In-depth review: Apple's 4.7-inch iPhone 6 running iOS 8

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post



     My wife still uses her ipod, but she don't understand how to work that clickwhiel.



    [… rant]



    My GF's Android phone has a significantly better camera, with 16MP large aperture and shoots large image files

    I think I see where the problem is...

  • Reply 42 of 66
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    So stupid.

    The drink is over full, so the turkey just storms out and runs away? Just drink a little off the top! Or heck, ask for a new one!

    Stupid spoiled brat turkeys. So sick of 'em.
  • Reply 43 of 66
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,797member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    I don't.  How can the best phone on the planet get 4/5?  So there isn't a single phone on earth that's a 5/5?  Why even rate it on a five star scale if you are not going to give the best phone a 5?

     


     

    I understand the reasons concerning the forehead and chin bezels.  Moreso when it comes to the chin, personally I find the enormous forehead far uglier than an iPhone that was asymmetrical with a narrower forehead but simply personal preference. Certainly the LG solution was not the answer either. But that really is not a big deal for me.

     

    The reason I gave it 4 and not 5 stars was due to the fact that they really should have given us a better FaceTime camera. Yes I know it is improved over the 5s but not really enough. I take a lot of selfies and the quality simply is not as good as other phones. 1.2MP is simply an embarrassment in 2014. I also think they should have included recording in 4K video. The quality of video capture really is lagging and a sore point for me since I have a 4K TV now. I would have liked a speed bump above 25% over the 5S as well. I am not trying to nit pick and I think it is a great phone but they honestly went cheap on a few things needlessly.  Still a great phone. now iOS 8 updates is another story...they are really messing that up. 

  • Reply 44 of 66
    I've been thrilled with my 6, but for some reason wifi on my phone is terrible. My wifes 6 that came in on Monday is the same. Tried wifi at work, same intermittent dropping. So I've just turned it off as LTE works just as well if not better.

    Other than that minor issue, the 6 has hit it out of the park in all other aspects.
  • Reply 45 of 66
    [QUOTE]For iPhone 6 Plus in particular, those extra pixels can enable iPad-like user interface elements on the screen, including multiple columns of messages in Mail or Messages. [/QUOTE]

    Just a note about something people keep propagating that is simply false regarding the iPhone 6 and 6 . And that is UI elements in the 6 being enabled by more pixels! Given my iPad 2 has the same number of "pixels" as the iPhone 6, I don't buy this argument. The iPad retinas have the same UI as my iPad 2. Nothing more The argument should actually be about "screen size or real-estate; not pixel numbers.

    One another point, though others have been over this time and again already. The iPhone 6 is retina for "normal human" eyesight beyond 9 inches! Now, while I realise that all android users, and most that read AI, are super-people, the reality is that for normal usage, where the phone is held at "bent" arms length (no closer than 15"), you are effectively throwing away about 40% of your pixels. So that individual would need to have 20/12 vision or better. For iPhone 6 Plus in particular, those extra pixels can enable iPad-like user interface elements on the screen, including multiple columns of messages in Mail or Messages.

    Just a note about something people keep propagating that is simply false regarding the iPhone 6 and 6 . And that is UI elements in the 6 being enabled by more pixels! Given my iPad 2 has the same number of "pixels" as the iPhone 6, I don't buy this argument. The iPad retinas have the same UI as my iPad 2. Nothing more The argument should actually be about "screen size or real-estate; not pixel numbers.

    One another point, though others have been over this time and again already. The iPhone 6 is retina for "normal human" eyesight beyond 9 inches! Now, while I realise that all android users, and most that read AI, are super-people, the reality is that for normal usage, where the phone is held at "bent" arms length (no closer than 15"), you are effectively throwing away about 40% of your pixels. So that individual would need to have sight. So in fact, all they are doing is entering into a spec pi..... contest. If that is what "floats their boat", great. But please don't try to delude others into thinking it really matters.
  • Reply 46 of 66
    Quote:


    For iPhone 6 Plus in particular, those extra pixels can enable iPad-like user interface elements on the screen, including multiple columns of messages in Mail or Messages. 


