Apple Watch's advanced AMOLED display far more costly than traditional screens - report

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 74
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,084member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    I more curious who the supplier is. I would suspect that Apple is not working with Samsung, but are other suppliers making this display today.

    See the post before yours.
  • Reply 22 of 74
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post





    See the post before yours.

    Actually it could be LG or Japan Display Inc.  LCD technology joint venture by SonyToshiba, and Hitachi. I suspect the second since Apple has had a long term relationship with Sony Toshiba and Hitachi in the past for display, LG display business is next door to Samsung. Japanesse keep secretes better than Korean companies, plus JD inc is not a competitor.

  • Reply 23 of 74
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Ah so apparently Apple is hosting an event with French boutique Colette. I guess that would explain why some Apple designers are in Paris.

    http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/29/apple-watch-colette/
  • Reply 24 of 74
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post



    ...As long as they don't show the home screen in promo shots. I'll be very surprised if most AI members don't find it unattractive and a distraction from the otherwise fashionable watch design itself. Fortunately that part is software which can always be changed.


     

     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post



    It's definitely the part I find the least attractive. As for changing it, Apple tends to keep their "Home" designs for a very long time.

     

    1) It's not the screen that'll be on most of the time. The watch face will be.

     

    2) Its attractiveness is a matter of taste. I find it attractive, but so what? That's just a data point.

     

    3) The key issue is whether, for this from factor, it is functional.

  • Reply 25 of 74
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,084member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    Actually it could be LG or Japan Display Inc.  <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid-crystal_display" style="background-image:none;color:rgb(11,0,128);" target="_blank" title="Liquid-crystal display">LCD technology</a>
     <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_venture" style="background-image:none;color:rgb(11,0,128);" target="_blank" title="Joint venture">joint venture</a>
     by <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony" style="background-image:none;color:rgb(11,0,128);" target="_blank" title="Sony">Sony</a>
    <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshiba" style="background-image:none;color:rgb(11,0,128);" target="_blank" title="Toshiba">Toshiba</a>
    , and <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitachi" style="background-image:none;color:rgb(11,0,128);" target="_blank" title="Hitachi">Hitachi</a>
    . I suspect the second since Apple has had a long term relationship with Sony Toshiba and Hitachi in the past for display, LG display business is next door to Samsung. Japanesse keep secretes better than Korean companies, plus JD inc is not a competitor.

    LG already announced they were supplying Apple Watch displays.
    http://news.oled-display.net/lg-display-plastic-amoled-apple-watch/
  • Reply 26 of 74
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post





    LG already announced they were supplying Apple Watch displays.

    http://news.oled-display.net/lg-display-plastic-amoled-apple-watch/

    thanks for the reference...

  • Reply 27 of 74
    Mmm ...

    Speaking of mobile ...

    A girl and a guy I know, decided to jointly invest in one of those mobile restaurants ...

    They bought the vehicle, but were stumped as to what to call their mobile eatery establishment ...

    After much deliberation, they decicded on: [I] Truck Buddies.[/I]
  • Reply 28 of 74
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

     

    I love my new iPhone 6 128 Space Gray. We just had a new Whole Foods store open in our town, and I can't wait to try out Apple Pay there and elsewhere—with my iPhone and with my Apple Watch Edition.

     

    Life is good.


     

    Fixed it for you :)

  • Reply 29 of 74
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) I've suggesting for a couple years now that AMOLED would likely be the best choice for a wearable because of the deep black that would meld into the border nicely, as well the ability to have very few pixels lit up for the clock or other tasks to help conserve battery life, and the demo we saw definitely points in that direction, but how does NPD DisplaySearch know this as a fact?

    2) How can NPD DisplaySearch make this prediction down to the penny but then not be clear as to what they include in reference to the display components? :???:

    jerry602 wrote: »
    With a full year of manufacturing capacity build out and advancement, seems like a logical conclusion to draw is OLED coming soon to iphone for the battery life advantage.

    I don't see that happening anytime soon.

    muppetry wrote: »
    Flexible for manufacturing purposes, presumably, since nothing about the design released so far, at least that I have seen, indicates a flexible device - in fact quite the opposite.

    I hate when that's not explained well. Too many people still see the word flexible in regards to a component and assume the device will be that way.


