Next-gen USB 3.1 Type-C connector will support DisplayPort, 5K video output

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 67
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    [QUOTE name="Benjamin Frost" url="/t/182437/next-gen-usb-3-1-type-c-connector-will-support-displayport-5k-video-output/40#post_2604427"]
    I'm not the first person here to observe that when you say that you don't treat your cables like a baby, it suggests that you are thoughtless in your handling of them.
    [/QUOTE]
    It really doesn't. There's a gulf the size of Texas between babying and abusing. Pretty weird that you can't appreciate that.  I don't baby my girlfriend either, but that doesn't mean I bash her about.

[QUOTE name="Benjamin Frost" url="/t/182437/next-gen-usb-3-1-type-c-connector-will-support-displayport-5k-video-output/40#post_2604427"]
    SO that directly contradicts your assertion that you don't treat your cables particularly badly.
    [/QUOTE]
    Not at all. I don't treat them particularly badly, but I don't treat them like a baby. They're cables, not vulnerable infants that require delicacy. They should be able to take a little bit of tug here and there. In my experience Apple USB-Lightning and USB-Dock cables fray very, very quickly, much more than any other cables I've come across.

You say you're not crying, and yet go out of your way to criticise Apple cables.
    [/QUOTE]
    Do you not understand nuance? Are you seriously saying that people can't complain or make a critical point without the implicit suggestion that they are "crying"? Ridiculous. [I]You're[/I] crying about my contributions.

You say you're not buying Apple cables, yet you have obviously used them, so you are buying Apple cables.
    [/QUOTE]
    Are you feeling well today?  [COLOR=000000]How would I be able to complain about Apple cables if I've never used them?[/COLOR] [I]Obviously[/I] I've used Apple cables in the past, they come in the box with iPods, iPhones and iPads, all of which I've bought.  And they don't last for long, which is why I don't buy replacement cables from Apple.  How is that not obvious?  How can you [I]possibly[/I] think this is a point of any interest or insight?

I prefer to have a single face, rather than two.

[/QUOTE]
    You're accusing me of being two faced now?  Over what?  Is there [I]any[/I] rhyme or reason to your yammerings.

Your single face isn't all that pretty, given that you've made no real contribution to the subject of USB3.1, or the tangent on the quality of Apple cables, preferring to focus on me in your inimitable weird stalkery trolling style.
  • Reply 62 of 67
    So USB is just doing exactly what Thunderbolt has already done for four years.

Great going, morons.
    USB 3.1 Type C will be able to do something else, however, that Thunderbolt has never managed to do.

Get people to actually use it.
  • Reply 63 of 67

This won't kill Thunderbolt.  Thunderbolt is still a good standard, and Thunderbolt 2 is twice as fast as USB 3.1 - and it's only going to get faster.

It will kill Apple's stupid proprietary Lightning connector, though.  And good riddance, it never should have been developed in the first place.  And what's worse, Apple knew they shouldn't have done it, they were part of the consortium that picked the micro USB connector as a standard in Europe. 

At least it'll be illegal to sell a phone with a Lightning connector in Europe soon.

• Reply 64 of 67
    Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

It will kill Apple's stupid proprietary Lightning connector, though.  And good riddance, it never should have been developed in the first place.  And what's worse, Apple knew they shouldn't have done it, they were part of the consortium that picked the micro USB connector as a standard in Europe. At least it'll be illegal to sell a phone with a Lightning connector in Europe soon.

Nope.

• Reply 65 of 67
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Learn to look after your Apple cables and you won't need to replace them.

Which is a totally asinine statement. You can only believe that Apples cabling is high quality if you haven't experienced any alternatives.
  • Reply 66 of 67
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

USB 3.1 is coming to TVs as well. Note this:

Quote:

The new USB connector is expected in some mobile devices by the end of next year, with widespread adoption expected to begin in 2016.

Huh? I thought the first devices with 3.1 were to be out by the end of this year?

Has it been delayed again? Will we actually see Thunderbolt 3 before the new USB?

• Reply 67 of 67
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    frank777 wrote: »
    USB 3.1 is coming to TVs as well. Note this:
     The new USB connector is expected in some mobile devices by the end of next year, with widespread adoption expected to begin in 2016.

Huh? I thought the first devices with 3.1 were to be out by the end of this year?

Has it been delayed again? Will we actually see Thunderbolt 3 before the new USB?

Thunderbolt 3 is due with Skylake, which this site says is 2015 but Broadwell is 2015:

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/after-usb-3-1s-new-connector-comes-thunderbolt-3s/
    http://chinese.vr-zone.com/109297/bandwidth-upto-40gbs-new-gen-thunderbolt-alpine-ridge-spec-shown-19042014/

I could see Broadwell machines in 2015 coming with USB type-C. Thunderbolt 3 goes to 40Gbps and it has a USB 3 mode so you should be able to plug USB 3 devices into the Thunderbolt port using a Thunderbolt to USB cable. I'm not sure why it still has displayport 1.2 and not 1.3 but it says it'll do dual 4K on one cable so it'll have enough bandwidth to support 5K displays. Maybe Intel will make a revision for Broadwell to allow TB2 ports to support 5K via pass-through. I don't think driving displays over USB will be an option for Apple as they'd switch it to TB3 later on. If it can do it via both, that would be fine. On a machine with 2x TB3 and 2x USB-C, you'd have 4x USB 3 ports or 4x display outputs and any combination of each, which is really all anybody needs.

It's a shame USB C couldn't just be TB 3 and run at 40Gbps and support PCIe.