Rumor: Apple's 12.9" 'iPad Pro' to sport beefed-up A8X chip, 'iPad Air 2' to gain 2GB RAM

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

"The quad-core Imagination Technologies graphics processing unit in the A8 has been shown to struggle with the scaling required on the 5.5-inch, 401-points-per-inch display of the iPhone 6 Plus, with some users reporting stuttering in various system components"

I'm curious to know how widespread that is.

The behavior ought to be universal across all 6 Pluses, but many people might not know what to look for. I've noticed stuttering in the graphics. Some of this might be caused by diagnostics inserted in the original release of 8.0 that will eventually be removed, but I kind of doubt the effect of diagnostics would be so extreme. 

• Reply 42 of 80
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    slurpy wrote: »
    I hope the next 9.7" iPad won't bend when I shove it in my pocket. If it does, I'm done with Apple products forever.

I hope they take into account that someone might try to bend the **** out of it on youtube, which will garner tens of millions of views and get attention on every media outlet on the planet, so they better sure that is physically impossible, preferably by making it 10 inches thick and not including a screen at all, or any other internal components. Otherwise, no sale. I have a stack of bent Apple product in my basement that are just useless to me, and getting downright sick of it. 

Do you wear your baseball cap backwards? Wear geek glasses and a polyester fleece warmup pullover? If not, I don't believe you.
  • Reply 43 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

The behavior ought to be universal across all 6 Pluses, but many people might not know what to look for. I've noticed stuttering in the graphics. Some of this might be caused by diagnostics inserted in the original release of 8.0 that will eventually be removed, but I kind of doubt the effect of diagnostics would be so extreme. 

I wonder if that stuttering can fixed or minimized through software updates.

• Reply 44 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

you need to recheck the  Anandtech's site, the iphone 6 and 6+ are right in the middle on the overall score.

No, they are not, get your glasses on.

• Reply 45 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Good god... 6+ horizontally has more space than 2 iPhones vertically. 

Never came up to you that sometimes you want to keep chatting while doing something else without having to switch apps back and forth? Or FaceTime and Safari at the same time while talking about a web page?  "Must have happened to 99% of us" (c) Sog35

Say what? If you split a 6 Plus screen in half you get two smaller screens that are almost square. meaning if you're looking at two normal vertical screens you're left with scrolling up and down to see all the content. That or tell developers they have to add a third aspect ratio to deal with that only applies to the 6 Plus users who might actually want to run two Apps at once.

Your example about FaceTime and Safari at once is ridiculous. If I'm collaborating on a web page I'm going to want to view it on my desktop (or at least a laptop). A 2.4" x 2.7" screen (which is half a 6 Plus) is far too small to view a web page and make any critical observations. If I had to I'd use the full screen to view the web page while making a FaceTime audio call in the background so I could actually see enough of the page to be useful.

Can't you come up with any actual useful example that might apply to the real world?

• Reply 46 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Many don't have this so called "stuttering" so I don't think its graphic chip not having enough oomph at all. If you look at the specs, there should be no issue. If the phone is doing some other processing while you do this (for whatever reason, bug, rogue app, misconfiguration, background task), this could happen. Also, seemingly some people had different result for the graphic benchmark for the 6+ than Anandtech (better), which is strange.

• Reply 47 of 80
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

"The quad-core Imagination Technologies graphics processing unit in the A8 has been shown to struggle with the scaling required on the 5.5-inch, 401-points-per-inch display of the iPhone 6 Plus, with some users reporting stuttering in various system components"

I'm curious to know how widespread that is.

How many pixels is the iPhone 6 Plus pushing?

How can the A7 push 3.1 million pixels to both the iPad Mini Retina and iPad Air but the A8 can stutter with the iPhone 6 Plus?  Doesn't seem feasible

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

The behavior ought to be universal across all 6 Pluses, but many people might not know what to look for. I've noticed stuttering in the graphics. Some of this might be caused by diagnostics inserted in the original release of 8.0 that will eventually be removed, but I kind of doubt the effect of diagnostics would be so extreme. 

I did read an article here that does a good job explaining it a little.  In a nutshell, when Apple went "Retina"- they doubled the pixels on the iPhone 4 and iPad 3.  So developers could add "2x" assets.  Here is a quote:

Quote:

Apple’s solution is to introduce 3x Retina. At 2208x1242, the 6 Plus display offers 736x414 3x3-pixel “points”, usefully more than the iPhone 6’s 667x375. But this elegant software reasoning apparently didn’t sway Cupertino’s hardware department. Rather than a 461ppi 2208x1242-pixel screen, they thought 1920x1080 was plenty.

Eyebrow-raisingly, therefore, the iPhone 6 Plus renders a 2208x1242 display downscaled to 1920x1080. It’s much like viewing a multi-megapixel image in Photoshop at less than 100 per cent to fit it on your screen. As in Photoshop, a smooth resampling algorithm is used so that nothing looks jaggy. But there’s no integer ratio between a pixel designed by the software developer and a pixel on your iPhone 6 Plus screen. That’s something the fragmented Android world has long tolerated, but it’s new to perfectionist Apple. 

So I'm curious if the "scaling" is where any of this stuttering comes from.