    PS: I still have hope that Apple will go the more complex route of making a new core style every year which will allow the S-series complete SoC (and perhaps the sensor array packed around the ceramic inductive charging unit) to be replaceable for many years done the line with a standard size and interface design. I think this would give the best of both worlds for a "smart"-watch insofar that one can collect the yearly styles but have a modern "smart"-watch without losing most features. If you are spending thousands on a gold ?Watch every year then paying $150 for a the updated S-series SoC to be installed probably won't be an issue. I'm hoping that's why they decided to put everything into one chip and seal it with resin, which I hope has least an IP67 rating.

    But, the display of the Apple Watch is flexible -- Watch the keynote ... @67:45 Jony Ive talks about the "flexible Retina Display".
  • Reply 30 of 74
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,084member
    But, the display of the Apple Watch is flexible -- Watch the keynote ... @57:50 Jony Ive talks about the "flexible Retina Display".
    Thus LG's Flex Display as I mentioned several posts back. See what you miss when you block posters?;)
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/182559/apple-watchs-advanced-amoled-display-far-more-costly-than-traditional-screens-report#post_2609356
  • Reply 31 of 74
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Apple catches things fast. That Instagram account I posted a photo from is now private. Although when I first posted it I didn't expect MacRumors to splash the photo on the front page of their website. :no:
  • Reply 32 of 74
    But, the display of the Apple Watch is flexible -- Watch the keynote ... @67:45 Jony Ive talks about the "flexible Retina Display".

    I'm not seeing your point. How does the display flex when it's surrounded on all sides by inflexible materials? Again, there is a huge difference between a component that is flexible that can therefore be manipulated to fit a design and a component that is designed to be repeatedly flexed by the user.
  • Reply 33 of 74
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,084member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1)
    2) How can NPD DisplaySearch make this prediction down to the penny but then not be clear as to what they include in reference to the display components?

    I'm sure you already knew but for others all but the Sport version will have a sapphire cover.
  • Reply 34 of 74
    solipsismx wrote: »
    But, the display of the Apple Watch is flexible -- Watch the keynote ... @67:45 Jony Ive talks about the "flexible Retina Display".

    I'm not seeing your point. How does the display flex when it's surrounded on all sides by inflexible materials? Again, there is a huge difference between a component that is flexible that can therefore be manipulated to fit a design and a component that is designed to be repeatedly flexed by the user.

    1. Jony says the display is flexible!

    2. During the Apple Watch preso they discuss the difference between a tap on the display and a hard press (not a long press)

    3. They also discuss sensors around the display that can detect and differentiate between a tap and a hard press.

    4. Somewhere, [I'll try and find a link] they published an image of the Apple Watch with a small dotted outline of the hard press depressing the flexible display.


    But, one could claim that any display (Nixie tube, CRT, LCD, etc.) is flexible -- because you can choose what to display ...

    In Apple's discussions, they definitely are referring to the fact that the display screen hardware flexes -- not that the content displayed changes.
  • Reply 35 of 74
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'm not seeing your point. How does the display flex when it's surrounded on all sides by inflexible materials? Again, there is a huge difference between a component that is flexible that can therefore be manipulated to fit a design and a component that is designed to be repeatedly flexed by the user.

    When Jony was presenting the ?Watch in the preso-video, when he mentions "flexibility", it showed an animation with the face pushing inwards... kind of like a bubble.

    Edit: pipped by the DA! ;)
  • Reply 36 of 74
    johnnygo wrote: »
    Agreed.  Apple should include free upgrades every X years for the high end models and charge a fee to upgrade the internals of base models for everyone's that want to keep up with new features / software. 

    I disagree on making it free.

    1. Jony says the display is flexible!

    2. During the Apple Watch preso they discuss the difference between a tap on the display and a hard press (not a long press)

    3. They also discuss sensors around the display that can detect and differentiate between a tap and a hard press.

    4. Somewhere, [I'll try and find a link] they published an image of the Apple Watch with a small dotted outline of the hard press depressing the flexible display.


    But, one could claim that any display (Nixie tube, CRT, LCD, etc.) is flexible -- because you can choose what to display ...

    In Apple's discussions, they definitely are referring to the fact that the display screen hardware flexes -- not that the content displayed changes.

    When Jony was presenting the ?Watch in the preso-video, when he mentions "flexibility", it showed an animation with the face pushing inwards... kind of like a bubble.

    Edit: pipped by the DA! ;)


    1) That sounds more like a digitizer matrix than a display that is going to physically warp through sapphire or glass when pressed. I didn't notice the physical indentation of the display when pressed. Is there a screenshot to show it's being physically warped with a hard press?

