How to customize, hide or remove QuickType suggestions with the iOS 8 keyboard

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    allenbf wrote: »
    I'm in the process of moving from gmail to icloud and didn't realize this one.  Cheers.

A good move, I say! Do note that this is merely my own personal opinion, and definitely not shared by 'everyone else'.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    allenbf wrote: »
    Index on my right hand if I'm using the phone with both hands, left thumb if one-handed.  It's pretty fast.  I've tried the others as well, Fleksy, Swiftkey, etc, but Swype is my pick due to speed, accuracy, and privacy. (at least for now, Swype doesn't store user data).

Ah I see. Thank you.
  • Reply 23 of 55

I've disabled predictive text; it was far too distracting. I can type quicker than the suggestions appear.

It's a flawed concept.

• Reply 24 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

A good move, I say! Do note that this is merely my own personal opinion, and definitely not shared by 'everyone else'.

I used to be of the opposite opinion but a series of personal events have led me to begin dismantling (as much as possible) my digital footprint.  And of course, that starts with Google.

• Reply 25 of 55
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Agree with you on the predictive text.  I find myself typing a couple of letters and then looking up to see if my word is there.  I actually type faster without it.

On Swype, however, I can't agree.  While the whole 3rd party keyboard thing concerns me a bit (I understand that Swype doesn't store my data unlike others), Swype works like a dream.  I can literally "type" an entire paragraph within a few seconds.  My only complaint (aside from privacy) is that it's still a bit buggy.  Sometimes I'll open iMessage and can't get a keyboard to display for anything, which requires me to close out messages completely and try again.

All the 3rd party keyboards are extremely buggy, which is disappointing. There are no where near as smooth or polished as the Apple Keyboard.

Assuming that all gets worked out, I agree that Swype is impressive. Much faster and easier to program than any other I've tried. My only complaint with it is that it deviates from the Apple Keyboard layout far too much..

• Reply 26 of 55
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I've disabled predictive text; it was far too distracting. I can type quicker than the suggestions appear.

It's a flawed concept.

Hardly. If you spent any amount of time with it, you'd find it useful. Not for typing out a paragraph, for filling in gaps and choosing suggestions.

People spend so much time developing these things and you get people like you that use it for all of 30 seconds and then turn it off, and say Meh its flawed!

Well, Meh! You're flawed!

• Reply 27 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

It's a flawed concept.

Hardly. If you spent any amount of time with it, you'd find it useful. Not for typing out a paragraph, for filling in gaps and choosing suggestions.

People spend so much time developing these things and you get people like you that use it for all of 30 seconds and then turn it off, and say Meh its flawed!

Well, Meh! You're flawed!

Such an ignorant comment you made.

I used the predictive text for several days, but it was a pain in the arse. It was much slower than simply typing normally, and it was also very distracting. Apple chose to do without it for seven years; so do I.

There's no need for your infantile response.

• Reply 28 of 55
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

My only complaint with the predictive text is at some point, it started to think that LOL meant I wanted to say LOLA.

iMessage wants to change what I want to say

From laughing right out loud

to the name of a woman called Lola. L-O-L-A laughter

My wife thinks that I might be having an affair

And when I assuage her the words come out wrong

They say ‘of hair’. O-F-HA-AIR ‘of hair’

Well, I’m not the world’s most technical guy

So I don’t know how to turn off the predictive text

On my iPhone. I-P-H-O iPhone

Well, I’m not dumb but I can’t understand

Why Siri can’t correctly pronounce the ‘AU’ phoneme

She says ‘UH’ instead. U-H, U-H instead.

Well, I updated my iPhone 6

To iOS 8.0.1

I lost my calls and my TouchID

At least 8.0.2 came out quick-uh-ly!

Well, I’m a pretty forgiving guy

But QuickType keeps messing up when

I only want to show my

laughter. L-O-L-A laughter. L-O-L-A laughter.

Laughter. L-O-L-A laughter. L-O-L-A laughter.

I went to Settings

Went to General

I touched Keyboard

Turned off auto-c’recct

But that didn’t turn off L-O-L-A!

Seems it was put in the dictionary

Because I’d done it enough that

It thought it was my pers’nal pref’rence

PER-SON-AL preference

Laughter. L-O-L-A laughter. L-O-L-A laughter.

Laughter. L-O-L-A laughter. L-O-L-A laughter...

• Reply 29 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I guess that I'm old fashioned. I have a vast dictionary of words already programmed into my brain, and I don't need or want any suggestions as to what to type next. I'm also not a fan of those swiping keyboards and I received a decent education when I was younger, so I rarely make any spelling or grammatical mistakes.

One day when we're hit by an EMP attack, I'll take comfort in the fact that I will still know how to write using a pen and paper.

