iOS 8 tells you what app is draining your iPhone's battery

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    Yet another reason to jailbreak so that you have full control of what's running in background
  • Reply 22 of 40
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    I had 'low signal' against 'Phone' and I seldom actually experience low signal strength.Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Interestingly, it says 'low signal' on mine against a couple of apps (incl. the App Store). I wonder if that means greater battery drain when either the wifi or cellular signal is less strong.

I had 'low signal' against 'Phone' and I seldom actually experience low signal strength.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Mine is all Home & Lockscreen on my 6 Plus because I can't stop staring at it. image

'Home & Lock Screen' accounted for 14% on my 'old' 5... reason - my months old granddaughter's image! 

• Reply 23 of 40
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Mine is all Home & Lockscreen on my 6 Plus because I can't stop staring at it. image

Saw a 6 Plus a few days ago, beautiful screen. I'm thinking of going that way too.

• Reply 24 of 40
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    pazuzu wrote: »
    AppleInsider keeps draining all of mine's. :\  

There's a solution to that problem that might benefit everyone.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

They should also do this for cellular downloads, for us poor saps that live in countries where downloads are highly limited.

Then we would *know* Facebook is a bitch of an app.

or you go into the settings and turn off cell use for such things. even just turning off auto play videos on cellular saves a ton. no need to know just how much data sucking its doing

now what isn't in there that might be useful would be a breakdown of wifi v cellular activity and its battery drain. It might be useful to know, for example, that while Facebook is 35% of your battery drain 30% of said drain is when using Facebook on cellular. So perhaps you should turn off cell data for Facebook to save your data plan and your battery

• Reply 26 of 40

My phone appears to drain faster. I hardly use it during the day at work and I'm at 40% when I get home. 

Also new, I get getting an annoying message whenever I launch Podcasts that "Cellular Data is Turned Off for Podcasts."

No KIIDDING, Why does iOS 8 have to remind you every single time you do that? Some of us only have 1 GB of data and don't want Podcasts on cellular data. Whatever that means. 

No way to stop it. 

Podcasts - you'd think it couldn't get worse, but it has. Still does not properly download podcasts.

• Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

or you go into the settings and turn off cell use for such things. even just turning off auto play videos on cellular saves a ton. no need to know just how much data sucking its doing

now what isn't in there that might be useful would be a breakdown of wifi v cellular activity and its battery drain. It might be useful to know, for example, that while Facebook is 35% of your battery drain 30% of said drain is when using Facebook on cellular. So perhaps you should turn off cell data for Facebook to save your data plan and your battery

If you cell is weak, it uses much battery no matter what you do. So, restricting any push or pull is a good thing.

• Reply 28 of 40
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    entropys wrote: »
    They should also do this for cellular downloads, for us poor saps that live in countries where downloads are highly limited.
    Then we would *know* Facebook is a bitch of an app.

They do: under settings; cellular, scroll down to "use cellular data for": below each app's name is its ussge since the last reset (very bottom of the list).
  • Reply 29 of 40
    maestro64 wrote: »
    Hate to say this but android has had this for a while, reason being they had serious issue with battery drain and app being power and memory hogs. I hope that will not be the case with IOS apps

Schmidt? Is that you again?? Get off this site Eric.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    I don't know how terribly useful this is. The app you use the most is going to be your biggest battery hog. If you check facebook 20 times a day and use it 80% of the time, this battery shamer is just going to tell you that Facebook is burning your battery. If you use Feedly mostly like I do, then that's my battery hog. I suppose if there is an app you hardly use that's causing a lot of drain, then that would be a red flag if that's even possible on iOS.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Hey everyone. I'd like to announce that the contest for winning an iPhone is now open at: http://winaniphone6.weebly.com
    Good luck!
  • Reply 32 of 40

Turning on Safari sync in iCloud settings on iPhone 6 causes constant Safari usage and massive battery drain on newiPhone 6 with ios8.

Windows 7 PC with previous and new version of iCloud control panel synching Chrome and IE bookmarks. Macs, iPads also sync iCloud Safari.

I had used this setup for a very long time on iPhone 5s with ios7 and did not notice battery issues.

Now that I can see battery usage by app in ios8, I saw that Safari was consuming 40% of the battery usage even though safari was not running. Background app refresh was off and location services were at bare minimum. This went on for days of getting only a few hours after each charge until I realized the only thing Safari might be doing in the background was synching iCloud.

That was the issue. Now, with iCloud safari sync off, Safari does not even register 1% at all and battery lasts all day.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I will leave it off until addressed by Apple, but this is a problem.

• Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

AppleInsider keeps draining all of mine's. image  

There's a solution to that problem that might benefit everyone.

