Apple rumored to launch 27" iMac with 5K Retina display at October media event

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102

Great 

Love this.  Retina class graphics  should be everywhere including PC. 

My 27" is just a year old so I've got about another 2 years before I upgrade by then I'm looking at Broadwell or Skylake and hopefully NVMe for SSD. 

I don't think 4K is going to be feasible for anything but the most powerful computers for another refresh cycle or two. 

• Reply 22 of 102
    Finally time to replace my 2006 Mac Pro. Kind of a pity. it's still running very well with the Radeon 5770 GPU upgrade.
  • Reply 23 of 102

I can't see how such a machine ($3,000 range) could fit into the lineup and update cycle. Broadwell and 20 nm GPUs will be out until in the first half of next year. An ultra-premium machine that comes with a Haswell CPU and a 28 nm GPU would seemingly be long in the tooth within 6 months. 

• Reply 24 of 102
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    rob53 wrote: »
    Could Apple fit the same GPUs used in the Mac Pro inside the 27" iMac?
    Not a chance with the same power and thermal limits of the current iMac. I would imagine that the GPU would be running on a next generation process. Even then I would expect it to be "hot".
    Would a pair of these be enough to drive a 5K display? How close to the base Mac Pro would the new iMac be (actually the fully loaded iMac is already close to the specs of the base Mac Pro except for the GPUs isn't it?)?
    Not even close. You need to remember that XEONs and desktop Intel processors target different users.
    Of course this model of iMac will be more expensive than $3K and probably cost closer to $5K with smaller size flash drive and memory just to make it somewhat affordable.
    Maybe. However the cost of RAM is so cheap I don't think it matters that much. If Apple restricts RAM too much they just end up looking cheap and stingy.
    I'm still waiting to see how it fits in with the Mac Pro to see which one to buy.
    If you can even consider an iMac you don't need a Mac Pro.
    I'm already factoring in a TB2-connected RAID so 256GB or 512GB flash storage would be plenty. RAM is always the least expensive upgrade so I'll max it out. I don't play games so I'm not worried about that, only about running FCP and other video intensive activity.

Interesting and it makes me wonder if one of the reasons for going with AMD might be the video processing subsection of the chip.
  • Reply 25 of 102
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    It'll probably slot in above the current 27" iMac rather than replace it. Because it's going to be quite pricey I think.
  • Reply 26 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mad Mac Man View Post

I'd love one of these but I can't help what kind of GPU they are going to need to drive one of these displays for anything more intensive than web browsing? High end GPUs on windows PCs struggle to do gaming at 4K resolution and if i'm going to spend £2k ($3k) on a desktop I kind of want it to do a bit a high resolution gaming too.

My guess is they'll have to use something like the AMD Radeon R5, R7, or R9 mobile graphics chipset. I would think they'd use the R5 as Apple never really chooses the absolutely highest possible, even for a BTO. 

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/notebook/r9-m200

• Reply 27 of 102
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I have a feeling the price will be very high.

Why?  Apple doesn't normally raise the prices on their iMacs.  Unless they decide to introduce a "r-iMac" model completely separate from the others, then that's a different story.

Apple makes the good stuff available for the masses.  If anyone can bring the prices down, it'll be them.  Crossing my fingers...

While I've been itching to replace my aging 2009-iMac, I think I will wait for the next-gen Broadwell CPU next year.  Then, I'll have my wish-list fulfilled.

• Reply 28 of 102
    jungmark wrote: »
    Is that a design flaw? /s

How did it fall?

Ha! Bad pinched nerve in my neck, and my cheap ass rose it on a stack of books to try before springing for a stand or arm, and bumped the desk :) I suppose a testament to build quality, fell 3 ft onto a hard floor and that was the worst of the damage...they had offered a free hard drive replacement long ago after tracking I got a batch prone to fail, but as a self employed designer I just couldn't be without it for the 72 hours they could promise for the covered repair, and forgot about planning a later swap. Seems 2-3 years is about average anyway for really heavy use so I lucked out I suppose!
  • Reply 29 of 102
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    hmurchison wrote: »
    Great 

Love this.  Retina class graphics  should be everywhere including PC. 

My 27" is just a year old so I've got about another 2 years before I upgrade by then I'm looking at Broadwell or Skylake and hopefully NVMe for SSD. 

I don't think 4K is going to be feasible for anything but the most powerful computers for another refresh cycle or two. 

Well with Apple never buy rev one is a common cry. In this case though I'd take a wait and see to determine just how bad the screen impacts performance. In other words don't knock it until it ships.