I'll be disabling these quicktype features for sure.

Oh boy. Quicktype suggestions aren't about "suggesting what you type next". It's about helping you type what you want to type.

• Reply 30 of 55
    I like the predictive text. Not quite used to it yet though so I tend to type it all out most of the time. I've been using shortcuts for a while now and I love those. Have them for my email addresses, phrases I use a lot (omw = On my way home), and other common things used to fill in forms.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    I stopped using predictive typing when it became clear that it does not know curse words.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

You'll need that paper to start a fire, so don't write anything too important on it.

;-)

I'll make sure to keep a pile of liberal books around, so that I'll have some material to burn if needed.:smokey:

• Reply 33 of 55
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Palalune View Post

Oh boy. Quicktype suggestions aren't about "suggesting what you type next". It's about helping you type what you want to type.

That could very well be, however, I think that I will just stick to my simple method of typing what's on my mind, as I believe that I type quicker without any distractions.

• Reply 34 of 55
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    For some reason I'm just not making out well with Predictive Text and these third-party keyboards. Predictive Text is an annoyance when you're *already* fast as hell. Your attention is drawn in two directions, slowing you down. It's rather jarring. I'm willing to spend more time with it, but it's just so much more comfy to type on the standard iOS keyboard with autocorrect. Frankly, the only improvement I really need is a smarter autocorrect.

Swyping feels gimmicky. Appears to be terrible with longer words. Even if there is promise of texting speed improvement, will it really be *that* much faster? I don't think so. Which makes it pointless to learn a new paradigm. I suppose it's ok for one-handed use now and then when your hands are otherwise full. 

In my view it just goes to show how well Apple designed the standard iOS keyboard. The contrast is perfect. Key spacing/height also perfect. It's just great to use. It's easy to get good with it. 

I fully agree
  • Reply 35 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

For some reason I'm just not making out well with Predictive Text and these third-party keyboards. Predictive Text is an annoyance when you're *already* fast as hell. Your attention is drawn in two directions, slowing you down. It's rather jarring. I'm willing to spend more time with it, but it's just so much more comfy to type on the standard iOS keyboard with autocorrect. Frankly, the only improvement I really need is a smarter autocorrect.

Swyping feels gimmicky. Appears to be terrible with longer words. Even if there is promise of texting speed improvement, will it really be *that* much faster? I don't think so. Which makes it pointless to learn a new paradigm. I suppose it's ok for one-handed use now and then when your hands are otherwise full. 

In my view it just goes to show how well Apple designed the standard iOS keyboard. The contrast is perfect. Key spacing/height also perfect. It's just great to use. It's easy to get good with it. 

I fully agree

Seconded.

• Reply 36 of 55

I'm surprised more people don't use shortcuts.  I turned off auto-correct, which I found incredibly annoying (and inaccurate for my needs), and instead have put in a few dozen shortcuts - "hes" becomes "he's", "iill" becomes "I'll", "sanf" becomes "San Francisco", etc.  Even email addresses - "x[at]y" becomes my Yahoo address, "x[at]g" my Gmail address, etc.  It's a much more functional way of typing than using auto-correct, IMHO.

(The problem is when I'm pounding away on an email at work and type something like "itz", and only later realize it didn't shortcut-change into "it's".  LOL (or should that be LOLA?)

• Reply 37 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

I'm surprised more people don't use shortcuts.  I turned off auto-correct, which I found incredibly annoying (and inaccurate for my needs), and instead have put in a few dozen shortcuts - "hes" becomes "he's", "iill" becomes "I'll", "sanf" becomes "San Francisco", etc.  Even email addresses - "x[at]y" becomes my Yahoo address, "x[at]g" my Gmail address, etc.  It's a much more functional way of typing than using auto-correct, IMHO.

(The problem is when I'm pounding away on an email at work and type something like "itz", and only later realize it didn't shortcut-change into "it's".  LOL (or should that be LOLA?)

This is smart. I'll start doing this. 

• Reply 38 of 55
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    sierrajeff wrote: »

This is smart. I'll start doing this. 

Yes, shortcuts are very handy. They're also good for when you have a word that constantly autocorrects to the wrong one. You can force it to a word you want simply by typing the word in and leaving the shortcut blank in the settings.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    What I want is a way to swipe out a suggested word that I'll never use.

I live in Canada and yet every time I start typing something with a capital "A" I get the suggestion "AT&T". Of course we don't have AT&T here (not anymore, merged with Rogers Mobility) and yet I keep getting the suggestion. I want to be able to swipe the word to the right to delete it from suggestions and get something more useful, like maybe my name?

Does long pressing on a predicted word remove it from the prediction list?
  • Reply 40 of 55

What is the purpose, when typing a word, of the leftmost predictive suggestion that places what you are typing in quotes?