    Just a note about something people keep propagating that is simply false regarding the iPhone 6 and 6+. And that is UI elements in the 6+ being enabled by more pixels! Given my iPad 2 has the same number of "pixels" as the iPhone 6, I don't buy this argument. The iPad retinas have the same UI as my iPad 2. Nothing more The argument should actually be about "screen size or real-estate; not pixel numbers.

    One another point, though others have been over this time and again already. The iPhone 6+ is retina for "normal human" eyesight beyond 9 inches! Now, while  I realise that all android users, and most that read AI, are super-people, the reality is that for normal usage, where the phone is held at "bent" arms length (no closer than 15"), you are effectively throwing away about 40% of your pixels. So that individual would need to have 20/12 vision or better. <quote>For iPhone 6 Plus in particular, those extra pixels can enable iPad-like user interface elements on the screen, including multiple columns of messages in Mail or Messages. </quote>

    Just a note about something people keep propagating that is simply false regarding the iPhone 6 and 6+. And that is UI elements in the 6+ being enabled by more pixels! Given my iPad 2 has the same number of "pixels" as the iPhone 6, I don't buy this argument. The iPad retinas have the same UI as my iPad 2. Nothing more The argument should actually be about "screen size or real-estate; not pixel numbers.

    One another point, though others have been over this time and again already. The iPhone 6+ is retina for "normal human" eyesight beyond 9 inches! Now, while  I realise that all android users, and most that read AI, are super-people, the reality is that for normal usage, where the phone is held at "bent" arms length (no closer than 15"), you are effectively throwing away about 40% of your pixels. So that individual would need to have sight. So in fact, all they are doing is entering into a spec pi..... contest. If that is what "floats their boat", great. But please don't try to delude others into thinking it really matters.

  • Reply 47 of 66
    Why did AppleInsider let a known fanboy like DED review the new iPhone? I'm sorry but your website has enough more open minded authors to take on this task. DED is a known fanboy who will never be able to write an honest review. Something even moderators of this site have admitted to (even going as far as saying they are tired of reading his obviously biased pieces). Come on guys. There is no need to put a fanboy on this to defend the phones, both with their pro's and con's compared to the competition. Yet this review only gives minimum con's that don't give con's compared to the competition. Like it having almost the same footprint as the competition (f.e. LG G2) although it has a smaller screen size. They are good phones on their own (maybe not the best in everything but so be it that's reality) they don't need a fanboy to defend them.
  • Reply 48 of 66

    I just had a thought about the protruding camera, which I am still disappointed with, but will probably get over as I have a case that covers it. Anyway, this is still just a thought and will probably be put down but I wonder if apple are making lenses for the phone and the protruding camera was the easiest/most efficient way for alignment...

     

    I just did a quick test with a magnet and it does stick so a magnetic click on lens is possible. Just a thought.

     

     

     

    *edit: added most efficient

  • Reply 49 of 66

    Let me see now, is it his wife iPod and his Girl Friends iPhone? You should never take LSD before writing a post, or take a stupid pill!

  • Reply 50 of 66
    Originally Posted by Chipsy View Post

    I'm sorry but your website has enough more open minded authors to take on this task. DED is a known fanboy who will never be able to write an honest review.



    Are you really this dense or are you just pretending. That’s not even a question because I don’t care about the answer.

     

    If you think that a website called AppleInsider isn’t going to be run by fans of Apple, there’s no help for you.

  • Reply 51 of 66

    Are you really this dense or are you just pretending. That’s not even a question because I don’t care about the answer.

    If you think that a website called AppleInsider isn’t going to be run by fans of Apple, there’s no help for you.
    There's a difference between liking something and being a fanboy to the point of being unrealistic. DED definitely falls into the latter category and shouldn't write anything but editorials. And even those are questionable to the point that even AppleInsider's own moderators are getting tired of his fanboy rants.
  • Reply 52 of 66

    I always enjoy DED's pieces.  Yes, they're definitely biased, but so am I as a 30 year Apple customer.  That doesn't mean you can't perform a realistic review of Apple's stuff.  Apple's not perfect, and neither are their products.  But, Apple is focused on the user experience and consistently puts together the best overall configuration to provide that quality of service/experience.  Their duds are few and far between, and when they do come out with one, it's not because they're trying to screw over the customer for a few bucks, it's because they missed in their decision to what would provide the best experience for the most customers.  Oh, and occasionally they rush things too much.  But, such is life in the fast lane.

