Support for Verizon's VoLTE 'HD Voice' and video calls confirmed for iPhone 6 & iPhone 6 Plus

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Now that I see the 6 Plus next to the iPad mini and VoIP , VoLTE, et al are enabled, why can't the iPads be used as phones? Besides Apples arbitrary decision to dictate the size of a device they manufacture that can be used as a phone. It seems to allow LTE voice calls, one MUST be able to use the device hands free. I just don't get it. Now that Apple has jumped the shark with the 6 Plus, why have any restrictions now on what can be used as a phone? If it has an LTE radio, let it make and receive cellular phone calls and texts. Unless Apple is afraid of cannibalization? But surely Tim Cook has assured us he's not afraid any of Apples unique products doing that?

Because you're one of three people on the planet who wants that, maybe?

Ugh.  The iPhone 6 is way too big, the 6 plus is stupid big.  Only an idiot would want to hold an iPad up to his head.

• Reply 22 of 56
    darkvader wrote: »
    They should have switched to GSM years ago.

They did. In fact, you could even say Verizon has been long term on the evolution of GSM.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    It's a perfectly fair comparison.

GSM can do it, CDMA can't.  GSM is the world standard, CDMA isn't.  GSM uses SIM cards, making it easy to switch phones, CDMA doesn't. 

There is no valid reason Verizon should be using CDMA.  They should have switched to GSM years ago.  It's why there is no chance I'd ever use Verizon.

Though it has its limitations, CDMA is superior to GSM in a several ways.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    The iPhone 6 is way too big, the 6 plus is stupid big.  Only an idiot would want to hold an iPad up to his head.
    Again, the apologists say most people won't hold the iPhone 6 plus up to their head, but use headphones, Bluetooth, speaker, etc. if this is in fact the case, then why not enable the software in the iPads to make and receive calls as well? The hardware is all there as far as I know. Why not make it an option for those who want it?

I certainly don't. In fact I'm getting a 5s to upgrade my 4. But I've read about many mini owners asking for it, here and elsewhere, and some iPad owners before that. I'm sure it's the same people who love the phablet design of the 6 Plus and stayed up late to pre-order one.

All I'm saying is why should Apple be so arbitrary, if all that's involved is enabling it?
  • Reply 25 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

It's a perfectly fair comparison.

GSM can do it, CDMA can't.  GSM is the world standard, CDMA isn't.  GSM uses SIM cards, making it easy to switch phones, CDMA doesn't. 

There is no valid reason Verizon should be using CDMA.  They should have switched to GSM years ago.  It's why there is no chance I'd ever use Verizon.

DarkVader,

Question for you: Is the reason you wouldn't use Verizon because CDMA does not use a SIM card?

As a note, all LTE phones use SIM cards today (including Verizon).

• Reply 26 of 56
    ralfan01 wrote: »
    As a note, all LTE phones use SIM cards today (including Verizon).

Yes but the LTE SIM only handles data right now. Voice calls are still handled by the CDMA network. VoLTE would be the first step in eliminating the CDMA network.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yes but the LTE SIM only handles data right now. Voice calls are still handled by the CDMA network. VoLTE would be the first step in eliminating the CDMA network.

Yes, that is correct. I am aware of this and agree that VoLTE is the first step in eliminating the CDMA network.

• Reply 28 of 56
    Originally Posted by geochief View Post

TheWhiteFalcon, they specifically exempt VoLTE usage from your data usage quota.

Originally Posted by southpawtech View Post

Rich: With the HD voice calls, you are only billed for minutes of use. If you are using the video calling, then you would be billed for both minutes and data 

Rich: Although the voice calls are over the LTE network, it does not bill you for data as long as you are not doing the video call.

Rich: …the voice only calls, just counts towards your minutes

Yes you'll be using data, but not from your allotted data.

I was explicitly told otherwise by multiple Verizon representatives today.

• Reply 29 of 56

Reps are many times not correctly informed.

Go to #6

http://m-support.verizonwireless.com/mobl/features.faqs_faqs|WirelessService|AdvancedCalling.tp_2.html
  • Reply 30 of 56

Go to #6

HAHAHAHAHAHAH! YES! That’s wonderful. Talk about misinformed.

• Reply 31 of 56

Sounds like no matter what they tell you, get it in writing.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    Sounds like no matter what they tell you, get it in writing.

