Video demonstrates reported iPhone 6 Plus bending issues

Comments

• Reply 21 of 543
    The iPhone is a good phone anything can bend with wright. What is bad is the SAR rating of 1.58. That's something to worry about.[URL=http://www.saferemr.com/2014/09/iphone-6-sar-radiation-levels-and.html?m=1] [/URL]
  • Reply 22 of 543
    Putting a 6 in your front pocket can be done but few are going to say it's a good idea.
  • Reply 23 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Overwhelming number of people? Where are all these people experiencing this issue?

How about overwhelming press.

• Reply 24 of 543
    The small 5s also bent. How much more this thin 5.5 iPhone 6+

Why do hell this people put huge phone on thier back pocket?
  • Reply 25 of 543
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    hmurchison wrote: »
    Putting a 6 in your front pocket can be done but few are going to say it's a good idea.

I'm not sure how anyone could comfortably put a 6 Plus in front jeans pockets. Cargo pants or maybe dress slacks with deep pockets is another story but if you have it in your front pocket and aren't sitting down I don't see how the phone dould bend. And I don't see how anyone could comfortably sit with this phone in their front pocket.
  • Reply 26 of 543
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    How about overwhelming press.
    Overwhelming members of the press are experiencing this with their iPhones? Or they're just reporting on it because it's good click bait just like antennagate and scuffgate were?
  • Reply 27 of 543
    As a new iPhone 6 Plus owner...I have to admit this is pretty troubling.  I imagine keeping your phone in a case SHOULD help with this situation, but for the price of the phone this is pretty unacceptable.  Hopefully Apple addresses this concern, soon, as I intend to carry my phone in my front pocket (pretty obviously). 

This may be cause for Apple to supply all plus owners with a free protective case to withstand the bend...

If they don't answer to this at all, I would be really shocked.  Especially considering the overwhelming number of people experiencing the issue.  I've been lucky enough not to yet, but I'm definitely not taking any risks. 
    As a new iPhone 6 Plus owner...I have to admit this is pretty troubling.  I imagine keeping your phone in a case SHOULD help with this situation, but for the price of the phone this is pretty unacceptable.  Hopefully Apple addresses this concern, soon, as I intend to carry my phone in my front pocket (pretty obviously). 

This may be cause for Apple to supply all plus owners with a free protective case to withstand the bend...

If they don't answer to this at all, I would be really shocked.  Especially considering the overwhelming number of people experiencing the issue.  I've been lucky enough not to yet, but I'm definitely not taking any risks. 
    Time to put on your big boy pants and not expect Apple to protect you from every childish stupidity. If you want "big" and you don't want "heavy", you learn to live with "thin" and its relative fragility. At $950 for the 128, if you want to carry it in your pocket, you'd better upgrade your wardrobe with large-enough pockets, and pants not too tight. And don't expect to have it in your pocket while playing contact sports.
  • Reply 28 of 543
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

this happens every time iPhone is released.  last time it was someone demonstrating how its possible to copy fingerprints and fool touch ID.  Now its people trying to bend phones. Anything to get some media attention.  how come no one is bending iPad mini's or Macbook Airs?

• Reply 29 of 543
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Johnny Ive's obsession with thinness strikes again.
  • Reply 30 of 543
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I think you provide proof as to how far the educational system in the USA has fallen.
    As a new iPhone 6 Plus owner...I have to admit this is pretty troubling.  

It isn't troubling at all, it is simple physics. Did you not learn about levers and fulcrums in grade school?

I imagine keeping your phone in a case SHOULD help with this situation,
    Seriously how would a case help? A hard case might help but then you won't be carrying around in your pockets.
    but for the price of the phone this is pretty unacceptable.  Hopefully Apple addresses this concern, soon, as I intend to carry my phone in my front pocket (pretty obviously). 
    You have no evidence that the problem is as bad as some are implying. The fact is given enough leverage you can bend anything.
    Not even remotely practical.
    If they don't answer to this at all, I would be really shocked.  
    Why should they? The phone isn't defective rather there is a lot of user stupidity out there and bunch of people jumping on the bandwagon.
    Especially considering the overwhelming number of people experiencing the issue.  
    What a few posts on the Internet. Most of those posts from people that bent the phone on purpose.
    I've been lucky enough not to yet, but I'm definitely not taking any risks. 

In the end I'm not sure how to take your post. Apple can not defeat the laws Of physics, you can bend or break just about anything under the right conditions. Finding the weakest point in a device and then using that as your fulcrum to show how easy it is to break the object is just sleazy because it exploits the simpletons that can't think for themselves.

I'm on record as being more interested in an iPhone 4 sized machine as opposed to these monster devices. If somebody out there is interested in something bigger I don't hold it against them but at the same time I would expect that they understand the real limitations of these large devices. By definition they are not the mechanical marvels you might think they are.
  • Reply 31 of 543
    Bendghazi.
  • Reply 32 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Overwhelming members of the press are experiencing this with their iPhones? Or they're just reporting on it because it's good click bait just like antennagate and scuffgate were?

This story is everywhere right now.

• Reply 33 of 543

Front pocket of the pants, definitely will put serious pressure on a phone this wide. Especially when you sit down. Why the author is troubled by this just shows how stupid some expectations can be. It is a wide phone, with a thin aluminum shell. Furthermore, heat will also affect the structure. Get a flippin' Otterbox and eat the fact that the price of the gadget does not exempt it from the laws of Physics. Apple's response will probably be a free stiff case. And some heads rolling. Maybe even Jony's. What kind of research did these guys do? This is simple daily use stuff.

• Reply 34 of 543

News Flash ....

South Korean newspapers just announced Samsung has purchased a few iPhone 6 and 6+ for their next anti-Apple Ad called .... Apple Fan Boys: how do you enjoy your bendable iPhones!

:smokey: 

P.S. On another note, there's a reason for that Health App ... Eat Less! (No Offence!)

P.S.S. Treat your iPhone same like your baby ... or your GF!

P.S.S.S. You bend it WRONG!

• Reply 35 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

this happens every time iPhone is released.  last time it was someone demonstrating how its possible to copy fingerprints and fool touch ID.  Now its people trying to bend phones. Anything to get some media attention.  how come no one is bending iPad mini's or Macbook Airs?

Hmmmm... I'm going to see if I can get an iPad Mini into one of my pockets.

I'll let you know how it goes.

• Reply 36 of 543
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Marvin wrote: »
    The temperature in the pocket after long periods of time makes it easier to bend the metal, especially if the device has been running hot itself.

Err... No. Melting point of aluminium: 660C. Your pocket: 37C.
  • Reply 37 of 543

"for the sake of science"

I cringed every time the squeaky d-bag says that.... like he's risking his life or something!

$10 says he now tried to return it to Apple as defective.

• Reply 38 of 543
    Yes, gotta agree the ever thinning phone is not the greatest idea. At some point until we get truly flexible phones you need enough structure to hold up.
  • Reply 39 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

News Flash ....

South Korean newspapers just announced Samsung has purchased a few iPhone 6 and 6+ for their next anti-Apple Ad called .... Apple Fan Boys: how do you enjoy your bendable iPhones!

:smokey: 

Believe me... Samsung will have an ad comparing their curved phones to Apple's bending phones.

• Reply 40 of 543
    Weird how it's only affecting the 6 and not the 6. Guess it's just the larger footprint?