     

    I've no problem with DED performing reviews, and look forward to more.  Even his opinion articles are full of details that I've forgotten over the years, and are a joy to revisit.

  • Reply 53 of 66
    crowleycrowley Posts: 5,989member

    Seems kinda funny that the iPhone 6 and the 6+ can fit more app icons on Springboard than either iPad.

  • Reply 54 of 66
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

     

     

    But my whole point: is there a better phone on the market than the 6 right now?

     

    if not it should get a 5/5.

     

    Of course you could improve some hardware.  That's why they make a new phone every year.  You need to understand it is very expensive in non "S" years.  Whole new shell, whole new screens, CPU, ect.  Apple put the money in the parts that they considered the most important. 




    You can rate it 10 stars for all I care. Whether I think it is the best phone on the market or not I and the author are allowed to rate it however we feel. And just because a crappy restaurant may be the best in town (that market) and the food still sucks I don't rate it five stars either. Stop getting so bent out of shape just because some stranger chose to rate it 4 and not 5 stars. When it meets my idea of a 5 star phone I will let you know. 

  • Reply 55 of 66
    Yes yes yes, a sarcastic post yes. /s and a ¡ and all that. The article was just so good I didn't know what to respond with. So I thought it was time for a little fun. That was just some of the crazy stuff I've read over time which just had to be repeated. Loved the responses!
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Someone either hacked [@]PhilBoogie[/@]'s account, or I need some of the stuff he's taking.

    +1
    mr o wrote: »
    What do you mean? Didn't Tim Cook just released an open letter about Apple and Privacy?

    It is Google and Android that you should be worried about. They subsidize their phones by collecting and selling your data from the phone they sold you. 

    Tell me about it!
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Some of those cons... really aren't.

    No weather proofing?

    I had to do a double-take, unless a magnificent bit of trolling just happened and I missed it completely.

    Oh, and PhilBoogie is my AI Hero for the day.

    Love you back.
    mr o wrote: »
    I agree with waterproofing the iPhone.

    I disagree with your assessment of iOS 7/8. I find the color scheme cheerful. It is simple yet colorful and instant recognizable. I actually wish they transferred the iOS icons to OSX to create a more coherent feel.

    I still believe Apple shouldn't have taken the phablet route. Especially with their amazing Continuity technology around the corner. The Verge editor used to be a fan of Apple's phablet. After one week he is rightfully backtracking. The Apple phablet is a fad. A Samsung marketing gimmick.

    I agree that they shouldn't have done the 5.5" but hey, at some point even a company like Apple needs to give the people what they want. Because having to send those people to Android world was just something Apple couldn't bear, I guess.
    boredumb wrote: »
    I love you, Phil. You tell it like it is¡ I can side load all the warez I want on my Android (FTW) phone. Why can’t I do that on my now bent 6+?

    Warez! Should've used that as well!
    You 100% have to throw a visible /s on there. There aren’t many people who know about whitetexting.

    Kinda was my point. But yeah, nothing here...
    iqatedo wrote: »
    Okay, you really had me there. Clever but easy to miss!

    Had fun doing it!
    ibeam wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
     My wife still uses her ipod, but she don't understand how to work that clickwhiel.

    [… rant]

    My GF's Android phone has a significantly better camera, with 16MP large aperture and shoots large image files
    I think I see where the problem is...

    I screwed that one up; excellent eye for detail ibeam!
  • Reply 56 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post



    As a hardcore Apple user for the past 35 years it pains me to say, but Apple has lost it's monumentum. They wont ever come up with a Ribbon, or anything close to such a innovation. Now I have used many of their products, like ipod, eyePhone1, 2, 3.5 and 5. My wife still uses her ipod, but she don't understand how to work that clickwhiel.