It is in writing.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    bingo1 wrote: »
    jd_in_sb. Simultaneous iPhone voice and data has nothing to do with VoLTE. Ever notice your LTE wording changes to 4G when you get an incoming call? Pay attention then you'll know you are not on the LTE network when the phone call comes in. That means your network speed instantly drops from LTE to 4G, which is not LTE. What Verizon is enabling now is a pure VoLTE function. As long as an iPhone 6 or 6 is on the LTE network, the phone can handle both call/voice and data on LTE network.

Read more about your 7 year old AT&T network here. http://www.lightreading.com/atandts-rinne-carriers-working-on-volte-interoperability/d/d-id/710746.

Without reading your link what you say makes sense. I've noticed that myself. Regarding the thing switching to 4G during calls. Well let's hope AT&T gets with the program sooner rather than later.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    gilly33 wrote: »
    Without reading your link what you say makes sense. I've noticed that myself. Regarding the thing switching to 4G during calls. Well let's hope AT&T gets with the program sooner rather than later.

Not one single carrier uses LTE for phone calls. It's used purely for data.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    VoLTE actually does have a correlation with simultaneous voice and data. Pre-VoLTE, the voice channel was carried over the CDMA or GSM network, even if LTE data was being used. GSM devices are able to support doing both at the same time; CDMA aren't. I can't remember off-hand why. VoLTE moves the voice onto the LTE data network, actually it's VoIP over LTE. This frees up the GSM/CDMA bands and the devices become purely data. For Verizon's customers that leave Verizon's LTE network coverage, their devices will naturally downgrade to CDMA, which will introduce the issue again.

It will be interesting to see who comes out on top. While Verizon has been the king of voice coverage, AT&T's data network has been seen as superior. And that's the direction everything is going. But unlike Verizon, AT&T has a broad spectrum of products that it has to continually invest in.

Also, to clear up those who are confusing VoLTE with Wifi-calling, AT&T released VoLTE two days after T-mobile, I believe. Wifi-calling is supposedly scheduled for 2015.
  • Reply 36 of 56

I'll point out that flagship Android phones on Verizon have been able to do simultaneous voice and data for a couple of years now without using VoLTE. They have an extra LTE antenna for this purpose, but Apple didn't think it necessary to include one.

• Reply 37 of 56

I'm not surprised. Verizon needs to bend over, grab their ears, and pull their heads out of their asses.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Now that I see the 6 Plus next to the iPad mini and VoIP , VoLTE, et al are enabled, why can't the iPads be used as phones? Besides Apples arbitrary decision to dictate the size of a device they manufacture that can be used as a phone. It seems to allow LTE voice calls, one MUST be able to use the device hands free. I just don't get it. Now that Apple has jumped the shark with the 6 Plus, why have any restrictions now on what can be used as a phone? If it has an LTE radio, let it make and receive cellular phone calls and texts. Unless Apple is afraid of cannibalization? But surely Tim Cook has assured us he's not afraid any of Apples unique products doing that?

Besides FaceTime for calling other iDevice users, you can already use various VOIP apps to give your iPad the functions of a traditional phone. For example Hangouts lets you place calls and send texts to telephone numbers, and if you also have a google voice number, you can receive calls and texts to that number on any device using the app (or on your computer using your browser).

• Reply 39 of 56
    Originally Posted by Panoptician View Post

I'll point out that flagship Android phones on Verizon have been able to do simultaneous voice and data for a couple of years now without using VoLTE. They have an extra LTE antenna for this purpose, but Apple didn't think it necessary to include one.

I’ll point out that you don’t have a clue what is being discussed here.

• Reply 40 of 56
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    you can already use various VOIP apps to give your iPad the functions of a traditional phone.
    Exactly, so what's the hangup over allowing the iPad hardware to make and receive cell phone calls?

The 6 plus already doe sings with its screen that neither the iPhones nor the iPads can do. So now there's three discreet software packages Apple has to support (not counting the Touch). So my feeling is, just make iOS universal with respect to the phone and let the consumer decide if the 6 Plus is as big as they want to go with a phone.

This is as arbitrary to me as Apple not including the same Calculator App on the iPad as they do on the phone -- so what, people who use iPads shouldn't need a calculator, or is Apple saying people should only use their phones for that?