Apple's patented physics-based iPad GUI translates file size into mass, supports intuitive gestures

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    Ah come on! Those guys threw this patent together in an afternoon after reading an article on Ars, Wired, or wherever.

This is an example of something that is far "too obvious" and will not stand the 101 ruling, "Doing It On A Computer" test. I do this with my hands every day with nuts and screws on my messy workbench.

/s

I love how you made that /S as huge as possible. It's clear you've perused the AI boards before...better make sure that thing isn't missed! Made me laugh.
  • Reply 42 of 44
    another feature we won't see in real life for at least 5-10 years.
  • Reply 43 of 44
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

wait -- youre comparing a conceptual mobile OS patent to the incremental OS X announcement at WWDC?

I was more comparing the amount of thought that went in to one vs the other, rather than the things themselves. There's no reason you can't put a lot of effort in to an incremental update.

• Reply 44 of 44
    Nice that they have the patent... but I don't see it coming to a device soon. The patent and video above are still from an organized tech-nerd point of view.

Here's what i think is important to a new desktop paradigm:
    [LIST]
    [*] Search
    [*] predictive selection
    [*] Artificial Data Detection (like face recognition and photo grouping) for data of all kinds to group similar and related data objects
    [*] meta data and tagging
    [/LIST]

Reality on the average desktop and a look at the average email inbox, says that people do NOT take the time or have the time to organize themselves. They need help... and isn't that what computers and computing is supposed to help us with?

As an example: images.
    If you need to "find" that one image, a search using meta data, close proximity in theme and/or color, aka reverse image look-up and/or color look-up similar to [URL=http://www.ironicsoftware.com/deep/]Deep[/URL]) is faster and far more efficient than a stack or group (folder hierarchy).

Aliases and/or multi-tagged items based on content for email, PDFs, Pages (docs), Numbers (xls, etc. and intelligent prediction of what and where each document fits in a project (workflow) is the future.

You only have to imagine if you had to search the web using a folder hierarchy... which we did back in the day... to realize why folders, stacks, and self-organized archiving is not the way moving forward.***

*** Even if iCloud will start to show folders, the new Spotlight search on Yosemite points to a day when the folder paradigm will no longer be front and center and how we organize data efficiently.... in order to find it effectively later.