Samsung openly admits 'positive reaction' to iPhone 6 Plus prompted early launch of Galaxy Note 4

1234568»

Comments

  • Reply 141 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post





    Ideas get traded around. Sammy outright copied Apple down to the packaging. You cannot deny that. Where was the fingerprint sensor on the Atrix? How did it work? Was it as simple as touching a button?

     

    No. The Atrix fingerprint sensor was back-middle-top, right behind the voice speaker. It was also the sleep/wake/power button. Usage was: push button to wake, then the finger that pushed it just slid off of it to scan the fingerprint. 

     

    Apple's TouchID is certainly nicer. They took the idea and evolved it to the next level. Pretty obvious evolution, but well handled.

  • Reply 142 of 158
    No. The Atrix fingerprint sensor was back-middle-top, right behind the voice speaker. It was also the sleep/wake/power button. Usage was: push button to wake, then the finger that pushed it just slid off of it to scan the fingerprint. 

    Apple's TouchID is certainly nicer. They took the idea and evolved it to the next level. Does this make sense to you?

    Pretty obvious evolution, but well handled.
    So since the Atrix how many more Android based smart phones have been released? How many of them have had a fingerprint sensor for ID? That works easily and reliably?

    Since Apple released the iPhone5S how many more smart phones have they released? How many with fingerprint sensor for ID? That works easily and reliably?

    If it is as pretty obvious of an evolutionary change as you state, then why aren't others evolving what Atrix had in to something obviously better and useful? Hmm?

    And you never explained what the heck you were plotting on your graph earlier. Obviously not yearly totals, which is what one would assume. Obviously not Last quarter of each year, where Apple sells most of it's phones and presumably Samsung as well. Where is the reference for the plot or the data in your earlier post?
  • Reply 143 of 158
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by baeder View Post





    So since the Atrix how many more Android based smart phones have been released? How many of them have had a fingerprint sensor for ID? That works easily and reliably?



    Since Apple released the iPhone5S how many more smart phones have they released? How many with fingerprint sensor for ID? That works easily and reliably?



    If it is as pretty obvious of an evolutionary change as you state, then why aren't others evolving what Atrix had in to something obviously better and useful? Hmm?



    And you never explained what the heck you were plotting on your graph earlier. Obviously not yearly totals, which is what one would assume. Obviously not Last quarter of each year, where Apple sells most of it's phones and presumably Samsung as well. Where is the reference for the plot or the data in your earlier post?

     

    What are you getting on about? Motorola had smartphone fingerprint unlock before Apple. Get over it.

     

    The graph is showing that Samsung's mobile sales are increasing. First chart I saw (of many) showing this.

  • Reply 144 of 158
    What are you getting on about? Motorola had smartphone fingerprint unlock before Apple. Get over it.

    The graph is showing that Samsung's mobile sales are increasing. First chart I saw (of many) showing this.

    I think you need to get over Motirola having fingerprint unlock first. Who cares? How well does it work on their newer phones I asked. How many phones that have come out since have fingerprint unlock for them? I don't know since you never answered that question for me.

    Apple is still the only smart phone manufacturer to have fingerprint unlock on all new phones. Hence it is not a gimmick. From all the reviews I have read all others are gimmicks. Prove me wrong. Show me a manufacturer that puts fingerprint ID on all new models. ...

    Source for the plot please, first of what many charts that show Samsung growing??? I only see one plot. If you didn't make it and you took it from somewhere else and aren't referencing it then that is plagiarism. What is the data? Otherwise I'll need to assume you entered random data in excel and made a chart.

    One more chance for a real reply please. Otherwise I'll ignore you from now on.
  • Reply 145 of 158
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by baeder View Post





    I think you need to get over Motirola having fingerprint unlock first. Who cares? How well does it work on their newer phones I asked. How many phones that have come out since have fingerprint unlock for them? I don't know since you never answered that question for me.



    Apple is still the only smart phone manufacturer to have fingerprint unlock on all new phones. Hence it is not a gimmick. From all the reviews I have read all others are gimmicks. Prove me wrong. Show me a manufacturer that puts fingerprint ID on all new models. ...



    Source for the plot please, first of what many charts that show Samsung growing??? I only see one plot. If you didn't make it and you took it from somewhere else and aren't referencing it then that is plagiarism. What is the data? Otherwise I'll need to assume you entered random data in excel and made a chart.



    One more chance for a real reply please. Otherwise I'll ignore you from now on.

     

    I'm not arguing the success of the feature, and I'm not sure why you are arguing against it.

     

    My point is that someone at Apple had access to an Atrix, tried it out, liked the concept, and designed a better solution. The assertion above (exercise left to the reader to find it) was that Apple didn't copy anything. I'm saying it's natural, accepted, and how things work.

     

    The Army program I was leading at the time ended up demanding the Atrix for deployment so their operators would have a quick way to unlock the phone so that they felt comfortable keeping it secured. This was on the path to allowing Classified data and apps onto phones. So, the Army bought around 1000 of them, and we had a few dozen for training and testing operations in theater. I recommended against the Atrix, and was pushing for an HTC at the time, citing that they'd have to pull off a glove for the fingerprint anyway, and the HTC was a better phone. iPhone was off the table b/c Apple wouldn't talk security with them (while there was already a TS-SCI level flavor of Android in process at a university).

