How to back up your data and move it to your new iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I haven't tried iBrowse. I compared iExplorer to one other similar utility, and decided that I preferred iExplorer. I think it was the help and support pages that tipped me over. The application is quite expensive, but it's very well laid out and quick to use. I only mentioned messages and voicemail, but it extracts much more from your iDevice if you want to; probably as much as it can. It offers various formats for exporting and various ways of sorting the information.

Just a warning:  there are reports of iExplorer bricking people's iPhones due to flakey behavior during backups and file access.  There are lots of other alternatives, I use iMazing (formerly DiskAid), for which no reports exist of it hosing iPhones.  

• Reply 42 of 49
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,271moderator
    It's also easy to manage files over one's WLAN, bypassing clouds altogether.

iOS can access NAS drives with 3rd party apps just fine.
    what I thought you meant (and what I'd want the most- probably why I read it that way) is a device that housed an SSD and battery, which functioned like an external battery pack with a piggy back storage device.

They have those kind of devices for movie streaming - the battery is only enough to power the drive, although that is when streaming:

http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/wireless/seagate-satellite/

They are useful devices but not enough for Apple to make them. Having to add the battery and wireless capability is more than necessary for simple backups. A backup device can be very small, almost like an SD card and plug into a charger.
    Apple's explanation would of course be that the reason iOS is so stable is due to the closed file system and gated App Store.  Yet my Mac is rock solid despite running software from outside Apple's gated community, so I don't buy that argument.

The Mac and iOS platforms are different. iOS doesn't give you the same level of control to be able to fix a problem that may be caused by a malicious app:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/08/11/surveillance-leak-shows-spyware-loves-android-but-cant-infect-iphones
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/04/140408111435.htm

"Researchers show now that infection rates in Android devices at around 0.25 per cent are significantly higher than the previous independent estimate."

Process viewer, command line, permissions, filesystem all become needed more once the App Store is opened up. Sure the Mac is stable but it has all those things to back it up. Apple made the decision not to burden 800m people with those things for the small minority of people who would need them.
  • Reply 43 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post

Just a warning:  there are reports of iExplorer bricking people's iPhones due to flakey behavior during backups and file access.  There are lots of other alternatives, I use iMazing (formerly DiskAid), for which no reports exist of it hosing iPhones.  

Thanks very much for commenting on that. I have often wondered if some of these apps for exploring and manipulating iPhone's were risky to use. I have thought that they actually do a form of modified temporary jailbreaking (sorry if I'm misusing this term). I've kind of been hesitant to try one of them. I'll have to look at iMazing now.

• Reply 44 of 49
    sgmorr wrote: »

Thanks very much for commenting on that. I have often wondered if some of these apps for exploring and manipulating iPhone's were risky to use. I have thought that they actually do a form of modified temporary jailbreaking (sorry if I'm misusing this term). I've kind of been hesitant to try one of them. I'll have to look at iMazing now.

I haven't had any problems with iExplorer. I only use it sparingly, but it's the only way to get voice messages off the iPhone. With Yosemite, SMS messages will come to iMessage, so I won't need to use it for text messages.
  • Reply 45 of 49

Hey BSkinn,

Thanks for the question. After reviewing your post, it sounds like you want to transfer content to a new device. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to 

help you resolve or isolate the issue.

Transfer content from an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to a new device iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Have a nice day,

Mario

• Reply 46 of 49
    Personally, i won't restore all my data onto new iPhone 6 or 6 Plus. I'd prefer to keed a backup of the old data and use the new phone as a real new iPhone. So how to get rid of the old data? Delete IT? Certainly not! Just backup the old data on computer, then every time you need to use it, just check it from your computer, it is safe and won't take up your new phone's space. Perfect!
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 47 of 49

If you have a new iphone and your are trying to tranfer your old iphone data to your new iphone, then you just need to 1) create a backup of your old iPhone via iTunes (this is already probably done as with each sync, iTunes would backup your iphone data, like contacts, settings, etc) and 2) restore your new iPhone from the backup you created. This willow you access of your old iphone data and move it onto your new iPhone 6/6Plus.

• Reply 48 of 49

You can hire iCloud to transfer data from iPhone to iPhone. 

Tap "Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup"> "Back Up Now" on the old one.

Then, set up the new device and select "Restore from iCoud backup".

Sign in with the same passcode to regain the old data.

Thus, you can finish transferring data from iPhone to new iPhone 6/6 Plus.