Video demonstrates reported iPhone 6 Plus bending issues

Comments

• Reply 141 of 543
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member

This is a pretty massive beat-up. This is definitely user error. You just have to look at the way news agencies are reporting it and the intensity of opportunistic schadenfreude in the comment section to see we've now entered the twilight zone of internet fanboy-ism. There are people who have been frothing at the mouth to beseige Apple with the next antenna-gate.

That said I'm not a fan of Apple using of aluminium as a material. Yes it's light and inexpensive but it's also very soft and prone to scuffing, and predisposes the phone to structural deformities at forces close to those it can be expected t encounter during normal operational use. I love the stainless steel construction of my iPhone 4S and I'd happily accept the added weight/expense of a material like stainless steel or titanium. The new Apple logo is liquid metal - maybe this is a real world road test ahead of a broader rollout???

• Reply 142 of 543
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

That is exactly what I was thinking - It would be very uncomfortable  to sit with any 5.5 phone in front jean pocket for a long time. Didn't anyone test this out with Samsung's phone? What is going to happen when Samsung comes out with their Mega, which is 6.2 inches? Secondly, everyone yelled and scream that Apple is going downhill as they don't have large screen phone. Now that they have one and it is breaking sales record, people are coming out with non practical stunts like this and suggesting Apple shouldn't have made this phone!

Well- they shouldn't because it a Samsuck clone.

• Reply 143 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I put my phone in my pants pocket and it didn't bend. I'm not sure what other people are doing to force their phones into bending. 

Maybe they have hotter thighs?

• Reply 144 of 543
    tundraboy wrote: »
    The guy's hands are trembling as he applies force to the phone.  Moderate force my ass.  Now do the same thing (apply force to the point that your hands are trembling) to other phones and see if the results are significantly different.  
    This was my observation, as well. I doubt you can apply that much pressure sitting without it being extremely uncomfortable--uncomfortable enough for even careless idiots to realize that it may do damage to whatever is in their pocket or their leg.

The other thing that seemed odd to me about the video is that he did it with his bare hands. To me it seems odd that he wasn't concerned that the glass might shatter and cut him. Maybe it's just me...
  • Reply 145 of 543
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    radster360 wrote: »

That is exactly what I was thinking - It would be very uncomfortable  to sit with any 5.5 phone in front jean pocket for a long time. Didn't anyone test this out with Samsung's phone? What is going to happen when Samsung comes out with their Mega, which is 6.2 inches? Secondly, everyone yelled and scream that Apple is going downhill as they don't have large screen phone. Now that they have one and it is breaking sales record, people are coming out with non practical stunts like this and suggesting Apple shouldn't have made this phone!
    The only way for the phone to bend is to have pressure applied at certain stress points. If it comfortably fits in your pocket where is the pressure being applied? And who is going to wear something in their pocket that isn't comfortable?
  • Reply 146 of 543
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

This is a pretty massive beat-up. This is definitely user error. You just have to look at the way news agencies are reporting it and the intensity of opportunistic schadenfreude in the comment section to see we've now entered the twilight zone of internet fanboy-ism. There are people who have been frothing at the mouth to beseige Apple with the next antenna-gate.

That said I'm not a fan of Apple using of aluminium as a material. Yes it's light and inexpensive but it's also very soft and prone to scuffing, and predisposes the phone to structural deformities at forces close to those it can be expected t encounter during normal operational use. I love the stainless steel construction of my iPhone 4S and I'd happily accept the added weight/expense of a material like stainless steel or titanium. The new Apple logo is liquid metal - maybe this is a real world road test ahead of a broader rollout???

Exactly and that is why I will wait for a 6Plus S?

Or is it 6S Plus?

• Reply 147 of 543
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    Now if it folded in half, it would be a flip phone!

That you can flip to China. ????
  • Reply 148 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

Wow, Samsung is going to have a field day with this one

That would be a perfect idea for a commercial against Apple :)

• Reply 149 of 543
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

In agreement with another post, I also noticed the guy's hands trembling. No one would apply that much force by accident in real life.

Actually, in a tight / short pocket with the phone straddling your hip crease... between your hip and thigh... sitting down would apply much MORE force than you could ever apply with your hands. Think about how much your upper body weighs. 

• Reply 150 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

Wow, Samsung is going to have a field day with this one

Apple is going to get some heat for this now.

• Reply 151 of 543
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    ibeam wrote: »
    Except a holster totally conflicts with fastening an automobile seat belt. So when you get in the car you have to take off the holster and remember to put it back on later. You do have one thing right though..."this phone should never go in your pocket." Maybe it should be treated like an iPad mini and just carry it around.

Perfectly OK to put the iPhone 6+ in your jeans pocket (even skinny jeans) as shown in a video posted up by DED here at AI a few days ago.
    [VIDEO]
  • Reply 152 of 543
    Quote:

LMAO! When I buy a $750+ device it had better be bend proof and microwavable. 

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!

• Reply 153 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

I'm a big phone connoisseur and have owned the Note 3, Galaxy Mega, 6 Plus, and monster that trumps them all, the Xperia Z Ultra. Note 3 is easily the most comfortable in hand and in pocket with the 6 Plus lagging a little behind because it's wide top and bottom bezels. The Mega is frankly not much longer than the 6 Plus since it has very small bezels and is slightly too large for daily use. The  Z Ultra is pretty much unusable to me as a "daily driven" phone.

• Reply 154 of 543
    I've owned a Note 3 for over a year and a 6 Plus since Friday. No bending problems with either one yet lol.

You're not bending it right.
  • Reply 155 of 543

The guy was apparently just sitting normally with the phone in his front pocket...

• Reply 156 of 543
    adonissmu wrote: »
    radster360 wrote: »

Most of the Asian, who wants the 5.5 phones are tiny, and they wouldn't be putting this  phone in any pocket - They carry men purses or men shoulder slings! Ethnic pun not intended! This is the fact.

And like many folks mentioned here - iPhone 6+ is not a pant pocket phone!
    I put my phone in my pants pocket and it didn't bend. I'm not sure what other people are doing to force their phones into bending. 

Watch The Matrix for some pointers.
  • Reply 157 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Maybe they have hotter thighs?

I have hotter holes... 

• Reply 158 of 543
    Quote:

I have hotter holes... 

LOLOLOL

Is that where yours went?

• Reply 159 of 543
    <p style="font:12px Helvetica;margin:0px 0px 0px 0px;"> </p>

Silence is golden.
  • Reply 160 of 543
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

Except a holster totally conflicts with fastening an automobile seat belt. So when you get in the car you have to take off the holster and remember to put it back on later. You do have one thing right though..."this phone should never go in your pocket." Maybe it should be treated like an iPad mini and just carry it around.

Not in Australia it doesn't the seatbelt ends up buckling on the driver's left hand side.

I use a dock in my car, some of the time lapse videos I've captured are pretty cool.

The stupid size of these "phablets" from any manufacturer is why I went with the 6, after all who wants to walk into a pole during a call, when your vision is obscured by holding one of these behemoths to the side of your face.