Apple to release iOS 8.0.2 in a 'few days,' offers instructions to downgrade

Comments

• Reply 81 of 110
    That's an unusually shortsighted opinion. Without Snowden's disclosures the massive highly unconstitutional "collect it all" policies currently in effect would not have been exposed, although it had long been suspected. If the Constitution and Bill of Rights are not important to you, you're either not an American or you've failed to connect some very large dots.
    To be honest, I don't believe widespread surveillance to find evidence of specific threats currently facing America is in fact trampling on people's rights. I can't say any harm has been done to any innocent American individual with this surveillance to gather intel whether nefarious cells are operating to destabilize America. The NSA aren't specifically targeting paedophiles or petty thieves, for example. The NSA is simply trying to avert attacks on America and its allies. Is it illegal to spy on the enemy's military or enemy foreign soldiers living in America? I don't think so.
  • Reply 82 of 110

To be fair they seem to have addressed that issue - the KB link is shown on the iPhone support page:

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/

• Reply 83 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

+U2 Album

The live stream was an embarrassment.

I have not seen so many Apple missteps in a four week period since TC took over. Each of these things point to a lack of attention to detail in a different part of the company. Put together, that concerns me as a AAPL shareholder and fan of the company. It has nothing to do with "whining" as some of you have put it

Fortunately due to Cook's excellent leadership and Apple's phenomenal products, the stock is trading around its all time high. If you really are concerned you should take the money and never bother us again.

That is assuming you really are a shareholder and not a lying troll.

Stock is down 3% for the day at 98.61, 3% off its all-time high, which it achieved two years ago. So for the past two years, Apple has gone down 3%. Not so stirling. At least, there's a dividend.

• Reply 84 of 110
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Stock is down 3% for the day at 98.61, 3% off its all-time high, which it achieved two years ago. So for the past two years, Apple has gone down 3%. Not so stirling. At least, there's a dividend.
    To be fair, the stock market overall is down today. Dow is down 1.5% Nasdaq is down almost 2%. Same with Microsoft and Google.
  • Reply 85 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

To be fair, the stock market overall is down today. Dow is down 1.5% Nasdaq is down almost 2%. Same with Microsoft and Google.

Apple is much worse.

Dow down 1.38%, Microsoft 1.84%, Google 1.87%, Apple 3.03%.

• Reply 86 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by domo1944 View Post

How can anyone complain about Apple reacting in only 12 hours? After all, iOS 8.01 was obviously released too quickly and now these idiots are complaining that 12 hours for a temporary fix took too long?

I wonder how many people will now decide to wait at least a day or longer before any update by Apple is released?

And with the 6 Plus Bendgate botch, how many people will delay buying new hardware by Apple for a week or more  after its release?

We now know that any software update by Apple can potentially cripple your iPhone or your iPad. No apology has been forthcoming from Apple nor any guarantee that such a terrible mistake will not happen again.

Therefore, anyone who doesn't allow a substantial delay before updating their software is being foolhardy.

The question now is: what other critical errors will reveal themselves in the fulness of time? How long do we need to wait before installing software updates or buying new hardware from Apple? Are they going to advise us on this? In the absence of any feedback from Apple, I would recommend everyone to err on the side of caution, and wait at least days before installing software updates and weeks before buying new hardware.

• Reply 87 of 110

Indeed, but the real danger is infected servers spreading a worm, which fixing Bash on iOS offers no protection against. The people who have to work quickly on this are UNIX server admins not personal device engineers. Sure it needs to be fixed but the Bash vulnerability is minimal for iOS.

• Reply 88 of 110
    To be honest, I don't believe widespread surveillance to find evidence of specific threats currently facing America is in fact trampling on people's rights....

