Siri partners with Shazam to recognize songs in iOS 8

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    pazuzu wrote: »
    But how will Siri hear you ask above a loud song?
    She can't even hear over NYC street traffic without given me directions to Kalamazoo.
    I prefer to push a button natively.

In the previous betas when you had a small music icon near the center of the screen that you could press to have it give you the song info via Shazam. They removed it a beta or two ago.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    You could do this from Beta 1 until 6 and then in the Gold Master the servers were disabled then re-enabled when iOS 8 came to the public. It was also in the Keynote for iOS 8.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Shazam is an app I almost NEVER use... but when I do I want it badly and I want it fast!

It doesn't earn a place on my Home Screen page 1, nor my Dock, and I end up forgetting where I put it and doing a Spotlight search.

Siri seems like a good way to have this function at the ready, quickly, without having to hunt.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    For added convenience after you activate Siri it should just automatically detect that music is playing and start listening. Now you always have to activate it with something like 'what's this tune' which in a somewhat noisy environment is not always as straight forward.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    Does anyone have an explanation for why use of 'Hey Siri' requires connection to external power? Seems kinda clunky? (If previously asked and answered, apologies: a link will suffice.)
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Does anyone have an explanation for why use of 'Hey Siri' requires connection to external power? Seems kinda clunky? (If previously asked and answered, apologies: a link will suffice.)

I imagine the always-listening state uses more power, but I also assume they intend its use for places where you probably have it charging but not necessary able or willing to hold down the Home Button and look at the screen. Examples, might be while driving, "Hey Siri… Get me directions to the nearest gas station," or while in bed with your eyes closed, "Hey Siri… What time is it?"
  • Reply 27 of 31
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I have no idea what is going on in this thread.

Sorry, can't help you there, siree.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    philboogie wrote: »
    I chuckled when Siri responded with the songname, followed by a "just don't ask me to sing it". Oh Siri, you start to grow on me. And every time I put you away, I am even 'more happy' to see you.
    I asked Siri to set a timer for 2-1/2 hours.The response was "OK, your timer is set.....and the suspense is killing me." :D
  • Reply 29 of 31
    jupiterone wrote: »
    I asked Siri to set a timer for 2-1/2 hours.The response was "OK, your timer is set.....and the suspense is killing me." :D

Oh dear, she's cheeky again.

Siri can be amazing, just like some people

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 30 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Oh dear, she's cheeky again.

Siri can be amazing, just like some people

Apple has wisely hired some pretty amusing writers for Siri.
    http://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/4563249

They're now doing the same for China, looking for creatives to craft funny Siri responses for that market. Google on the other hand "sticks to just the facts ma'am" rather than making any attempt to be entertaining. I like Apple's approach as it comes across as being much more human.
    http://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/10082466
  • Reply 31 of 31
    gatorguy wrote: »
    ^ post and link

Great find sir!

I must say I'm impressed with their attention to all this. Still, in spite of that, I'd like to see them go even further, as there are still some |'s to be crossed.