Adapting to change: a review of Apple's larger 4.7-inch iPhone 6 vs. the smaller 4-inch iPhone 5s

Comments

• Reply 261 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Very strange that Apple didn't offer a 4-inch iPhone 6. It's not normally in Apple's DNA to copy Samsung's product line, and it's also shocking that Apple would turn its back on all its customers who loved the iPhone specifically because of its size. I want an A8 processor in a 4-inch size. This goes to show that Tim Cook's instincts are wildly out of sync with what Steve Jobs' instincts were. Steve led the tech industry, whereas Tim just blindly follows the competition. Truly sad.

This is as spectacularly stupid a thing as anybody's said yet (in this thread), but here's a hint:

MAYBE an iPhone 6 WON'T FIT in a 5/5s frame, just like your mom CAN'T be a horse...CERTAINLY you don't know what you're talking about.

Like Lincoln said about opening our mouth & removing all doubt:

• Reply 262 of 281
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious View Post

Like Lincoln said about opening our mouth & removing all doubt:

Pot meet Kettle

• Reply 263 of 281
    I created a user account just so I can "log a vote" to bring back the old form factor. I so wanted to love the 6, but returned it because I just couldn't get used to the bigger size. Not just the 1-handed thing (though mostly)... but also because the slight change in keyboard was driving me nuts. My wife, who processes info very differently from me (in good and complementary ways) also couldn't stand the larger size. And she is usually the 'go with the flow, type. I am very much with the folks above who wished for a state of the art spec'd iPhone 6 (mini or air or small). I just fear not enough folks will make their voices heard and we'll be forced to choose between a huge downgrade in usability... or a departure from a huge investment in ecosystem.
  • Reply 264 of 281
    Well I just returned my iPhone 6 and ordered an iPhone 5s. I sold my old 5s as I had no doubt I wanted the hyped big screen. But I think Apple made the screen too long. Android phones aren't so long and thin but apple has to be different. Starting with the 5 they made the thing longer than previous phones and they kept that design when they decided to go big. I can reach the top of the screen with a nexus 4 but not with the iPhone 6. I can do the death grip with the nexus 4 but not the iPhone 6. I think they need to just make the regular sized phone a bit smaller and then it would be a winner. Well for people 6 ft tall and over anyway. I didn't realize I was a one handed per se until I tried the 6 but now I know. I wonder if people won't miss the smaller phones.
  • Reply 265 of 281
    kraemder wrote: »
    Well I just returned my iPhone 6 and ordered an iPhone 5s. I sold my old 5s as I had no doubt I wanted the hyped big screen. But I think Apple made the screen too long. Android phones aren't so long and thin but apple has to be different. Starting with the 5 they made the thing longer than previous phones and they kept that design when they decided to go big. I can reach the top of the screen with a nexus 4 but not with the iPhone 6. I can do the death grip with the nexus 4 but not the iPhone 6. I think they need to just make the regular sized phone a bit smaller and then it would be a winner. Well for people 6 ft tall and over anyway. I didn't realize I was a one handed per se until I tried the 6 but now I know. I wonder if people won't miss the smaller phones.

I was thinking of getting the 6, but have decided to stick with my 5. I got a little Mophie keyring battery to keep the battery topped up for the few times I run out. Otherwise, my 5 is lovely and fast. I hope Apple bring a smaller model out next year.
  • Reply 266 of 281
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kraemder View Post

You could've let me know because Apple replaced my 5S with a brand new one a few days ago and I want to put it up for sale. I ordered 6+ and used it for 2 weeks since my wife didn't like the size and wanted 6. I like the 6+ screen a lot. After returning it, I went back to my 5/5S and felt like wft. So yesterday, I got a 6+ again in Grey and got rid of all 4" iPhones. I would never go back.

• Reply 267 of 281
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member

If you guys complain about size of 6/6+, remember this: you'll stick with the phone for a few years, make sure to get something future proof. After using 6+, 5/5S feels like midget in my hand. Can't stand it.

• Reply 268 of 281
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member

This article and thread explains exactly why Blackberries survived for so long (and the form factor looks to be returning!)