  • Reply 146 of 158
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 is up for sale. Find top sites offering best prices & amazing deals on Galaxy Note 4 and latest Android phones only at bestandroidphonedeals(dot)com (Just replace the (dot) with the actual . )
  • Reply 147 of 158
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post



    At least Samsung gives kudos to where its due.



    Apple, on the other hand, flat out dismissed the Galaxy Note and the trend towards larger screens.



    We know what happened next....



    What kudos did Samsung give? I have not heard them praise the iPhone for anything, and intact they've denied they every copied the iPhone.

    They claimed they "innovate".

  • Reply 148 of 158
    nhtnht Posts: 4,521member
    According to my pole of iPhone buyers, the most popular iPhone is the 4.7 with 64GB of mass storage... and that's NOT due to the 6+ shortage.

    Well I would have gotten the 6+ if available since I was on the fence. I asked first and since it wasn't available I went with the 6 instead.

    There is little difference between my 5 and 6 in terms of pocket ability. But there is also little advantage over the 5 screen wise.
  • Reply 149 of 158
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 22,896member
    nht wrote: »
    Well I would have gotten the 6+ if available since I was on the fence. I asked first and since it wasn't available I went with the 6 instead.

    There is little difference between my 5 and 6 in terms of pocket ability. But there is also little advantage over the 5 screen wise.

    Getting harder to find but the 6+ is still available at some resellers.
    http://www.seaturtle.org/idevice/?zip=33801&part=MGCY2
  • Reply 150 of 158

    To watch Samsung trying to outshine Apple in terms of sales is interesting. This will be a good thing to keep an eye on.

  • Reply 151 of 158
    nhtnht Posts: 4,521member

    The Army program I was leading at the time ended up demanding the Atrix for deployment so their operators would have a quick way to unlock the phone so that they felt comfortable keeping it secured. This was on the path to allowing Classified data and apps onto phones. So, the Army bought around 1000 of them, and we had a few dozen for training and testing operations in theater. I recommended against the Atrix, and was pushing for an HTC at the time, citing that they'd have to pull off a glove for the fingerprint anyway, and the HTC was a better phone.

    iPhone was off the table b/c Apple wouldn't talk security with them (while there was already a TS-SCI level flavor of Android in process at a university).

    Yah and android security has been a major fail.

    Just like DoD's mobile initiatives have largely been a major fail. Like DISAs brilliant FUBAR with MDM and only able to support BES last year.

    And anyone can claim they have a TS/SCI solution in the lab. Getting it actually IA approved is then hard part.

    Frankly the army is not the branch to look at for a clue on IT acquisition. I used to think we were the hopelessly backward branch but after looking at the DCGS debacle I'm thinking not so much.
  • Reply 152 of 158
    nhtnht Posts: 4,521member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Getting harder to find but the 6+ is still available at some resellers.
    http://www.seaturtle.org/idevice/?zip=33801&part=MGCY2

    Honestly it wasn't quite big enough to justify the reduction in ability to fit in things. I held both mini and 6+ and the 6+ was small in comparison but didn't fit in very many things that the mini did not. It wasn't quite big enough to be iPad level of functionality.

    That said, if it had been available at the apple store I was at I'd have bought it anyway but it wasn't definitively better enough to go hunting for it.
  • Reply 153 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post





    Yah and android security has been a major fail.



    Just like DoD's mobile initiatives have largely been a major fail. Like DISAs brilliant FUBAR with MDM and only able to support BES last year.



    And anyone can claim they have a TS/SCI solution in the lab. Getting it actually IA approved is then hard part.



    Frankly the army is not the branch to look at for a clue on IT acquisition. I used to think we were the hopelessly backward branch but after looking at the DCGS debacle I'm thinking not so much.

     

    I wish I could comment further on the Army matter, but I'll throw you a thumbs up instead.

  • Reply 154 of 158
    galbi wrote: »
    At least Samsung gives kudos to where its due.

    Apple, on the other hand, flat out dismissed the Galaxy Note and the trend towards larger screens.

    We know what happened next....

    Of course. Samsung lost their case in court. Yeah, we remember that part.
  • Reply 155 of 158
    What the media buzz tells us about the iPhone 6 and Note 4 debate. Could this have led to the early launch in China?

    http://zignallabs.com/iphone-6-and-note-4-comparing-the-hype-and-the-truth/
  • Reply 156 of 158
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Hahahahaha... sorry, not laughing at you.

    So many times we get our ass handed to us when we assume things.

    Indeed.
  • Reply 157 of 158
    galbi wrote: »
    At least Samsung gives kudos to where its due.

    Copying Apple is not giving "Apple kduos when its[sic] due."
    Apple, on the other hand, flat out dismissed the Galaxy Note and the trend towards larger screens.

    1) Where did Apple flat out dismissed the Galaxy Note?

    2) The Galaxy Note was not the first smartphone that had a larger display. If you're going to go that route you need to go back to 2007 when Apple introduced the iPhone and people like you were saying it was too big and doesn't have a physical keyboard.

    3) You should look at Google's very own analytics for Android to see that 4.5+ displays are not very popular among Android-based devices. But the end of the year Apple could have more 4.5+ smartphones on the market than all Android-based devices ever sold, including tablet.
Sign In or Register to comment.