You don't understand the law or the Constitution then:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/judge-nsas-collecting-of-phone-records-is-likely-unconstitutional/2013/12/16/6e098eda-6688-11e3-a0b9-249bbb34602c_story.html

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/16/nsa-phone-surveillance-likely-unconstitutional-judge

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-06/17/nsa-not-legally-justified

Without Snowden's personal choice to reveal this activity at great risk to himself, no one would be the wiser. Unconstitutional acts committed by our government are a fundamental breach of trust and undermine the freedoms of all Americans.
  • Reply 89 of 110
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I see now most of Apple's competitors are running social media campaigns around #bendgate. The Next Web claims Apple is actively looking into the issue and will replace any phones returned to their stores. We'll see how Apple responds to this. I initially thought this might die down but it doesn't look like it will anytime soon. i guess the question now is will this impact sales?
  • Reply 90 of 110
    This is great, except for the millions of iPhone users that do not have wired internet access, and must use cellular or satelite/wireless internet for a primary connection. Carriers forcing users to low data caps, and then the iOS restore eats over 1.5gb of data to download, passing daily usage limits on thousands of rural customers.

These iOS IPSW packs need to be localized to shrink the size (by removing un-needed languages in the software). And, the carriers/regulators need to keep this in mind as broadband with data caps are being discussed at the FCC level. Carriers are making big dollars off this, as they double dip on data from customers and content providers.

Before you trolls start flaming with "you should live in the real world with real internet".. Many americans are opting for mobile only connections instead of wired connections for their internet. For rural locations, there is no other choice than mobile. Mobile is our internet connection from monopoly LECs.
  • Reply 90 of 110
    Originally Posted by YvesVilleneuve View Post

I can't say any harm has been done

Doesn’t matter. They don’t have the right.

Is it illegal to spy on the enemy's military or enemy foreign soldiers living in America? I don't think so. 

Yeah, see, they’re not doing that. They’re spying on everyone.

• Reply 92 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/judge-nsas-collecting-of-phone-records-is-likely-unconstitutional/2013/12/16/6e098eda-6688-11e3-a0b9-249bbb34602c_story.html

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/16/nsa-phone-surveillance-likely-unconstitutional-judge

Without Snowden's personal choice to reveal this activity at great risk to himself, no one would be the wiser. Unconstitutional acts committed by our government are a fundamental breach of trust and undermine the freedoms of all Americans.

Oh, come on, nobody was wiser... 90% of the things "revealed" were known and authorized by the intelligence committees and were opened up by the patriot act. The show Person of Interest is basically based on that fact and it was in devellopment way before Snowden. There are a few things were the NSA went beyond mandate; but in most cases they were following the flawed existing law.  Also, anyone who thinks he revealed anything when saying the US spies on its allies is a fool. Everybody knows that everyone spies on everyone since WWII at least. It is embarassing when it come out to the public; but not surprising.

You will notice that not much has changed since his so called revelations. It is almost business as usual in that regard. Why? Because people in Washington in both parties all knew about it and they want to continue most of it. With the current treats, I'm guessing there will be little clamor to really change anything at all.

• Reply 93 of 110
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by john12345 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Twelve hours to release this, and all it contains are the instructions iMore.com posted within the first half hour.  SMH

We must have different working definitions of "quick"... 

AppleCare knew there was a problem with cellular connections from this update within the first 10 minutes and it took over 80 minutes for them to pull the update from Software Update.  And, as I said, 12 hours to post the above tech doc.

Are you kidding? 80 minutes *IS* quick.   You have NO IDEA how these things work.  You seem to think it's just some guy in the basement going, "Oh, i better switch this off".    This is a huge organization and there are bureaucracies and sequence of steps that must be followed.    I'm actually surprised it only took 80 minutes.     

Also, just because some people complained, doesn't mean Apple will immediately pull the update.   Apple has to verify the problem, then make a determination that the problem is big enough for them to actually pull the update.