People here need to stop making the blanket statement that it was a mistake. It was a mistake for the individual, but sales are showing that it was hardly a mistake for Apple.

fwiw, I have small hands and I never thought that I would go to a phablet, but I bought a 6+ for the other functionality I found more important than 1 handed use. I am adjusting and loving my iPhone - a lot of it was because I now rarely carry my iPad mini and pull out my iPad Air a lot less because of the functionality AND screen size of the iPhone.

I am recalling all of the naysayers who couldn't imagine that Apple went to a full screen touchscreen and dumped the flip phone form factor.

• Reply 269 of 281
    Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious View Post

MAYBE an iPhone 6 WON'T FIT in a 5/5s frame

Maybe no one said anything about the 5/5S.

• Reply 270 of 281
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

You could've let me know because Apple replaced my 5S with a brand new one a few days ago and I want to put it up for sale. I ordered 6+ and used it for 2 weeks since my wife didn't like the size and wanted 6. I like the 6+ screen a lot. After returning it, I went back to my 5/5S and felt like wft. So yesterday, I got a 6+ again in Grey and got rid of all 4" iPhones. I would never go back.

Something is amiss then because I use a GS3 and have always used big-screen Android phones, and picking up my wife's 4S makes me never want to go back to my GS3.

But can't do much to get off this 4.7"+ tasteless idiocy until Apple brings back sense and has a 3.5-4" screen again with a latest gen model.

• Reply 271 of 281
    Rightly said. The iphone should be 4" or maximum 4.3" inches. The ipod touch 5th generation is an example where the screen size is 4" and also the edges are rounded which makes it comfortable to hold.
    One thing that can be done is removing the bezels around the two sides of the screen which would increase the display size without making the device grow larger and also make it look cooler. A 4.2 inch bezel less iphone with a retina pro hd display and a thickness of 6.3 mm would be perfect.
  • Reply 272 of 281
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Because my iPhone 5 died and I love iOS. It doesn't make sense to me to invest in an older model as a replacement, since I don't expext Apple to return to a smaller form factor anytime soon.
    Then why the hell did you buy it?
  • Reply 273 of 281

Are there good reasons why smartphones are not hand-shaped?

I.e. ergonomically designed to be held in the hand instead of rectangular?

Artists palettes, joysticks, gun grips, mice, come to mind.

• Reply 274 of 281
    pat100 wrote: »

Pocketability.
  • Reply 275 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pat100 View Post

Really good point. I've never even thought of that. My car keys aren't shaped to my hand and they go in my pocket, so I'd be open to seeing a design that's shaped specifically for the average hand.

Just making the phone small like the iPhone4-5S accomplishes that for the most part. It's when it got too big like my Samsung GS3 and now iPhone6 that things went full retard. You can pretty much thank people like me who bought a GS3 because it was so shiny, that ruined the iPhone. That, and Steve Jobs for dying.

• Reply 276 of 281
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by pat100 View Post

Pocketability.

I dunno, Benjamin...I often have hands in my pockets (generally, my own).

• Reply 277 of 281
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    boredumb wrote: »
    I dunno, Benjamin...I often have hands in my pockets (generally, my own).

Can't have a phone interfere with playing pocket hockey.
  • Reply 278 of 281

Great write up!

• Reply 279 of 281
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member

Was intending to stay with my 5 for another year but misadventure a couple of weeks ago forced me to think again... poor old 5, loved it. I jumped to a 6 Plus and the result... brilliant! My hands are bigger than average and I can reach the whole screen in single-handed mode and so the size isn't an issue from that perspective. I'm a road cyclist however and the phone is snug in my back pocket (but won't allow the Apple headphone connector). Time will tell but I'm already quite comfortable using it.

• Reply 280 of 281
    iqatedo wrote: »
    Was intending to stay with my 5 for another year but misadventure a couple of weeks ago forced me to think again... poor old 5, loved it. I jumped to a 6 Plus and the result... brilliant! My hands are bigger than average and I can reach the whole screen in single-handed mode and so the size isn't an issue from that perspective. I'm a road cyclist however and the phone is snug in my back pocket (but won't allow the Apple headphone connector). Time will tell but I'm already quite comfortable using it.

Watch out.

If you sit on it, you'll become a victim of Bendgate.