 of 198
    New Zealand is a twist on zeeland because of the Dutch explorer Abel Tasman who was the first to chart a part of the coast round these here parts.

So Old Zeeland would actually be in Holland.

Boring history rant off/