Oh I know EXACTLY how these things work.  Implementation plans, internal and external test plans, communication plans, deployment plans, backout plans, kill switches, escalation plans, business continuity plan, the works.  Coordination with the help desk, ticket reporting, log analysis.   If my team waited 80 minutes to pull an obviously failed update, well, we sure as hell wouldn't be a team anymore.

And frankly, I doubt this update got anywhere near that amount of effort or focus.  My guess, and it's only a guess, is that this was a carrier update fix, like all iOS x.0.1 updates, and then someone wanted to fasttrack the HealthKit fix, then a bunch of other (completely unrelated) stuff got scopecreeped in "because it was ready", and NONE OF IT went through the the normal app developer channel before being packaged and deployed to the interwebs.  Probably something as simple as the wrong support files for Touch ID and carriers were included, or maybe weren't included, in the OTA update. 

Add in people who insist on updating the second its released, for fear of not being first, like it was the ball being dropped in Times Square on NYE, and you have yourself a readymade disaster.

• Reply 94 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ottobot View Post

Has anyone considered a class action lawsuit?

You mean has anyone considered an action that will only enrich some lawyers and distract Apple even more? Not anyone with a functioning brain.

• Reply 95 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I see now most of Apple's competitors are running social media campaigns around #bendgate. The Next Web claims Apple is actively looking into the issue and will replace any phones returned to their stores. We'll see how Apple responds to this. I initially thought this might die down but it doesn't look like it will anytime soon. i guess the question now is will this impact sales?

You have an army of tech geeks out there sporting a vast arsenal of personality disorders. Apple competitors don't need to lift a finger. The applehate geek brigade will do it for free.

• Reply 96 of 110

Until I actually hear the US Supreme Court actually rule it is unconstitutional I will treat it as legal. I didn't read the articles since the wording in the link address implies the judge is merely expressing an opinion.

As for Snowden, get real. He is as much a narcissist as Assange. Snowden's father proudly adores Putin in public. It wouldn't surprise me if his father nurtured and urged his son to betray his country. The intent of these American traitors is to bring the young Snowden back to America without facing charges in a court of law for obviously breaking American law while using him as a proxy for Putin to spread his ideals in American Pop Culture, and turning more Americans against America. The reality is unequivocal and for good reason: the US government will never allow the young Snowden back into America without forcing him to face his charges in a court of law. If Snowden believes his actions were constitutional then why isn't he in America defending himself in a court of law? A high profile case like that will assure him a fair process and fair trial since it will be heavily scrutinized for any injustice.
  • Reply 97 of 110
    lymf wrote: »

There was no pre-orders problem, just 30 millions people trying to reach the same website at the same time. Not everyone can get in when it's like that.

Personally I went to Support, iPhone, and found the link on that page...
    Just went back to the support site, it's now showing up. Looks like they put it up after I posted my comment. This is good!
  • Reply 98 of 110
    You have an army of tech geeks out there sporting a vast arsenal of personality disorders. Apple competitors don't need to lift a finger. The applehate geek brigade will do it for free.
    And unfortunately, the dumb, uninformed consumers will eat it up and believe it, without even looking at the pathetic videos. Had a girl come to my bench this morning asking if she should bend her iPhone 6 to see if it's sturdy?!?! :rolleyes:

Showed her the video, and pointed to how much pressure the doofus is applying, and how unscientific it is, and now she believes it's BS, and won't try it on her own phone; can't believe she was contemplating that!!!
  • Reply 99 of 110
    Originally Posted by YvesVilleneuve View Post

Until I actually hear the US Supreme Court actually rule it is unconstitutional I will treat it as legal.

Except the constitution already says it’s illegal.

• Reply 100 of 110

Doesn’t matter. They don’t have the right.

Yeah, see, they’re not doing that. They’re spying on everyone.
    The government has the right to limit individual human rights if the collective is seriously threatened.

To say they are spying on everyone is disingenuous. They are trying to find suspects that are plotting to cause harm to America, much like trying to find needles in a haystack