The thing here is that we don't know the exact configuration yet. Since success or failure will be tied tot the GPU we really would need to know just what is being offered up as a GPU. If the go with a next gen GPU with a very fast RAM interface for that GPU the new iMac could be very nice indeed. In general if you look at what is on the market right now it doesn't look all that inspiring, the thermal limts would result in pathetic GPUs. It is well known that AMD has been working on solutions to the GPU performance problems including new RAM technologies. One could hope that iMac would debut GPUs with these improvements.
  • Reply 30 of 102

I dunno… Skeptical. 

Maybe, if they have an AppleTV installed inside of it. (Yes; the long {ridiculously} rumored "Apple Television"). But otherwise, I don't see the point. Anybody who would actually need or benefit from such a resolution on a computer screen would buy a Pro and a separate display (hopefully an Apple). I don't see how Apple would want to put the iMac up against their Pro rig.

• Reply 31 of 102

This so doesn't make sense. I can see a 5K Pro Display, in black, using DP1.3, alongside a refresh of the Mac Pro with DP 1.3, and selling for $2000. And then next year an iMac using that display tech. But to have the display introduced on the iMac? Somehow I doubt it. Be interesting to see what really gets rolled out in the next month.

• Reply 32 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

My guess is they'll have to use something like the AMD Radeon R5, R7, or R9 mobile graphics chipset. I would think they'd use the R5 as Apple never really chooses the absolutely highest possible, even for a BTO. 

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/notebook/r9-m200

The new 980 & 970 gpu's from NVidia are getting rave reviews not only for their performance but also power efficiency.  I wonder if there's any chance, in the future, that Apple brings these GPU's to their product line.

• Reply 33 of 102
    danielsw wrote: »
    Hope this clears the way for a stand-alone 5K display to use with the new Mac Pro.

That's the odd part of this story, no mention of a new Apple display. Can the current DisplayPort(Thunderbolt) handle 5K resolution with one port interface or will they have to use two ports like the old DVI setup?

Personally, I'd like to see a wider aspect ratio but the same height so about a 31.5" display.
  • Reply 34 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

The new 980 & 970 gpu's from NVidia are getting rave reviews not only for their performance but also power efficiency.  I wonder if there's any chance, in the future, that Apple brings these GPU's to their product line.

Well it was rumored in this article that they'll switch to AMD graphics which is why I mentioned those chips. I myself would much rather see NVIDIA chips vs AMD ones. I've kinda always been an NVIDIA fan for some reason. 

I guess the thing is...could Apple fit an NVIDIA 980 or 970 into the enclosure of an 27" iMac and still meet power and cooling requirements. 

• Reply 35 of 102
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    This is great news. My late 2012 suped-up 21.5" screen fails to impress after buying a 13 Retina MBP a year later. Also the internals are good not great- laptop variety.
    Looking forward to this.
  • Reply 36 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonPrice67 View Post

This so doesn't make sense. I can see a 5K Pro Display, in black, using DP1.3, alongside a refresh of the Mac Pro with DP 1.3, and selling for $2000. And then next year an iMac using that display tech. But to have the display introduced on the iMac? Somehow I doubt it. Be interesting to see what really gets rolled out in the next month.

It could be rolled out along side a 27 or larger stand alone display for the new Mac Pro...possibly for the next major revision of the MacBook Pro Retina too. 

• Reply 37 of 102
    jerry602 wrote: »
    Ha! Bad pinched nerve in my neck, and my cheap ass rose it on a stack of books to try before springing for a stand or arm, and bumped the desk :) I suppose a testament to build quality, fell 3 ft onto a hard floor and that was the worst of the damage...they had offered a free hard drive replacement long ago after tracking I got a batch prone to fail, but as a self employed designer I just couldn't be without it for the 72 hours they could promise for the covered repair, and forgot about planning a later swap. Seems 2-3 years is about average anyway for really heavy use so I lucked out I suppose!

That sucks. Now you know you have to nail down those books. Haha.

My iMac lasted 7 years but it didn't attempt suicide by jumping off a desk.

----
    As for the 5k screen, I'm perfectly happy with 1080p.
  • Reply 38 of 102
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Hope this clears the way for a stand-alone 5K display to use with the new Mac Pro.

Me too.

I'm sat here with two Thunderbolt displays connected to a Mac Pro, and it feels like it should be more spectacular than it is!

Still, the Mac Pro does build Random Forrest models at a hell of a speed!

• Reply 39 of 102

Another option for consumers. Some will clearly want this immediately - I see photo people and information people that make their living from being in front of a screen many hours a day wanting this. 

I too question the cost v. upgradability v. value *for me*. I think this bodes well for a 5K thunderbolt display being available at some point in the future, perhaps with some onboard internal graphics processing help? And a compatible mac mini? 

A 5K 27" iMac isn't something I would personally make a priority to purchase. YMMV.

• Reply 40 of 102
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Probably a very nice hobbyist 4K video editing station. New Hero GoPro 4 anyone? I would not be shocked if a stand alone 5K monitor for the nMac Pro isn't coming soon too.