• Reply 48 of 80
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

okay let's just get them out of the way:

Does it bend?

Bigger and even more bendier

The most bendable iPad yet.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Seriously not even remotely funny.

• Reply 49 of 80

This is an awesome rumor, one of the first that I actually hope comes true. This would be perfect setup for my music apps, even better if I can now finally run at least two of them side by side. Would also like to see a built in HDMI or Display Port, maybe with extended screen support, that won't happen for a while I know, at least not until Apple merges iOS with OSX, it's a big reason why I have a Surface Pro 3. Maybe finally support for a Wacom Pen that can be also be connected to a Mac for use with Photoshop and other pen enabled desktop applications, again I don't think they'll do it but I can dream. The running two apps side by side though is a real possibility as what would be the point of all that space if it didn't do it. This will be on my Christmas list if it is released this year.

• Reply 50 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Too bad iphone6+ was left without a8x, 2gb and likely split screen multitasking.

Many benchmarks show gpu performance is underwelming on 6 plus due to too many pixels to handle.

And Split screen is likely out because of 1gb limitation.

that makes no sense.

the purpose of the 6+ is to increase screen size.

So why the HELL would you decrease screen size by using a split screen.  A split screen on a sub 6 inch device is STUPIDITY.  NO one wants that except some Nerds that make 1% of the population.  And they probably got a POS Samdung anyway.

Duh !

• Reply 51 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

No, we really don't. 

(Unless you are using "we" in the royal sense, e.g., "we are not amused".)

Yes we really do, if you don't want to use the feature then don't, simple,  I have absolutely zero doubt that you'll find a lot more who want the ability to view two apps at a time, especially on a screen so large then those who don't. Especially that it means Apple will not only increase the memory but finally allow more apps to be ran at the same time. I can't believe you would assume that the majority wouldn't want this.

• Reply 52 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I thought many here said 1GB is just fine and is intentional to force developers to write better apps (though I guess that doesn't apply to Apple apps like Safari). image

Safari performance seems much improved on my iPad Air with iOS 8.00

• Reply 53 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Will there now be a MacPro Plus, Mac mini Plus, MacBook Plus, MacBook Air Plus, iMac Plus?

Absolutely.   Then, once everyone is stablized on Plus models, then the Xtree upgrade model will fall into place:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XTree

at that point, is will become MacPro Plus Gold, ...... you get the idea.   :)

• Reply 54 of 80
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

you need to recheck the  Anandtech's site, the iphone 6 and 6+ are right in the middle on the overall score.

RIANA BERTOLLI

Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

No, they are not, get your glasses on.

They say an image is worth a thousand words...

• Reply 55 of 80
    @sog35, sure its stupid to offer split screen capabilities on a sub 6" device, ARE YOU STUPID. Samsung has been doing that for 4 years now and users LOVE IT. Apple finally woke up after sleeping for a few hundred years and offered a phone that isn't for small children's hands. The 6 IS the phone to get not the 4S size phones.
  • Reply 56 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

They say an image is worth a thousand words...

Right, forgot to post the 10 other graphics were they're on top hey buddy... Considering 3d mark "physics" is THE ONLY thing it doesn't come on top (that chart is physics and graphics together)  YOU FRACKING NEED GLASSES. I'm not repeating myself, read the damn review and then show yourself here and claim the same thing.

• Reply 57 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by InteliusQ View Post

The iPad MacBook Air.

The MacBook iPad.

The MacBook Air Pad.

The MacPad.

How about an interdependent hybrid mobile computer with an active digitizer?

In Steve Jobs' introduction of the wedge Macbook Air, he asked...

"What would happen if a Mac and an iPad hooked up?"

What would that actually look like?

Apple can take the bottom of the Macbook Air (with its logic board and battery) and an iPad (with its logic board and battery), and in the words of the late Steve Jobs "hook them up".

The iPad could physically attach or dock to the Macbook Air and become a detachable screen.

Starting to sound like a "Surface to Air" missile.

• Reply 58 of 80
    Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

Samsung has been doing that for 4 years now and users LOVE IT.

Never heard that.

• Reply 59 of 80
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Right, forgot to post the 10 other graphics were they're on top hey buddy... Considering 3d mark "physics" is THE ONLY thing it doesn't come on top (that chart is physics and graphics together)  YOU FRACKING NEED GLASSES. I'm not repeating myself, read the damn review and then show yourself here and claim the same thing.

So you guys won't constantly go back and forth on this, here are the rest of the graphic tests. Looks like the iPhone is on top for most things, except for the tablet that contains that Nvidia Graphics beast K1. The most important test though for 3DMark is the Overall, which the iPhone 6 still fairs pretty well. Who cares if it's not the first, the mixture of CPU and GPU make the iPhone 6 one of the fastest phones on the market today. Even when Nvidia, Qualcomm and Samsung release their first round of 64Bit chips, the iPhone 6 will be in the top list for a while.

67837.png
    67838.png67839.png
    67840.png
    67841.png
    67842.png
    67843.png
  • Reply 60 of 80
    relic wrote: »
    ^ post

Wow in the 1.2 Unlimited - Physics department! Bottom 5 phones has 3 from Apple. No idea what this 'physics' relates to, but this one stands out.