Yep; it would be a good idea for him to get a battery case. I'd like to see more of pazuzu's writing here.

• Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

AppleInsider keeps draining all of mine's. :\ 

I've just started turning off mobile data when I don't need it, as well as wifi. You can still make and receive calls.

• Reply 35 of 40
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    jfc1138 wrote: »

Yes, more power, at least for cellular when the phone moderates the power to the cellular radios to try and bring in a  weak signal, that's been a part of cell phones going back to the analog ones (I could drain one in a couple of hours by inadvertently putting it in my steel desk drawer without turning it off first, with the steel blocking all signals the thing went nuts, digitals got a bit smarter in my impression) I don't know whether WiFi does that.

LOL! While this answer arrives at the correct conclusion, the explanation is not correct. The battery drain is not caused by trying to "pull in a weak signal". A weak signal usually means that you are far away from the nearest cell tower. The weaker the signal, the further away you are - or the more attenuation you have between your phone and the tower (ie concrete walls, metal drawers, etc).

Your connection to the cell tower is 2-way. When the tower is farther away, your phone has to increase its transmit power in order for the response to make it all the way to the tower. This has been the case since the early days of cellphones. What most people dont realize though is how "chatty" the phone and the cell tower are even with data turned off and with no voice call in progress - but there is a lot going on in the background and your phone and the tower are in almost constant communication!

So - the power drain has nothing to do with "pulling". It's the pushing that can drain your battery quickly. If you're in a weak signal area and have Wi-Fi available, you can extend your battery life by many hours by putting your phone in Airplane mode then turning on Wi-Fi and using VoIP apps (Skype, FaceTime Audio, MagicJack, BBM, etc) or messaging apps (Skype, BBM, FaceBook, Whatsapp, iMessage, etc) instead of using Cellular voice and SMS.

2 years ago, I spent a weekend at a friends place where my cellular carrier had poor coverage (1 bar). My fully charged iPhone 4S drained in 2 hours. When I turned off everything except WiFi, it lasted a full day.

Often, it's this behavior that is responsible for a noticeably inconsistent battery drain which baffles users because their usage pattern hasn't changed. In many cases, it can be explained by a temporary problem or outage with their closest cell tower forcing the phone to connect to the next closest tower using a higher transmit power.

Wi-Fi is designed for much shorter range use - so even if there are a couple of different power levels the phone uses for Wi-Fi connections, all of those power levels would be low enough that the power drain on the phone would be MUCH less significant and unlikely to be noticed.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    maestro64 wrote: »
    Hate to say this but android has had this for a while, reason being they had serious issue with battery drain and app being power and memory hogs. I hope that will not be the case with IOS apps

Nobody is going to use this feature to influence their purchase decision between iOS and Android, nor will they care who had the feature first (as long as no patents are being infringed). I don't get why you felt that something like that needed to be pointed out or why you have such a strong emotional reaction to doing so. (Hate? really?)

It's a great feature that would be useful on any multi-function device. This article exists to inform people that it's a new feature available in iOS 8 - not a groundbreaking innovation that makes iOS better than anyone else. (There are lots of other reasons for that!)
  • Reply 37 of 40
    rf9 wrote: »
    I don't know how terribly useful this is. The app you use the most is going to be your biggest battery hog. If you check facebook 20 times a day and use it 80% of the time, this battery shamer is just going to tell you that Facebook is burning your battery. If you use Feedly mostly like I do, then that's my battery hog. I suppose if there is an app you hardly use that's causing a lot of drain, then that would be a red flag if that's even possible on iOS.

Good point! There will always be an app that uses "the most" battery. Some users will no doubt misinterpret that to think that "Candy Crush" is a battery hog instead of realizing that it was the fact that they played it for 14 hours which caused the seemingly high power consumption!
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tenly View Post

Good point! There will always be an app that uses "the most" battery. Some users will no doubt misinterpret that to think that "Candy Crush" is a battery hog instead of realizing that it was the fact that they played it for 14 hours which caused the seemingly high power consumption!

Yeah, this is not a useful feature for stupid people. For a normal user who is wondering why the battery never seems to make it through the day any more, this is a fine investigative tool. Certainly could cause a change in usage behavior, charging patterns, app configuration, or an uninstall.

• Reply 39 of 40
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rf9 View Post

Do a video stream in a poor reception area and that app will be the power hog despite surfing the internet with Safari or whatever for far longer.

• Reply 40 of 40

Thanks a lot for this. I just turned it off on my iP6. Let see how it goes. It shows 35% - 40% each day and I hardly use it. Guess what you said make sense because I use safari on my work mac a lot.