Apple expected to begin selling iPhone 6 in China on October 10

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    Every iPhone sold in China is a miracle to
    Me. How many would sell in the US if you had to throw down $800 at time of sale?
  • Reply 22 of 49
    gtr wrote: »
    Did you know that if you take two iPhone 6's and place them end to end, they have a tendency to totally snap in half right here?

That's to be expected if one wants to create two iPhone 6's from an iPhone 12.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

IPhone 6 at $862 in China? Why does it cost so much more there, where it is made, than here?

The Chinese gov't want's to depress iPhone sales as much as possible (to help out Chinese phones). Their regulatory agencies are "doing their job." The Chinese media (gov't) has accused iPhone of being a security risk (via location services, I believe), etc. From what I gather, the Gov't has finally given reg. approval pushed along by iPhone smugglers. Demand is high. iPhone 6+ was specifically designed for Asia and the Chinese market to satisfy a demand for big phone (status symbols & as a main "computer").

• Reply 24 of 49
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yawn. This whole thing was a non-story from Day 1. Nonetheless, glad to hear confirmation.

Huh non-story? You don't believe the Chinese gov't has worked to slow down the launch of iPhone 6 in China?

• Reply 25 of 49
    jakeb wrote: »
    Me. How many would sell in the US if you had to throw down $800 at time of sale?

To some Chinese people it will be their only computer.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

There is no credit in China.? That's all the telecoms are doing extending you a not very good credit offer, typically 9% per year and also locking you in for 2 year repayment plan. If you a line a credit, it is better to finance it yourself (and cheaper).

• Reply 27 of 49
    h2p wrote: »
    Yawn. This whole thing was a non-story from Day 1. Nonetheless, glad to hear confirmation.
    Huh non-story? You don't believe the Chinese gov't has worked to slow down the launch of iPhone 6 in China?

I am guessing that should have been sort of obvious from my post.....

What would they have to gain?
  • Reply 28 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Concessions?
  • Reply 29 of 49
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

LOL.  Ten-Ten day is the official ROC holiday for the formation of the republic (they guys that lost the Chinese civiil war and now live on Taiwan).

• Reply 30 of 49
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Concessions?

What concessions?
  • Reply 31 of 49
    What concessions?
    You asked what benefit China might have in delaying the approval. The obvious answer is to extract concessions. Whether they factually did or not and how anyone outside of Apple and China would know doesn't affect the validity of the answer.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Whether...

He’s not asking that. He’s asking what concessions would be had.

• Reply 33 of 49
    He’s not asking that. He’s asking what concessions would be had.
    If you read my answer to Anand my answer to you is right there too. How would anyone know? Neither party would permit any discussion about it IF it took place. But one answer to Anand's original query is obvious IMO.

Now if the question is what possible concessions would China want I can think of a few. I'm sure you can too.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    You asked what benefit China might have in delaying the approval. The obvious answer is to extract concessions. Whether they factually did or not and how anyone outside of Apple and China would know doesn't affect the validity of the answer.

Congratulations!

You win the Trite-Comment-of-the-Day award.
  • Reply 35 of 49
    Congratulations!

Well thanks! I'll post that on my fridge along with my new "Apple fanboy" tag from Junkyard Dawg. They both have the same importance to them AFAIC
  • Reply 36 of 49
    Congratulations!

Well thanks! I'll post that on my fridge along with my new "Apple fanboy" tag from Junkyard Dawg. They both have the same importance to them AFAIC

The 'fanboy' tag is most definitely fridge-worthy.

However, given the history of your posts, I'd be careful about the triteness award: unless you have a lot of space left on your refrigerator.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    The 'fanboy' tag is most definitely fridge-worthy.

However, given the history of your posts, I'd be careful about the triteness award: unless you have a lot of space left on your refrigerator.

:D
  • Reply 38 of 49
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

They like sending messages.  All sorts of messages are sent to various people by artificially holding up the iPhone launch.

a) to Chinese companies: we can and will protect you...to a point...even if it screws you...we don't mind.

b) to the Chinese people: don't be too enamored of american toys.  It's not in vogue.  Really.  You want to be good citizen don't you? Click-Clack.

c) to Taiwanese companies:  we really don't mind if we screw you when we're screwing with the Americans.  Bonus.

d) to Apple: you need us more than we need you.  Best you remember that.

e) to the US Government:  We can screw with your biggest companies.  If we want them to have a weaker qtr than otherwise...we can.

f) to the Europeans: See, we can screw with the Americans.  Who are you guys again?

g) to the Putin: We can screw with the Americans any time we want pretty boy and we'll do it with our shirt on.

• Reply 39 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

IPhone 6 at $862 in China? Why does it cost so much more there, where it is made, than here?

All non Chinese phones have an additional tax added, its got nothing to do with Apple

• Reply 40 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iRun262 View Post

Stock price will be sharply up on Monday. Glad I'm already in.

Pre-market: 99.20 -1.55 (-1.54%)

Sep 29, 4:15AM EDT  

Glad im not in, these days when AAPL change one day -4% and another +3% is probably better to stay off.