    Sad to say but I think Apple are losing their grip on the smartphone market. For a start, I'd like to see a waterproof model. Can't see why Apple arent doing this when others are! As a professional adult male, I will NEVER load that chickish fugly looking color scheme on my iPhone



    For starters I said that millions and millions are willingly to pay good money for a bigger screen and that even shitty companies like HTC use bigger screens that beat the one used on the iPhone on every metric. Right or wrong? Its all more marketingy and less functionality.



    1B activations! Wow that's impressive. I prefer Android than my Iphone. Day and night in speed screen estate. My Iphone 5 can't compete with my nexus 4 quad core 2 gigs of ram. Plus I find it is really smart to use KitKat as a name.



    Apple TV is old. Apple Television should be out already. But no it won’t not. By the time they will release it it will be old news. If Steve was around it would have already been released. Sorry apple fanboys but whilst I had a great deal of respect for what apple have done in terms of design, integration and being first to market with emerging ideas, I have lost most of that respect when it comes to their approach to patents - the latest one isn't invention, it is the integration of a series of existing software techniques in order to perform a function (on a mobile device) - or as it would be termed if this was a piece of hardware "just an arrangement of parts".



    That HTC One though, oh so pretty. Also, the speakers on the front - why has Apple not done this? Makes complete sense. Were I Tim Cook, I'd be sorely tempted to .... license out iOS and OSX to Foxconn for a year



    Due to all those expensive stores Apple devices remain overly expensive and I feel their decline has already started, Once they are down and out all they remain is their stores that they cannot sell off nor will anyone buy that ridiculous circular office where I couldn’t find a desk for that would fit.



    I can only hope the cameras are better, because frankly, they are not very good in iPhone 5. My GF's Android phone has a significantly better camera, with 16MP large aperture and shoots large image files



    Let's remember that Apple is a representative of DARPA and the NSA. Their job is to release the candy coated versions of the snoop-ware before the others. Newer versions of the OS include new ways to spy on you and the last thing they want is for you to escape the net.



    I can't help to say that I don't feel the magic anymore...still love my Apple products but sure would be nice to get that Tech buzz again. Don't get me wrong, I think they've peaked; once Steve's pipeline is empty and all we have left is hipsterProducts, adiOS Apple, but that makes me sad as apple Iphone user.



    Yous all a bunch of snobs.Excellent write up DED!

     

    Just go to your Android pit, FANDROID!

     

    Oh, ok, now I saw what you did. Hilarious! XD

  • Reply 57 of 66
    lvidal wrote: »
    Just go to your Android pit, FANDROID!

    The whole post was a joke. [@]PhilBoogie[/@] is most certainly not a FANDROID.
  • Reply 58 of 66
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post





    The whole post was a joke. @PhilBoogie is most certainly not a FANDROID.

     

    Yes, I noticed and edited my comment :)

  • Reply 59 of 66
    There is no reason why a roughly 720p iPhone could not have been built earlier. Sticking with the small narrow screens over the last two years was a mistake.
    Apple's design team is addicted to thin and as something to be valued above all. To achieve this they have kept the same big bezels above and below the screen to give them more space for antennas and stuff. You do not need both big bezels from a functional standpoint and they make the phone taller than it needs to be, making it clumsier to handle. I wish they had not made it so thin and cut down on the bezel waste (sorry, it would have to be asymmetric Jony).
    Finally, at approximately 720p resolution, this is not a cutting edge display such as the iPhone 4 display was in 2010.
    Overall, this is the iPhone with more useful screen area that I have been waiting for. It is attractive. I will buy one. However, too much has been sacrificed at the altar of thinness to make it a truly great design. At some point Apple/Jony need to break with the past. See you in two more years.
  • Reply 60 of 66
    Originally Posted by drwam View Post

    Sticking with the small narrow screens over the last two years was a mistake.

     

    Under what definition of the word?

     

    You do not need both big bezels from a functional standpoint…


     

    Yes, I find that when using my device I want to be making random touches all the time that I didn’t intend to make.

     

    Finally, at approximately 720p resolution, this is not a cutting edge display such as the iPhone 4 display was in 2010.


     

    Blah blah blah. Learn WHY the iPhone 4’s screen was cutting edge, please.

Sign In or Register to comment.