    2) Again, Ive saying flexiblity does not answer any question I've asked. In fact, I'd say you two are being inflexible by not understanding how the term flex can be used in various ways. :p
  • Reply 37 of 74
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,823moderator
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post





    When Jony was presenting the ?Watch in the preso-video, when he mentions "flexibility", it showed an animation with the face pushing inwards... kind of like a bubble.



    Edit: pipped by the DA! image



    We'll call the 'display' that bit of the watch that includes the cover glass/sapphire, the actual AMOLED component, touch layer, etc.  That whole thing?  That's not flexible.  It's rigid.  But underneath resides a piezoelectric layer that generates a current based upon pressure applied to the display, as the user presses his finger on the display and therefore increases the pressure transferred to the piezoelectric layer.  The display doesn't bend, flex, or deform in any manner.

  • Reply 38 of 74
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,823moderator

    There has always existed something of a dichotomy with respect to a mass market technology product and a luxury product.  The two have seemed never to have been destined to be represented in a single product.  But now we are on the brink of a new era where the sophistication and quality of workmanship of a luxury product is not automatically degraded by the inclusion of electronic components and a digital interface.  But care must be taken in the fusion of the sophisticated world of luxury and the disposable world of electronic gadgets and, in my view, only Apple is in a position to credibly bring this fusion to life.

     

    The neat thing about a mass-market luxury technology product, should this fusion be successfully pulled off as I think Apple will with the Watch, is that the electronic components that represent the functionality and digital interface drop in cost along the technology cost curve we've all become accustomed to, while the exterior design and materials allow the purveyor to maintain high prices associated with luxury goods and a wide range of prices based upon alterations to the design and materials applied.  This Apple Watch is going to be a paradigm shift in the world of mass-market electronics and also what is expected of luxury goods.

  • Reply 39 of 74
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post





    ...As long as they don't show the home screen in promo shots. I'll be very surprised if most AI members don't find it unattractive and a distraction from the otherwise fashionable watch design itself. Fortunately that part is software which can always be changed.




    I expect the "lock" screen will be custom settable much like iPhones with perhaps more widget type notification options...

  • Reply 40 of 74
    solipsismx wrote: »
    johnnygo wrote: »
    Agreed.  Apple should include free upgrades every X years for the high end models and charge a fee to upgrade the internals of base models for everyone's that want to keep up with new features / software. 

    I disagree on making it free.

    1. Jony says the display is flexible!

    2. During the Apple Watch preso they discuss the difference between a tap on the display and a hard press (not a long press)

    3. They also discuss sensors around the display that can detect and differentiate between a tap and a hard press.

    4. Somewhere, [I'll try and find a link] they published an image of the Apple Watch with a small dotted outline of the hard press depressing the flexible display.


    But, one could claim that any display (Nixie tube, CRT, LCD, etc.) is flexible -- because you can choose what to display ...

    In Apple's discussions, they definitely are referring to the fact that the display screen hardware flexes -- not that the content displayed changes.

    When Jony was presenting the ?Watch in the preso-video, when he mentions "flexibility", it showed an animation with the face pushing inwards... kind of like a bubble.

    Edit: pipped by the DA! ;)


    1) That sounds more like a digitizer matrix than a display that is going to physically warp through sapphire or glass when pressed. I didn't notice the physical indentation of the display when pressed. Is there a screenshot to show it's being physically warped with a hard press?

    2) Again, Ive saying flexiblity does not answer any question I've asked. In fact, I'd say you two are being inflexible by not understanding how the term flex can be used in various ways. :p

    See 1;07:38 in

    [VIDEO]


    I originally responded to multiple posts -- don't know if it was you or someone else who claimed the Apple Watch display was not flexible ...


    As to your other point, re the SX chip being replaceable -- I think that is a good idea -- especially for those who buy a watch as a fashion statement.
    .

    In addition to the SX, chip, it would be advantageous to have the cases, bands, etc. replaceable, too.

    I suspect the Apple Watch 2 will add cell, telephony, gps, etc. and be able to obviate carrying an iPhone for most purposes. To power this, I suspect that some bands will contain squishy (flexible?) batteries -- and recharge the watch through the band connectors to the case.


    So, call me inflexible -- but, I'm willing to discuss mobile restaurants ...
Sign In or Register to comment.